Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
MicheleF

How to ask for what I need?

We just bought a 2010 Alpine FW with original tires. We're about to go out on our first trip, and are debating whether or not to change the tires here (Ontario, Canada) or wait until we are in the US (heading to Memphis).

I want to make some calls to get pricing, but I don't know what to ask for. I know I should ideally be able to read the number off of the tire - the problem is that the trailer is 2 hours away right now.

Can anyone help? Also - any recommendations for brands?

Any recommendations for tire dealers in Dayton OH (our first stop.)

Thanks -
Michele
MicheleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleF View Post
We just bought a 2010 Alpine FW with original tires. We're about to go out on our first trip, and are debating whether or not to change the tires here (Ontario, Canada) or wait until we are in the US (heading to Memphis).

I want to make some calls to get pricing, but I don't know what to ask for. I know I should ideally be able to read the number off of the tire - the problem is that the trailer is 2 hours away right now.

Thanks -
Michele
Michele -

When Festus2 gets online, he will probably give you quite a bit of insight as a Canadian buying tires in the States. Several months before we traded our Alpine in, I bought new Goodyear G614 tires for it, and I believe the original tires were 235/80R16E. I wanted to go with a tire that had a little more "build" than the Tow Max tires that were stock. You will get plenty of tire advice here on the Forum! Goodyear, Michelin, China Bombs . . . However, I would suggest you look at Discount Tire's website and where they are located in your planned travel area. You can actually order the tires, set up an appointment, etc., online, then pay for the tires when you arrive at the appointment and have them mounted. Discount Tire will also rotate and rebalance the tires for the life of the Alpine . . . when you get back to the States . . . at any Discount Tire location. (Note: I am not affiliated with Discount Tire except as a customer.)

If you are going to Memphis, might I suggest you look at the Graceland RV Park. It is nice, reasonable, and has good security. It is right behind The Heartbreak Hotel in the midst of Graceland. Just don't miss the turn-in on the northside of the hotel! There is a free daytime shuttle service from the hotel down to Sun Records, Gibson Guitar, Beale Street, and Rock & Roll Museum. About 6 blocks away from Beale Street is the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel. It is an excellent museum. Also, from the Hotel, there is a pay bus service nightly to head down to Beale Street to visit the clubs to hear some real Memphis blues!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
Bob Landry

Look up your trailer(current model) on Keystone's website. In the floorplans and spec, they list the tire sizes that come with each trailer. Most all use the same tire. I doubt that Keystone have varied from the tire and wheel combination in this short of a time period. You might also be able to call Keystone Customer No-service and find out. If you do, let us know how that works out for you. You may get what you need if you can get past their call screener.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
BeerCan

To make an accurate recommendation we need the trailer gawr. According to Keystone it has 235/80R16E. If you have 6k axles I would go with the Duravis 250 or the XPS rib (or similar). If you have 7k axles you either need to stick with ST or go with a 235/85R16 F or G rated tire. I don't like the ST tires at this weight and G rated tires can be expensive. Many people like the GY614 in G rated but I opted for the less expensive Sailun S637 and I am satisfied with the purchase. Another lower cost option in the G tire is Geostar. If you stick with the ST tires I have always had good luck with Maxxis.
BeerCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleF View Post

Thanks -
Michele
Here is a little tidbit to keep in mind while seeking replacement tires for your Alpine. Even though it probably came with ST235/80R16E tires they cannot be replaced with any LT 16” LRE tires. All 2010 alpine models were equipped with 7000# axles. In all probability those axles were derated to 6750#, (look on the trailer’s certification label to verify the GAWR) or very close to that figure. Currently there are zero 16” load range E Light Truck tires capable (suitable) of the minimum requirement for fitment on those axles.

http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-y...pine&year=2010

CW

p.s. OK, here is a little background information on the ST235/80R16E tires. They are produced in three distinct load capacities, all at 80 psi; 3420#, 3500#, and 3520#. When a tire size is produced like that with three different load capacities the lowest load capacity takes precedence. So, only the 3500# & 3520# tires qualify for fitment on 7000# axles. Because of the 3420# tire, Keystone would have to inform NHTSA of the specific load capacity of the tires used on the 7000# axles and insure that information was on each certification label and in the trailer’s owner’s manual. To avoid that hassle Keystone just lowers the axles GAWR to fit the situation. The owner can use any of the three load ranged tires.

Below is a picture taken last year of a Keystone trailer comparable in weight to yours. It shows the GAWR set at 6750# per axle.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=22027
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote