Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
Trent McCain

Original Chinese tires finally failed after 5 years.

When we put the coach ('08 Copper Canyon) in storage last fall, I told the wife in the spring before traveling, we need to get tires on it as they were 5 years old, and I didn't want to chance having trouble. I talked with my tire dealer a couple months ago and he recommended Maxis and had them in stock. We had a family emergency arise and needed the coach. I got it out of the building, set tires at 65psi and pulled it 30 mi home. Didn't have time to have them replaced, and figured with cool weather we would make this trip and get it done upon return. Headed out yesterday and made it 45 mi from home and lost one. Had everything for tools except for a deep well socket to get the spare off. Called tire shop and they sent their truck. I figured if I was paying for a Sunday call I'd just replace all 4. He arrived, put the spare on and we limped back to their shop. They had Freestar or Goodyear Marathons both D load range. We installed Goodyear. I really wanted E range Maxis, but as I told the wife, these had plenty of capacity and are far better tires than what came on it......and we had decent service with those. We wouldn't have made it on the other 3 either, as they had separation, and one had a bubble the size of a hen egg. So we were lucky we got that far. If traveling though north western Kansas give Willie and James a call at Kansasland Tire in Goodland. They got us going and on our way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
CWtheMan

The maximum life expectancy for ST tires is 3-5 years. No one should expect more than that no matter what the mileage or storage time is. Even the Maxxis brand sets their warranty at 5 years from date of manufacture not date of purchase.

CW

p.s. That's not in any way provided as a slight. Some people just don't know all the facts about their ST tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Trent McCain

Yep, that's why it was on the list of things to do before we started using it this year. I'm regretting not doing it, but it was an emergency trip.....thankfully we got it fixed and arrived at our destination. It just cost a little more than if I'd got it done before we left. I was surprised with all the neg on Chinese tires that we made it as long as we did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
wowchad

We just bought a 2009 Outback LOFT over the weekend (our first TT) and after reading about tires on this forum we stopped for a new set on the way to pickup trailer. I made it home no problem but I'll be swapping the new tires / rims on before our first trip.
What a vacation wrecker that'd be...
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote