Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
kasualkat

Travel RN thinking of living full time in a TT...advice appreciated

Hello All-

First, thank you for taking the time to read this and for posting any advice that you have!! OK, I am a single 37 year old male and I am currently a travel nurse. I have been doing this for 9 months and plan on doing this for probably two more years. Instead of paying all these outrageous short term rental rates, I am thinking about buying a TT....but, I know almost nothing about them. Here is what I do know. I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra, 4wd, 5.7 liter V8....I do not know the transmission off the top of my head, but I can easily find that info for ya. I travel fairly light, just me, my dog and the basic necessities to live. My assignments are usually 13 weeks long and I can end up anywhere in the US. So far I have worked in Alaska and now I am in Colorado (I live in and am from SC)...Questions......

1) How durable are TT's? what kind of regular maintenance should I expect?
2) What can I safely pull with my truck....I don't want to spend 1000's modifying my truck
3) As a general rule, how safe are campgrounds? Also, how common are they? Do I have to worry about people breaking into my "home" while I am at work for 12 hours?
4) Do campgrounds usually allow people to stay for up to 13 weeks? Whats a price range for staying at a campground? Do most have water and power hookups....offer cable tv and internet?
5) What price range should I expect to spend on a TT? What make and model would you recommend?
6) I know this is short, and I just started today thinking about this option, but what other questions should I be asking?

Thank you to anyone who replies!!

Be good,
Kevin
kasualkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
randy69

Too many questions. First start looking for what your truck can pull. Then find what you like in a trailer that you can pull and afford. Then ask question.the rest will come later. My thoughts would be a small used motor home for your line of work.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
EricLynnAllison

Just remember that travel trailers are difficult and expensive to keep warm in freezing temperatures.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

Like stated above, find out how much trailer your truck is rated to tow. Then go to different lots and look at lots of different units. Quality is across the spectrum depending on make. Long term "camping" is up to the park, and only a phone call away for info. How safe a campground is again depends on the management and on site hosts. All should have water,sewer and power. Cable and Internet are park by park. There are apps for phones, woodalls makes a book so you can see what's out there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
outwest

routine maintenance will include packing the wheel bearings, checking the brakes and changing them as needed, winterizing the water system, climbing on the roof a couple of times of year (or more) to check sealant for cracks/leaks and roof for separation, removing old sealant and re-sealing areas on roof, lubricating the antenna a couple of times a year (if it has a crank up antenna), checking exterior routinely for cracks in sealant, visually inspecting assorted bolts (such as the ones that hold the awning on), lubricating various parts, inspecting the suspension and tires, and more. The ones I listed are the biggies that come to mind, but there is quite a bit to it. At the same time, most of the inspections and maintenance only take a little while. It's when things need fixing that it takes a long time.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Outwest summed it up good. Alittle more advice, all RVs need to be maintained or will be junk in a few years. You can pay someone to do it. Or, do it yourself but, they will not be worth much without proper care. A small leak after afew years or other problems can cause as much in repair bills than the rv is worth.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
hankaye

kasualkat, Howdy;

First welcome to the forum ...
Most all of the responses have answered your questions
with a fair amount of accuracy. If you intend to be a full-timer
and live in it year round, then winterizing the water system
won't be necessary, but all the rest will. You may also want to
put some skirting up to help trap some warm under the trailer.
Most, not all Parks/Campgrounds will have some long-term campers
on the property. The dog you mentioned may create a problem.
Some Park/Campgrounds may allow you to keep Fido on a
long line or in a cage type run ... those are rare. Generally, you need
to be with Fido and Fido on a leash.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
bsmith0404

As already mentioned, figure out your towing specs and GVWR of your truck. Then look for a trailer that has an dry (empty) weight 2000-3000 lbs lighter. I would stay closer to 3000 lbs. Depending how much gear you have, you can easily add 1500 lbs and if you will be towing across mountains it's a good rule of thumb to stay 1000 below the rating on your truck. Once you know how much weight you can tow, look at RV manufacturer websites. Many RVs are made by the same parent company, Keystone, Forrest River, Coachmen, Jayco, and Heartland are some of the main ones. Check the specs of the different types and see which ones are in your weight range/price range. Some of the lower quality RVs will be lighter so you could get a larger one, but they may not have the insulation required for "4 season" camping. A good idea to talk to dealers up north about cold weather living. They have more experience with the cold than dealers in warm weather areas. Many dealers will tell you the same info that you can find in the manufacturers website which isn't always accurate, but others will give you the true story of 4 season capabilities. I would look for something with HEATED tanks, not just heated underbellies. Having an actual heater on a tank that can be turned on and off is a big difference than having air blown into the area. Also, units with heat pumps and a fireplace will help keep the chill off without using your propane. Depending on the size of the RV, a second AC can come in handy if you end up down south in extreme heat areas.

Start there and see what you find out, then if you feel it is a direction you still want to go, come back with more specific questions.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and potentially to Keystone RVing.

All the advice you've found above is good to know. If you do decide to go this route, you'll have a BIG learning curve to cope with. One thing that has been "hit upon" by a couple of people is "winter camping"...

Winter Camping is NOT easy in almost every low and moderate priced RV and is even a challenge in many of the "very expensive" brands. No matter which RV you choose, if you're going to be in places like Alaska and Colorado during the winter months, you'll have to make some modifications to how you normally "camp". You'll definitely need to protect your water hose and sewer hose from freezing, single pane windows can allow a significant heat loss, most RV's have, at best R9 insulation in the walls, the furnace is a "battery operated" device and uses about 5-8 pounds of propane daily, so a 20 pound bottle won't last long and it can get very expensive at $15 a refill. You may need to find a couple of 100 lb propane bottles so you don't "run out of gas" in the middle of a cold spell. Skirting is an almost "must have" and will be difficult to install and tear down if you're planning to move from one job location to another during the cold months.

While it's a "joy" to camp in the spring, summer and fall, winter camping has challenges that almost all RV's and certainly all Keystone RV's have some problems overcoming.

Whatever you do choose to do, keep winter's cold temperatures in mind and don't forget that you'll be in an "energy wasting, poorly insulated box" during some pretty cold weeks. It can be done, people do it all the time, but it's not as simple as dragging a camper to a campground, plugging it in and living comfortably during the winter...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
sherri330

My advice to you would be to find an RV show and attend. Not only will you see lots of different models and floor plans, but there will be plenty of people there to answer the questions you posted plus the new ones you will have once those are answered. These shows have RV experts, truck experts, campground representatives, etc. When we started searching, we went to several shows and talked to salesmen and customers alike. We got all our answers in one place. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
theeyres

Your Toyota is going to limit you to a smaller, lightweight trailer. That translates to less insulation, less well-built and probably not suitable for cold climates. As others have said, you can do it, but it will tough. You will have to go to a Toyota dealer or your manual to find out how much you can tow...

As for RV parks, there are just too many variables. Monthly fees are far less than daily but can still run from $400 a month to $1200 or more.

Good RV parks are very safe. Shady, low cost dumps can be bad.

No way we can estimate the best brand or prices without you doing a lot more investigation by going around and looking at new and used units. Just don't believe the salesperson when s/he says "Sure you can tow it." That's seldom true. It's very much buyer beware. You have to know your weights and what you want and can tow.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #12
tailpipe

At a minimum you need a 4 season unit . The crop of new units some have great insulation values. When you camp at a constant 20 degree day temp colder at night it will take a lot of energy to heat the unit. There are many forums that have sections on this, search them out. But yes it is possible and can save you some money if you are selective
on location and stay down below the Mason Dixon line .

Let me mention this we lived for 6 years in a 5 th wheel as far north as Cleveland and as far west as Amarillo Texas. A lot depends on your tolerance for cold weather. If you hate being cold stay south without a doubt.
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Camping Gator

All are interesting points. Something to think about in regard to winter camping. Are you able to request an assignment in the south during the winter months? Florida, Arizona, Georgia, etc. That would take care of that issue. The dog will be an issue if you can't keep it inside for 13 hours while you are working. You may need to budget for a dog walker. Might be some retirees in the park who will do it for a fee. Some RV parks allow for long term or monthly rentals, which would help your bottom line. They may be a little safer. Not as transient and you can get to know your neighbors, who may watch out for your place when you are working. Of course, having a dog might help with security as well. My suggestion is to scout out RV parks where your assignment and next assignment are located. Go make a visit and talk with the park manager about some of the logistics. Rent an RV for a week and see how you and your dog function in that setting. You then will be able to answer some of these questions for yourself. Good luck! I am a nurse as well and have often thought that locum tenons might be fun for a while.
Camping Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
trackhead

I'm an ER travel nurse with stay at home mom and three year old, we have been doing this for 18 months out of a fifth wheel. We love it.

1) How durable are TT's? what kind of regular maintenance should I expect? I've owned every type of RV possible over the years, except a Class A. In my opinion, they are all built like crap and essentially disposable. That's a little harsh, but they really are thrown together pretty poorly.

2) What can I safely pull with my truck....I don't want to spend 1000's modifying my truck. Read the specs about your truck and try to stay close to that. I'm 1,500 over with our fifth wheel, and I've pulled it all over the country many times. I feel safe. The newer you buy, the more camper you get for the weight. I bought a 35' fifth wheel that said it weighed 8500lbs in the brochure. The door sticker on the actual unit said something like 9300lbs. After I bought it, I took it to the CAT scales and it weighed an actual 9800lbs. I individually weighed EVERYTHING i put in it, totally 800lbs for myself, three year old, and wife. How people put 3,000lbs of stuff in an RV is beyond me. You won't have that much as a single guy. I have four pairs of scrubs, not a ton of clothes, two adult bikes, one kid bike, a kid motorcycle (electric), kid toys, etc. I just can't see your extra payload being beyond 1,000lbs.

3) As a general rule, how safe are campgrounds? Also, how common are they? Do I have to worry about people breaking into my "home" while I am at work for 12 hours? I had an active military guy pull a gun on my in the San Antonio KOA. That sucked. But otherwise, I have no issues with wife and kid in 99% of them. When I research campgrounds for travel nursing, I read the Google, Yelp, and all other reviews. I look at all the photos I can find. I look at Google Earth to make sure they aren't within .75 miles of railroad tracks, highways, etc. I pulled into one in California that I reserved, and never even turned my truck off, it was so gross. Most are nice, some are just really bad. Due your due diligence, I won't stay at any that don't average 4/5 stars.

4) Do campgrounds usually allow people to stay for up to 13 weeks? Whats a price range for staying at a campground? Do most have water and power hookups....offer cable tv and internet? We average between 500-700/mos and $50 at most for electricity in moderate climates. We payed for water in California, but it was like $3/mos. Electricity in California is expensive. Internet at RV parks almost universally sucks. Get an Alfa awus036h to boost the campground wifi signal. I use one with a high gain panel antenna that helps out quite a bit.

5) What price range should I expect to spend on a TT? What make and model would you recommend? Can't help you there.

6) I know this is short, and I just started today thinking about this option, but what other questions should I be asking? Buy bigger than you think you need now. You're single, but I guarantee you about six months in you'll get camper envy and want something bigger. Might as well do it right the first time.

Also, RV parks in places like Phoenix, Tucson, Palm Springs, and other retirement communitees suck for 37 years olds because most of them are restricted to 55+ age group. This is a big deal for travel nursing, because, as you know, you follow this age group for work. If you accept an assignment in one of these places, get an RV park secure BEFORE you sign your contract. If it's January, it gets tough. October, no big deal. But likely you won't find an RV park close to the hospital in these areas.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #15
RAWKNG

Thumbs up

Go for it! I live in my fuZion 5th wheel full time. Im 28 year old dude and a Therapist and moved into my rig, love it! See what your truck is rated for and buy a TT, cheaper tow hitch (i think) than a 5th wheel but I didnt mind spending a little over $1,000 for a hitch to pull my home and I like having an "upstairs" to walk into my bedroom.

Do a search for "snowbird rv campgrounds" during the winter months and you get an awesome deal, nearly half the price to park your rig. I am in California and pay $600 per month to be at a lake.

Maintenence isnt that difficult, it happens naturally when you walk around your rig. If you notice anything "off" fix it or replace it. Buy a newer rig and you wont have to worry too much if hardly at all. I honestly dont worry about it much, and like keeping up with regular maintenece stuff. I tinker just the same with my harley and truck.

see what kind of rig you want, depends on what your needs are....I needed a separage garage, nice kitchen, upstairs bedroom, and the ol' lady wanted a darker wood finish and stainless steel on all the interior stuff. We got all of that in a 2010 Fuzion 302 and love it
RAWKNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasualkat View Post
Hello All-

First, thank you for taking the time to read this and for posting any advice that you have!! OK, I am a single 37 year old male and I am currently a travel nurse. I have been doing this for 9 months and plan on doing this for probably two more years. Instead of paying all these outrageous short term rental rates, I am thinking about buying a TT....but, I know almost nothing about them. Here is what I do know. I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra, 4wd, 5.7 liter V8....I do not know the transmission off the top of my head, but I can easily find that info for ya. I travel fairly light, just me, my dog and the basic necessities to live. My assignments are usually 13 weeks long and I can end up anywhere in the US. So far I have worked in Alaska and now I am in Colorado (I live in and am from SC)...Questions......

1) How durable are TT's? what kind of regular maintenance should I expect?
2) What can I safely pull with my truck....I don't want to spend 1000's modifying my truck
3) As a general rule, how safe are campgrounds? Also, how common are they? Do I have to worry about people breaking into my "home" while I am at work for 12 hours?
4) Do campgrounds usually allow people to stay for up to 13 weeks? Whats a price range for staying at a campground? Do most have water and power hookups....offer cable tv and internet?
5) What price range should I expect to spend on a TT? What make and model would you recommend?
6) I know this is short, and I just started today thinking about this option, but what other questions should I be asking?

Thank you to anyone who replies!!

Be good,
Kevin
Several options for you. FWIW I travel extensively for a living, working in industrial construction. Having your own space is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

If you have to go where the asignments are and are going to be going into winter territory you need to look for a GOOD 4 season trailer. One of the better ones out there is Arctic Fox.

No clue what your Toyo is rated to tow, you will have to do the research on that, quick check shows trucks similar to yours rated to 9700#. Personally I would stay under 7,000 GVW on the trailer.

Trailer durability is all over the place. But some brands are better than others. Read reviews, read reviews and research and research some more.

Campgrounds are all over the place in terms of price, quality and safety. Most I have stayed in have been great. Some not so great. You have to pick what you want for yourself. Some of the best campgrounds I have found were by asking at locally owned businesses. Long term stays are usually easier at mom and pop campgrounds than the bigger franchised ones. Area of the country will play into that also.

One of the best I ever stayed in was in Chocowinity, NC; Twin Lakes. I was using a popup at the time and was staying in the late fall, early winter. I was away for the day and a bad storm line came up. The ladies in the office put the top down on my popup for me to keep it from getting damaged. The storm was bad enough that it turned several TT's over.

Every place will be different, but I have enjoyed most of them and have made lifelong friendships.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #17
mazboy123

ff nurse

i want to add that the monthly rate of an RV campground could vary much more than written above. if you go to some of the prime locations, i.e. key west you will be paying somewhere around $2000-3000 a month during the winter.

and campgrounds are safe as any other place generally speaking...just get to know your neighbors and the park staff.

as for trailers and insulation, they are about all the same, the company just throws in some insulation and that's it. get a electric heater for your trailers.

and you probably should look at a used one as your first trailer.

good luck
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote