Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Flyguy

Pulling a 5ver with a Toyota Tundra

Towing a fifth wheel with a short bed Toyota Tundra can be a challenge. The DW and I had definite items that we wanted in a 5ver so I had to balance three things; Weight, Floor plan, and Price. Weight wise I knew that the critical thing would be pin weight. I figured that the most weight that the Tundra could handle was about 1250lbs of advertised empty pin weight and since the maximum tow weight is 10,400lbs that this would not be the deciding factor. We found a used 2005 Springdale 249BH with an empty pin weight of 880lbs (perfect!) and a gross weight of only 7880lbs with an empty weight of only 5560lbs so this one meets the weight objective, now to move on to the floor plan. What the DW wanted most of all was not to have the bathroom located in the bedroom, the idea here is not to have guests tromping through our bedroom during the night to use the bathroom, so that room needed to be by itself away from the bedroom. The 249BH has a rear bath and is easy for guests using the sleeper sofa to access (I guess she doesn't mind us tromping through their bedroom but what do I know), so the floor plan qualifies in this respect and everything else is very flexible with us. Next comes price! I needed to have two things line up price wise. First the value of the 5ver had to be such that it would allow for a direct title swap of my TT for the dealers 5ver to include the mounting of my SuperGlide hitch and with the dealer providing the mount kit and the capture plate for the 5ver’s kingpin, we found this combination at one dealership after looking for months, so the deal was made and it was a no money exchange event and I must say that it all worked out OK. The 5ver pulls and handles very well and the Tundra has no problem towing it at all. This is our first 5ver so there was a lot to learn about hitching and unhitching but I think I have it all down pat now. The DW asked me if I was going to start all over again doing mods, I said what do you think? 5vers that I have found to be compatible with the Toyota Tundra (2007-present) are as follows: Keystone Springdale 242, 245, 249 and possibly the 280 (2004- to present. 2007 was last year for the 245). Keystone Cougar 245RKS and the 27RKS Xlite. Forest River Wildcat 24RL.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
KanTC

Smile

I noticed your new signature photo yesterday Flyguy ... was hoping you'd tell us about the new-to-you 5th wheel very soon. Congrats to you & the Misses!! Yes, of course, doing the mods (making it YOUR home on wheels) is almost as exciting getting the new RV. We're very glad that you're still a part of the Keystone family & forum!

Wishing you many (more) happy trails & good times,

Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Flyguy

Thank you so much for all the well wishes.
Timbrens
Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Jim W

Nice camper and good luck to you.

If I may offer some advice to you with the new 5er?
1. Practice backing up and placing this in the spot that you want to be in. The 5er will turn and back-up differently then a TT. Find a large empty parking lot and practice backing between cones in the lot.

2. Make yourself a check list to insure you cover everything in hitching and unhitching the 5er. Do not let other campers talk to you as you hitch and unhitch.

3. Do a pull test every time you hitch the truck to the camper, to insure that you have not high hitch. High hitching is were the king pin is latched around the bottom of the pin and not in the grove of the pin.

4. I would look into Bed Saver from Blue OX for your model of hitch. The bed saver is like a insurance you may not every use it, but it is there. Remember their are only two types of people who pull a 5ft wheel, those that have drop the 5er on the bed and those who will.

I have nick the tail gate in SD with the 5er when I high hitched and did my pull test. Could have totaled the bed if I had not done the pull test and this convinced me to get the BED Saver also.

Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
Flyguy

Thanks for the tips Jim. I have been practicing backing up and so far no problems (by that I mean that it's just as frustrating to me as it was with the TT) however I did learn that even though the Superglide is a great hitch, if you backup uphill you still may not have the clearance you need when making a tight turn! I'll have to watch that. Whenever I trade again (and I will) I'll be looking for a max turn fiberglass front cap to help even more. No complaints with the trailer, it was immaculate both inside and out and the upholstery is like new. The only thing that I found was that this was a basic stripped down "Clearwater Edition" of the Springdale so it did not have 1) tub surround 2) bi-fold stove top cover 3) counter top extension 4) kitchen sink tilt out front storage drawer and worst of all 5) no electrically operated landing gear legs (the electric upgrade kit is on the way) all it took was one time manually operating the crank with the DW wispering in my ear "get tough get tough". I located all the other upgrades and will install them as time and money allows. The dealer did put a new set of tires on it for me (Thank God it came with wheels!) end of story.
Timbrens
Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Outbackmel

5er Comments

Good morning....

A couple of comments.

1. We had a TT previously with the bi-fold stove top. The Outback 5er, not so. Bought a non skid "board" top; comes in black or butcher block grain from RV World. WORKS GREAT....no skid. Towed 700 miles and never moved one inch. About $40... When stationary, you can stow as you would on the bi-fold.

2. I did not "drop" my 5er into the truck bed, BUT, on my first trip out, even with the new style front cap, I "forgot" to leave my tail gate down when backing with the slider in the "manuver" position and bingo dent on top of the gate After much chagrin; I found an inexpensive fix that made me OK again.... 3 lessons learned from this experience for me personally:
1. Make sure you have clearance
2. Take your your time backing and check frequently
3. Only "listen" to others comments and DO WHAT YOUR INSTINCTS tell you.

For me; I was really, really not as well informed as I should have made myself before the trip. I am now !! Heading soon for the Daytona 500 and then on to Bike Week...no future bumps planned at this time !
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Terrydactile

Wow and after that axle swap on the Passport. Someone will get a nice Passport with a nice set of axles under it. I know you will enjoy your 5er.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Flyguy

I know, but it needed those axles no matter what. I see that the trailer has already sold.
Timbrens