Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
boalsburgpighead

Gps

I'm looking to buy an RV specific GPS. Can anyone give me any opinions on any units they have used?
boalsburgpighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
bobbecky

We are using a Magellan RoadMate RV9145-LM, which we changed to in June, after being led down some very narrow streets in Washington on the way to a park, and ended up being sent left instead of right at the last intersection before arriving at the park. No fun turning a 39 ft 5er around on a levee road. It has worked very well, especially with the dimensions of our rig set up in the GPS. It also has RV parks pre-loaded, which really helps, when some of the addresses don't work when trying to enter them manually.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
ktmracer

We have the Garmin RV760. Love it. While the routing is good, what IMHO sets it apart is the other RV related features. Huge list of campgrounds, public, private, FS, BLM, COE etc and RV relelated repair, service, sources list. usually lists other info about CG when you pick one as well. Facilities, # sites, etc.

On any GPS, much of the data is supplied by the various states regarding road conditions. Things such as clearance access etc. are often provided by the state road departments. so if it is bad, so is the GPS data and corresponding GPS routing.

As an example going down US 101 in southern oregon is a tunnel with a "clearance" of 10'. Well, NOT really. the clearance listed on the waysign is the side clearance near the bike lane. travel lane clearance is over 14'6". Well guess what a clearance search or GPS will do when you spec a 11' height! yup, will try to route you through I-5.

I've learned over the years to look at a map for the expected route and see if the GPS takes that vs. something else. If something else, then check to see why.

We used it on a 2,000 mile 3 wk trip around idaho and western montana and it worked as I expected and was really helpful finding CG and things to see and do.

the good/bad side is the size. 7" display gives you lots of info. 7" display takes up lots of space.

If you expect any GPS to keep you out of trouble due to trailer length, height or weight restrictions and you will always be routed on roads suitable for pulling your trailer....... Well, you expectations Won't be met. To many places where data does NOT exist on roads to satisfy that criteria.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
placergoldman

Look at the Rand Mcnally GPS. It has been very good for us...
placergoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
concours

Rand McNally worked great for us too lots of good features plus works with Good Sam route planner
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
B&T

We went with the Good Sam RVND 7725 Gps (which is Made by Rand Mcnally) from camping world. Got free lifetime map updates with it. Lots of Rv specific functions on it and contains the Good sams campground listings. Was really surprised at the difference in screen size (7") as we had a 3-1/2" Garmin before. All in all, we are pleased with it.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
geo

I fully agree with ktmracer!!! I was able to get the Garmin RV760LTM direct from Garmin before general release. It is linked to my cell phone for weather and traffic instant updates. While good driving, a good map, and common sense are always required, the Garmin is an excellent source of information. I wouldn't part with it now.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
fendix

I use the Smart truck app for my android phone. I type in my truck/trailer lenght, height, and weight and it sets up appropriate directions. I've never had an issue with it.
fendix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
fred1609

We have the Garmin RV760 and its worked out well....still working out everything this unit can do......what I especially like is the units ability to warn of traffic congestion ahead and how long before you get through it....very cool....love the big split screen too......very happy with this unit.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
boalsburgpighead

Thanks for the help.

This is one of the greatest things about this forum- being able to ask for advice ! I appreciate everyone being so helpful.
boalsburgpighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
x96mnn

I know it has been 9 months since this thread was started but makes sense I think to ask advice here instead of a new thread. I am thinking about buying the garmin 760, has the data gotten any better on the restrictions as it was my main reason for wanting it. Has anyone used it in Canada? Has anyone used a downloadable app for iphone that has worked better?
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Jim Dow

Which GPS?

I use Google Maps and Smart Truck on my iPhone. So far; so good.

I did purchase the Dual XGPS 160 Sky Pro (external GPS) for my job; and I use it through the BlueTooth connection of my iPhone. This increases the positioning of the iPhone to within about 4'. Up to 5 devices can be tied to it via BlueTooth; so my wife's iPhone and my iPad are always tied in to the same accuracy. The battery life on the Sky Pro is about 10 hours.

I don't see a need for some specialized GPS (RV) when the smart phone apps just keep getting better and better.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote