Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
KnotsUp

Mason-Dixon Crossing I-77 or 95

Heading north to Yankeeland for a month and can choose between routing through the Blue Ridge Mountains which I've driven (without a trailer) dozens of times OR I-95 to DC then through Allegheny Forest which I've never driven.

I-77 through VA and especially WVA has a couple very large (by east coast standards) ups and downs (6% grade) and if I go that will will skip the bypass at Rt 19. Very hilly with lots of starts / stops and stay on 77.

Does anybody have any experience between the two routes? I-95 routing will add about an hour and a half to the total drive but if it's flatter, I'd rather do it.

TV is a Chevy 1500 loaded to about 80% GVWR.
KnotsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
Bombfixer

Have you considered I-81? On I-95 you lose the protection of Confederate Artillery just North of Petersburg. On I-81, you are under the protection on Confederate Artillery all the way to Winchester. Plus you are shielded by the Blue Ridge Mtns from Yankee observation. But there always is the hazard of random bands of marauding bands of Yankee Cavalry. Plus don't change your hard earned money for Yankee money directly. You get a better exchange by first buying Canadian money with your Confederate Dollars and then changing those unto Yankee money.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Too funny

In "Sout Lousana" anything north of I-10 is "yankee land" and anything north of I-20 is "damn yankee land"....

The Carolina's and Virginia? WHOA, now dat's "waaaayyy up dare"

Sorry, Only pulled I-77 and I-64 from Greensboro through Beckley to Teay's Valley, then up into Ohio on US 35. No significant issues on that route, not even a "yankee outpost" on the last trip.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Wantoride

I'm assuming when referring to the allegheny forest your talking western Maryland. If so 95 to 495 to 270 to 70 to 68 to western Maryland can be a tough go, by eastern standards. I like bombfixers advice.i have a 1500 23rb and just recently made the trip and the mountains up there can be a little much for a 1500. I'm new to towing but even though 81 will have a lot of truck traffic, the grade is better. 95 sucks. 495 traffic will make you want to call your shrink.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
KnotsUp

Well Bombfixer takes the cake for best reply to a post ever. Ever. But to his point, yes, the longer I can stay under Confederate protection the better. . However, I'm on the coast so 81 won't do it.

Wantoride, it's sort of west-central PA area. All the roads seem to run perpendicular to where I need to end up in very western NYS so I'm thinking it's not a great option. I think I'd rather have bigger hills on the interstate rather than smaller ones on two lane back roads!
KnotsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
accordionman

mason dixon crossing

I have driven those roads many times . I see you are from S,C, if you are close to I-95 I would go that route .take 95 North to Fredericksburg,Va.

get off and travel North on US 17 and travel West on I-66,Winchester and pick up I 81 north .you can follow I 81 all through Pa to New York . I-495 is terrible . if you look at a map that seems to be the shortest way, but actually is longer . you are basically driving in a circle on 495 I have traveled this way quite often . 95 has plenty of rest stops and is ouite flat . 81 is a little hilly but no extreme hills . expect a bumpy ride through pa on 81 . this past winter did a job on the roads . safe travels which ever way you go and welcome to the North . lots of pretty scenery to view

2013 C0pper Canyon by Sprinter
2013 Ram 2500 HD.

I
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Wantoride

Accordionman is on the money. My 80 year old inlaws take that route to my place from the northern neck virginia. I have come and gone 17 when 95 is under construction ini virginia which, by the way is under construction now from Fredericksburg to dc. Once your past the dc area it's your choice but my advice is avoid 495 and 95 in northern virginia.
I'm not real familiar with west central pa but 15 from Frederick to Gettysburg is no problem. If you head near hagerstown towards the shippensburg route 30 area of Pennsylvania by way of 70 west, keep in mind many commuters travel from hagerstertown to dc and rush hour hits early.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
gearhead

Bombfixer that is THE best response to any post on any forum I have ever read. Congrats.

I'd avoid I-95 at all costs. All those black Lexus', M-B's, and Cadillacs with New York and New Jersey plates running 20mph over the speed limit irritated me.
Ya think they know a good lawyer??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
hankaye

KnotsUp, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
I have driven those roads many times . I see you are from S,C, if you are close to I-95 I would go that route .take 95 North to Fredericksburg,Va.

get off and travel North on US 17 and travel West on I-66,Winchester and pick up I 81 north .you can follow I 81 all through Pa to New York . I-495 is terrible . if you look at a map that seems to be the shortest way, but actually is longer . you are basically driving in a circle on 495 I have traveled this way quite often . 95 has plenty of rest stops and is ouite flat . 81 is a little hilly but no extreme hills . expect a bumpy ride through pa on 81 . this past winter did a job on the roads . safe travels which ever way you go and welcome to the North . lots of pretty scenery to view

2013 C0pper Canyon by Sprinter
2013 Ram 2500 HD.
I
This routing ^^^gets my vote ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
DK Henry

81 is not a bad pull at all. I have done it several times with no problems. Cant help you with the other two.
DK Henry is offline   Reply With Quote