Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
sandee

DRW/SRW-Long bed/Short bed

At what point is a DRW required/recommended when using to pull a fifth wheel. Is it the length or weight of a fifth wheel that would require a move up to a DRW? We are looking at an RV weight of 14,500-15,500. Length of 36-40 ft.

Also, would a long bed or a short bed be best? I thought a long bed gave better stability and was surprised when I found out my sister and BIL's new truck is a shortbed, as they intend on pulling a DRV Mobile Suites with it, AND they did not get DRW. Now, granted, it is a brand new top-of-the-line 3500 Dodge, so I'm sure it will have NO trouble pulling the DRV, but I was surprised at some of their options.
sandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
mguay

Pin Weight and Payload is the deciding factor.
Will it pull it?
Of course!
Will it pull it safely?

Long beds generally have more payload than short beds.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
asp125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandee View Post
At what point is a DRW required/recommended when using to pull a fifth wheel. .
Add up the pin weight (hitch weight) of your trailer, and all passengers and gear that you will carry in the truck, and compare that number to the truck's stated payload capacity. Don't forget tools, lawn chairs, coolers etc that may travel in the bed or cab.
asp125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandee View Post
At what point is a DRW required/recommended when using to pull a fifth wheel. Is it the length or weight of a fifth wheel that would require a move up to a DRW? We are looking at an RV weight of 14,500-15,500. Length of 36-40 ft.

Also, would a long bed or a short bed be best? I thought a long bed gave better stability and was surprised when I found out my sister and BIL's new truck is a shortbed, as they intend on pulling a DRV Mobile Suites with it, AND they did not get DRW. Now, granted, it is a brand new top-of-the-line 3500 Dodge, so I'm sure it will have NO trouble pulling the DRV, but I was surprised at some of their options.

Did they buy a Ram Mega Cab 3500 diesel SRW?

If so this may be a short box but it has the same frame has a long bed truck. Another point the SRW trucks only offer one gear ratio for the 2013 and up trucks for right now with the Cummins engine. Did they order the 68RFE auto or did they get the AISIN auto transmission?

Now has far as A Dually truck or Single Wheel this debate will go on for every. The newer trucks have a higher weight ratings then the older trucks so you need to know what the axle weights and what is the truck maximum weights and these are on the weight placard on the B Pillar of the truck. This is what is important in determining what and how the truck can tow.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
rnkburg

With that set up the aisin is the way to go, and the dual wheel rear with long bed would be my choice. The new cabs in the 2013 are almost as big as the older mega cabs and the weight of that camper will still walk a single wheel. You will feel more comfortable in the dually. I had the single long bed and upgraded to the dually, it is amazing the difference it made

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Mark TC

Here is a Ford like for towing

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...superdtypu.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
fred1609

I'm guessing 14K is the dry weight.....loaded its gonna be another 1500 to 2000 lbs at least. I would buy a DRW.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
KanTC

Sandee,

As others have said, 5th wheel's "loaded pin weight" & the truck's payload capacity will be the deciding factor.
Some 5th wheel hitches can weigh 200-250 lbs (or more) depending on the brand... which must also be factored
into the equation.

As a "full-timing" family of 4, your circumstances will be very different than the average (vacationing) RV'er.
You'll have/carry A LOT more 'stuff' in the RV, and will accumulate even more over time. That said - not only will
you need the appropriate truck, you'll also need to choose a 5th wheel with sufficient 'Carrying Capacity'.

Happy shopping, and Happy New Year!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Javi

You're in DRW territory with 16K... Heck I regret few things that I've done or failed to do; not buying another dually is one of those I regret daily.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
6x6

Just my 2 cents worth,........ a longer bed and wheel base gives you a better ride, but that is just my opinion. With DRW your rig sets on the road in a cross wind a bit better then a SRW, ............again just my 2 cents
13300 GVW
2014 Montana 3625RE
6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
Just my 2 cents worth,........ a longer bed and wheel base gives you a better ride, but that is just my opinion. With DRW your rig sets on the road in a cross wind a bit better then a SRW, ............again just my 2 cents
To me it is the wheel base and only the wheel base that maters for a better ride quality in a pick-up truck. I have a short box truck with a wheel base of 160.5 inches and the long bed truck wheel base is also 160.5 inches for that model year, so bed length has nothing to do with the ride quality; it is wheel base.

As for stability of a DRW truck over a SRW truck that is a matter for debate. Now to me the real issue is load capacity of a SRW truck and towing mass that matters in choosing a tow vehicle. My SRW truck can safely tow my 5er and I have never had stability issue when towing; but again my towing mass is under the maximum safe towing capacity of said truck and axle mass ratings.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Javi

It is somewhat akin to explaining that something will burn you if you touch it to someone who has never been burned.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
Hansel

If I had to do it again I'd buy a DRW, PERIOD!!!!!!

I love my F-250 CCSRW 7.3L, but boy having the DRW would be wonderful

Ya they can be a pain in the rear when going to the grocery store, but you will adapt to tiny parking spot's. But if you can swing it, get a long bed DRW truck.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #14
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Ya they can be a pain in the rear when going to the grocery store, but you will adapt to tiny parking spot's. But if you can swing it, get a long bed DRW truck.

Actually they aren't that bad! They have the same turning radius as a CCLBSRW. If you can get used to the "School Bus" length...the extra set of wheels usually isn't a problem! My theory is that "If the mirrors are going to hit...SO will the duals"! The only time the duals are a small pain is at a drive through with curbs on both sides. Not only do you have to pay attention to mirrors hitting the building....but you have to watch the duals in the convex mirror to guide them through the curbing.

In parking lots, once you master backing up, it is much easier to back into a spot!

Once you have done it a bit...you forget that it is an issue.

I'm on my 3rd DRW. Between my 1st and 2nd I had a SRW and was like....
Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
danjentravels

I know this is an older post but would throw something else out there I didn't see in post. There was talk of safely towing but how about legally. Also I have owned an 06 srw cummins 3500 qc longbox and traded in for 07 qc 3500 drw longbox . Huge difference and unless you've hauled with both you really wouldn't know. Another thing is 4x4 or 2x4. More gvrw with 2wd. In dodge I found megacab 3500 gvrw was 10100 and my dually is 12200. My old truck was 9990 or around there. I do know the gvrw on ford are quite a bit more for whatever reason. For us it comes down to safety and legally as a ticket for overweight would suck while trying to have some r+r. Just my $.02
danjentravels is offline   Reply With Quote