Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Comptech

New Truck Tires,, Well Kind of...

Hi, I am getting new tires for my 2004 Ford F350. I have selected the Michelin - LTX® M/S2 LT265/75R16/E 123R. The same tires I have on the truck now. The tires are about 6 years old and although the tread is fine, the side walls are starting to show cracks and crack swirls?

I guess what i am writing about is after looking at my receipt from the store (wholesale club) I bought them from, and reading up on MFG codes here on the forum. I am just now realizing that they sold me 1 year old tires at the date of purchase. The date code on the tires is 17/08 and I bought the tires March of 2009. I am going to bring this to their attention when I order my new tires and ask what they can do about it, even though it is five years later... I mean who looks for these kind of things when you buy tires?

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
zuley

I agree with you whole heartily but my first thoughts are "good luck with that". I suspect they will do SFA for you 5 years after the fact. Interesting to hear what their response will be.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
jsmith948

Michelin is a popular tire, although higher priced. I bought a set for the DW's car at Carrol's (a west coast discount house). These tires were "on special" and I was pleased to get them for $130 each (this was 4 1/2 years ago). Later, after having learned about tire manufacture dates from this forum, I learned that the tires I purchased in mid 2009 were manufactured in late 2007 & early 2008.
Guess that's why they were on sale
Well, lesson learned. I always look at the date codes now. I wonder if these tires were slow to sell at a discount house in comparison to their less expensive (read better selling) tires as apposed to a Michelin dealer? .... and no, I don't trade there anymore!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
canesfan

Comptech, the newer MS2 have the same sidewall cracking problems as the older ones. Do some Google searches on them. I just had to replace my ~4 year old LTX MS tires due to severe cracking (the tread looked brand new) and after reading a LOT of reviews decided I wasn't going to throw another $1000 down the drain. Also, Michelin has a recall on certain sizes of these tires, but when I talked to them/showed them my tires wouldn't do anything for me. After that experience I decided to spend my money elsewhere. YMMV.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
Comptech

So a question I have is, What LT tire would anyone recommend other than Michelin that can offer a good ride. I tend not to worry about the mileage warranty because I don't put that many miles on the truck. The current tires have been on the truck for 5 years and I only have about 40k on them. I am thinking that the tires will rot/crack before I use up the tread....
And don't all tires eventually crack from UV exposure?

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
So a question I have is, What LT tire would anyone recommend other than Michelin that can offer a good ride. I tend not to worry about the mileage warranty because I don't put that many miles on the truck. The current tires have been on the truck for 5 years and I only have about 40k on them. I am thinking that the tires will rot/crack before I use up the tread....
And don't all tires eventually crack from UV exposure?
I'm the same as you, I don't drive my truck long distances a lot, but I do drive around town regularly. In many years of driving I've never had tries crack like that, especially after only 4 years. Michelins are known for this issue unfortunately. What I'm disappointed in is I could have probably gotten at least another 4 years out of the tread if it wasn't for the sidewall cracking.

I'm not one prone to "I'll only buy/use this brand of anything" thinking, I shop around and try to make informed decisions. When I had to replace my tires because one was starting to lose air I did some research and ended up going with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. We have a fairly new Goodyear store in town and I was going to order them online and have them mounted, but I happened to stop in first and the manager gave me a price that blew away anyplace online, mounted and balanced. So I bought them on the spot. I was a little worried they might be louder than highway tires, and I don't like loud tires. But I had 30 days to try them or they'd replace them with something else. I really like them, they ride nice and don't sound any different than my previous highway tires. Plus they do better in wet conditions where the Michelins would slip, especially when empty. So yeah, I'm quite happy with them, and haven't owned Goodyears in ages.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
HappyCamperMN

I'm planning on using -> Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar for my F350 when it needs new tires. I can't comment specifically on these, but the Wrangler SR-A's I had on our Toyota Sequoia were very nice tires.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
vicali

From what I've heard talking to a couple different tire shops the latest Michelin LTX tread design was opened up to shed more water, but that means the lugs are not as durable and they have been wearing out faster on heavier trucks..

I've got Bridgestone Revo2's on my Tacoma and they have been great, next tires will be a little more chewy though, either the new BFG TKO or Duratracs..
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Comptech

Thank you looks like a good tire, and I think I can get a good discount @ Sears through my Niece who works for them...

http://suvs.about.com/od/tiresandwhe...ith-Kevlar.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I'm the same as you, I don't drive my truck long distances a lot, but I do drive around town regularly. In many years of driving I've never had tries crack like that, especially after only 4 years. Michelins are known for this issue unfortunately. What I'm disappointed in is I could have probably gotten at least another 4 years out of the tread if it wasn't for the sidewall cracking.

I'm not one prone to "I'll only buy/use this brand of anything" thinking, I shop around and try to make informed decisions. When I had to replace my tires because one was starting to lose air I did some research and ended up going with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. We have a fairly new Goodyear store in town and I was going to order them online and have them mounted, but I happened to stop in first and the manager gave me a price that blew away anyplace online, mounted and balanced. So I bought them on the spot. I was a little worried they might be louder than highway tires, and I don't like loud tires. But I had 30 days to try them or they'd replace them with something else. I really like them, they ride nice and don't sound any different than my previous highway tires. Plus they do better in wet conditions where the Michelins would slip, especially when empty. So yeah, I'm quite happy with them, and haven't owned Goodyears in ages.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
Comptech

I do have a concern about how aggressive they look... and what kind of ride and road noise...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M-Wrangltread-1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	5578  

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
I do have a concern about how aggressive they look... and what kind of ride and road noise...
Like I said, I was a little worried about that too, and told the manager I would take him up on the 30 day replacement if I didn't like them. He smiled at me, said wait a minute, handed me the attachment, and said to come back in a couple weeks and tell him how I liked them. He said he wasn't worried about replacing them, but would if I asked, and it was in writing.

Needless to say a couple months later and I still have them, never considered asking to replace them, and I can't tell a difference in road noise or ride from the Michelins, other than, like I said, better wet traction. I've driven 400 miles round trip at 70mph empty, I've driven around town, and I just mad a 400 mile round trip with the new toy hauler. I'm very pleased with them so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2682[1].jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	5579  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Comptech

Canesfan,
Thanks, I am sold on them... Just looking a pricing and ordering...
What tire pressure do you run them around town? front and rear?
My F350 is 55 front and 80 rear MAX, although I found running the rears @ 80lbs (unloaded) made the ride really rough, and the Michelin tire started to cup after while. When I took the truck back to the store they told me they where required to inflate them to max pressure, I ran the pressure down to about 60lbs, the cup went away and the ride was much better...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
canesfan

Mine is like yours, 55 front and 80 rear per the door sticker, which is crazy when empty. I tend to run around 65 both front and back empty. The Duramax is heavy and 55 feels too "mushy" to me and 80 is WAY too much empty, rough and bouncy. I do run 80 in the rears when towing. Neither set of previous tires showed any irregularites running those pressures for 10 years. When I go to the dealer for anything I have to remind my service advisor to put a note on the ticket to LEAVE THE AIR PRESSURES ALONE.

I think you'll really like the tires. I'm very pleased and would say otherwise if I wasn't.

I want to say I paid $800 mounted, balanced and with road hazard even though Goodyear says road hazard isn't available on LT tires, and got a $60 rebate I think. Look at tirerack they usually have good prices and they have a rebate right now. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...75&diameter=16
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
canesfan

Oh, I forgot, one other thing if I remember right is I gained some capacity over the Michelins too for the same size and load range tire.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #15
Wally15

New Truck Tires

I would suggest you compare UTQG ratings when shopping for tires. The Wrangler A-T is a very good tire, but I'd also look at the Cooper AT3's before buying any TV tires. And yes, I am somewhat prejudiced toward Cooper, I worked for them for 25 years in tire manufacturing.
Goodyear and Cooper are the only two American owned tire companies left. I'd personally buy a Bridgestone/Firestone product before buying a Michelin tire. Michelin makes a good tire, but they are somewhat over priced and their customer return policy is just about the worst in the business. Bridgestone has straightened out most of the problems with the Firestone tires from the Wilderness AT/Ford Explorer fiasco from 15 years ago.
Just my opinion.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
tdawg

I have Bridgestone Duelers AT on my C2500 chev. and have been pleased with them
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
Fixjet

Here in northern Illinois the Cooper AT'S are very popular. See way more of them out and about than Michelin. I've had both and will continue to buy the Coopers. Great value, and I just bought a set of Cooper HT's for the summer.
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #18
robo

Being so little use would the store cover them under oad hazzard warranty and replace them ?
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #19
Wally15

I don't know of any tire manufacturer that will warranty replace "road hazard" damage. Most tire warranties are pro-rated based on the amount of tread remaining, but specifically exclude road hazard damage. Sometimes a good dealer can adjust a tire with minor road hazard damage if they think they can convince the manufacturer that some other condition caused the return (malwear, out-of-balance, etc.). The tire dealer is the "middle man" here. They will adjust the tire if they are reasonably sure the manufacturer will cover the adjustment. And the manufacturer wants to keep their dealers satisfied. Almost all dealers carry multiple tire brands. Ask the dealer which manufacturer is the easiest to deal with when it comes to tire adjustments. And which is the most difficult. You'll be surprised at their response.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 AM   #20
Wally15

Tire Age - Inventory issue

The tires are about 6 years old and although the tread is fine, the side walls are starting to show cracks and crack swirls?

I guess what i am writing about is after looking at my receipt from the store (wholesale club) I bought them from, and reading up on MFG codes here on the forum. I am just now realizing that they sold me 1 year old tires at the date of purchase. The date code on the tires is 17/08 and I bought the tires March of 2009. I am going to bring this to their attention when I order my new tires and ask what they can do about it, even though it is five years later... I mean who looks for these kind of things when you buy tires?[/QUOTE]

Buying tires that are a year old is not unusual. Your warranty starts at the date of purchase, not the date of manufacture. Most tires are sold from March-September, but the tire plants generally operate 24/7 12 months out of the year, and build inventory for the peak sales season. Plus the dealer maintains an inventory of popular tire sizes as well. I check the dates on tires before I have them mounted and will not buy a tire that is over 2 years old. If the dealer doesn't like me "inspecting" these tires, I tell him I'm going someplace else. I've never had one let me walk out the door. These tires have all been stored in warehouses or distribution centers and have not been exposed to direct sunlight. Maintaining proper inflation, periodic tire rotation, and keeping your vehicle in alignment does wonders for tire life. Plus minimizing exposure to UV rays/direct sunlight if on a low annual mileage vehicle.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA