Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Bushey86

Insurance question

Hi guys, I just got approved for my new 29BHPR! I'm curious about insurance. Do you have any opinions on companies and what coverages to get or avoid? My insurance company wants to add it onto my existing policy and said I don't need much more than just basic collision and coprehensive coverage. She says just about all incidents will be covered by the tow vehicle policy or my homeowners policy. Also got some quotes from the internet who want to sell me all sorts of other coverages for a significant cost increase. Thanks for any feedback you can give.
Bushey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
azlee56

I know this has been discussed, go on search up above and type in insurance and see what comes up. You can read while awaiting additional feedback. My fear was if the trailer ever came unhitched or fishtailed badly I wanted to be covered which is normally covered under your vehicle insurance. If the trailer is sitting in my yard and something horrible happened, I wanted to be covered and my house insurance wouldn't cover it.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

X2 what Azlee said. In many states, if a "vehicle" requires registration, the homeowner's policy will not cover any loss or damage to that item. Homeowner's will, in most cases (not in all) cover any liability claims that may arise caused by that "vehicle". But if it's sitting in your yard, not hooked to the vehicle and happens to burn, it's not covered by many homeowners or auto policies.
That being said, most automobile "rider policies" don't do an adequate job of protecting your investment. I'd urge you to look at Good Sam or Progressive Insurance policy. You may not want to purchase from either of those companies, but compare their coverage to what you're looking at. In most cases, you'll find them to offer better coverage at a cheaper price.

One of the "really good" offerings from these two companies is the total loss reimbursement. If you have the proper coverage, during the first 4 or 5 years, they will replace your "totaled" RV with a current year model of the same brand (or reimburse the cost of replacement with a new RV). If you've ever looked at the depreciation on most RV's, you'll soon realize that a total loss in year 2 or 3 won't even pay your note off, much less protect your investment.

Additionally, towing for RV's is not included in almost every automobile policy. Service calls to change a flat, help hitch a broken rig, etc are not covered. You'd need an "RV specific" policy to protect yourself in these situations.

I'd urge you to do some comparative shopping before you "settle" on letting your automobile insurance company "write you a rider".

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Bushey86

Thanks for your input. I checked out those two companies you mentioned, and neither one is available in Massachusetts. But I get your point, I'm going to check some more companies. I think it's worth the extra cost for peace of mind, I was just curious what other people were doing. Just hoping to find a company that will insure a. TT in Massachusetts. Again thanks for your input it's greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
azlee56

wow, Good Sam isn't available in your state? I thought they were every where!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
KanTC

Ditto, on the above posts... and, as an added note... if you finance an RV, you may be required (by the lien-holder) to carry a certain amount/type of coverage.

As John mentioned, we carry "replacement coverage" on our RV's. For us, it's worth the few extra $ a year when compared to the depreciated value if the RV were a total loss.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
GaryWT

All my cars, the trailer and the house are through the same agent. They have the truck and trailer through the same company, each with a policy, they are with Travelers.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
murphysranch

I had signed up with USAA who farms it out to Progressive. But when we signed the papers, the finance gal also offered insurance which had far better coverages at about the same price. We got the replacement clause, a 50K liability cus we're brand new at all this and can't afford to go without, and the towing. AAA won't cover our trailer for towing, but this policy will.
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Bushey86

I just checked out travelers. They don't have travel trailer insurance according to their website. I also have travelers for my truck and home. My agent says she would go through foremost for the dedicated rv policy. Foremost is the company my dealer got me a quote from. Someone in California. I've also been told about Borden, waiting on a quote from them. Other than that I'm not finding many choices here in Massachusetts.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Good Sam does not write polices in any state .... in most states GMAC writes for them .... in New Jersey, GMAC no longer writes policies so Good Sam has Plymouth Rock handle them. I think if you look into it further you will find that someone writes policies for them in your state. Just be sure that the policy you get covers the trailer for comprehensive (and you for liability) when it is not attached to the TV. That is what distinguishes between an auto policy with a RV rider and a true RV policy. There are others with similar policies but I only have experience with Good Sam. They know RVs. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
GaryWT

I had Foremost when I had the seasonal as I was not towing. I am in Mass and have Travelers on the truck and trailer, went through the agent I have had for 26 years. I have whatever coverage the bank required.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the Good Sam website: http://www.goodsamrvinsurance.com/

RV insurance is available in MA. If you go to this link, you can get a good comparison of what GS offers and generally, what automobile insurers offer. Even if you don't request a quote, reading the differences in types of policies and what is/isn't included is an "eye opener" to say the least. If you do some good "quiet time" comparisons where you're able to sit down and concentrate on the offerings, there are lots of lessons to be learned about why you should be cautious about automobile insurance covering an RV.

Certainly, not all auto insurance companies offer "limited" coverage in many parts of the policy, but making sure you get the best bang for your buck takes some comparing of what's available to you. Don't take an auto insurance agent's word that they offer the same as an RV policy unless you know what's being offered by both. Many agent's simply aren't familiar with what is available and they "honestly" think their auto policy is comparable. Trust me, 99% of them aren't the same coverage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
bsmith0404

I spent countless hours a few years back calling for quotes, Geico had the best price on the RVs back then (all my autos are through USAA). Still do spot checks from time to time and they are still lower. Had a complete loss on a one camper back in 2011 after a major hail storm knocked out every window, busted every exterior light, destroyed the roof and everything on it. Geico paid book value, which was still more than I had paid 2 years prior and they kicked in $2k extra when I provided a receipt for a new refrigerator I had installed a few months earlier. For only a few hundred a year, you can't go wrong.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
Bushey86

Thanks for all the great info! Just FYI. Again goodsam does not offer travel trailer insurance in ma. If you type in a ma zip code it brings you to the national general insurance agency page, which in turn says they are sorry but it's not available in my area. Still looks like foremost is basically the only way for me to go. Does anyone have any experience with foremost?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Bushey86,

I didn't go that far on the website. I only went as far as typing in a Boston zip code and it went to the National Insurance page, I supposed it would then go on to your personal information. Foremost was the underwriter for Wally Byam (Airstream) Club in the 60's and 70's, and also for Good Sam "back when". They started out in RV insurance years ago underwriting all the Mexico travel insurance for caravans going south of the border. They have been in the RV business at least since the 60's. That's no testimony to their quality, but certainly to their longevity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushey86 View Post
Thanks for all the great info! Just FYI. Again goodsam does not offer travel trailer insurance in ma. If you type in a ma zip code it brings you to the national general insurance agency page, which in turn says they are sorry but it's not available in my area. Still looks like foremost is basically the only way for me to go. Does anyone have any experience with foremost?
We have Foremost. Have not had any claims. They offer the same coverage as GoodSam. IMO, the cost seemed very good for the coverage. This our second year and the rate did go up $50. I called to inquire as to why and was told because of a high claim rate the previous year in PA. I think the cost is still reasonable for coverage and will see what happens to the rate on year 3.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
Bushey86

I'm pretty sure I'll go with foremost for thus year anyway. Geico and progressive both said they applied with the state and should be ready in 6 months. Maybe next summer there will be some competition. There is definitely an advantage in coverage with a dedicated trailer policy vs. just a rider on your truck. Thanks everyone for your help
Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
fla-gypsy

I use the same carrier as my tow vehicle to avoid any unpleasantness just in case something does happen. State Farm in my case
Old 03-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
hankaye

Howdy All;

Be very careful when you talk with the Geico folks. Last year I
called and asked them a question about my policy (been with them
since August of 2010), as a fulltimer and sitting pretty much in one spot.
The young lady asked me how many days per year I had mine 'on the road'
(meaning away from home), could be at a seasonal location I presume,
However, as I didn't do that, I was dropped. The only Geico agent is in
Albuquerque and they also handle Farmer's and shuffled me to a Foremost
(a division of Farmer's), policy. I asked that my payments fall on the 3rd.
of each month. They responded by billing me on a 30 day cycle that would
have migrated to the 'short' side of my retirement checks arrival. They
wouldn't work with me so I moved both of my policies (Truck and RV),
to Progressive. They will work with me to ensure that my payments are made
when it best suites me, not them. My coverage is the same I may pay a few
$'s more but I have had a positive customer service experience and that
makes it worth it for me.

Just my experience ... but watch how you answer their questions or ask them
why they ask particular questions especially if you are a fulltimer.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #20
redridinghood22

Angry re: insurance

Stay away from National Interstate/Explorer RV insurance company based out of Ohio...We have had insurance with them for 10 years and this spring when we opened our 2004 Rcokwood up for season we found serious cracks in our vinyl floor from the extreme cold and found black mold that resulted from a cracked front vent ..Two independent appraisers have said its a total loss and they are refusing to pay. they have been dragging their feet for the past 8 weeks...they think I am going to get tired and give up but they don't know me very well...I will never give up until they do what is right.. Steer clear and avoid the constant headache I have had for the past 8 weeks..
redridinghood22 is offline   Reply With Quote