Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
DennisT

Spnfld 266RL stock wheels: OK up to 65# pressure? Called Keystone who has no clue.

Going to get a new set of tires for our 2009 Springdale 266RL from local Les Schwab store. Schwab recommends moving from these factory 6-plys, (50# pressure), to 8-ply's, which would run at 65# pressure. The only stamps I can read, front and/or back, of steel wheel is the load rating.

I called Keystone directly to see if their Chinese wheels will hold 65 pounds air pressure. As suspected, they do not know anything about the very wheels they use when they manufacture a trailer. Just said to use same tire again.

Has anyone gone up to 8-ply on stock steel wheels?

I'd love to add a safety margin to wheel capacities, but have read here on these forums for weeks and always see it is a big controversy. I'm inclined to not change much from factory stuff. And I AM well within our TT weight and added travel loads limits now.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

More wheel specs might be stamped on the inside of the rim so the tire would have to be taken off to see it. Can you remove the wheel and tire and take it into Schwaab and let them examine it to see if the wheel is rated up to 65 lbs?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
DennisT

wheel

Actually I'm leaving in a few minutes to do just that. I should have mentioned it in my post, but forgot. I already have my wheel in the car's trunk. Along with, I might add, the spare wheel/tire from my flat bed car trailer, which appears to be the same exact wheel and tire but the wheel is American made and markings are much easier to read. (But no pressure rating on it either)

I'll soon see if any stampings exist inside the wheel.

Dennis
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
DennisT

wheels

Back from Schwab Tires. We had a long discussion, and based largely on our running our TT under capacity all the time, I decided to replace the tires with the same 6-ply ratings so the air pressure on the wheels will continue to be the, "stock," 50 pounds.

Whew.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
Back from Schwab Tires. We had a long discussion, and based largely on our running our TT under capacity all the time, I decided to replace the tires with the same 6-ply ratings so the air pressure on the wheels will continue to be the, "stock," 50 pounds.

Whew.

Thanks,
Dennis
Good to know. We have an 08 266RLS and we need new tires. Will go and get estimates on Monday. going to go to at least three different tires shops.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
fla-gypsy

My wheels also only have a load rating on them of 2600 lbs. Tire pressure inflation charts tend to be very similar to load ratings and you may be able to extrapolate the load rating to a specific pressure.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
DennisT

PM

Andymon:

Sent you a private mail.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
My wheels also only have a load rating on them of 2600 lbs. Tire pressure inflation charts tend to be very similar to load ratings and you may be able to extrapolate the load rating to a specific pressure.
Were you the original owner? If so, how long did the OE tires last? I'm just curious about those bias tires. Did you replace them with radial tires? The ST225/75D15D tires were a good fit for your 2600# rims. Anything with more load capacity would require upgraded rims.

FastEagle
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Were you the original owner? If so, how long did the OE tires last? I'm just curious about those bias tires. Did you replace them with radial tires? The ST225/75D15D tires were a good fit for your 2600# rims. Anything with more load capacity would require upgraded rims.

FastEagle
I am the original and only owner. The original OE "Duro"crack tires made 18 months before disintegrating. I replaced them with Maxxis 225/75 15D radials which served me 6+ years. I recently replaced those with 225/75 15E tires. The D rated tires inflated to 65 psi max and had a 2540 load rating. My wheels have a 2600 load rating. By inflating the current E tires to 70 psi I have a 2620 load rating. The wheel has no psi limit on them only a weight limit. Exceeding 70 psi makes no sense because the wheel rating would be and is the limiting factor. I still gain more reserve than I had and the tires easily support the full GVWR of the TT anyway. All things considered it was a safe play to upgrade the tire without a wheel upgrade but a future wheel upgrade could result in more reserve.