Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
samahi72

Unbiased opinion needed.

We are looking at a 2003 Keystone Cougar, 28ft. VERY NICE condition, seldom used. I don't know anything about Keystone. Are they well made? I am hoping for honest feedback from those of you who have been there and done that. I am especially concerned about the slide mechanism and the electrical system, any problems there?

Thank you
samahi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
rrohrer

You will find many happy owners on this forum- myself included. No brand is without some issues. campers are problem prone. with a ten yr unit one of the major issues will be how well the rig was maintained. they need frequent caulking and looked over, winterized properly etc. Water is the enemy.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

If It were me, I would be looking at how or if it has been maintained. The more important items are roof and anywhere that could have or is leaking water into the trailer. Being that old check the date of the tires, 5 years old they need replaced no matter what they look like. If they are 10 years old they might not last the trip home. Brakes need adjusted yearly if used and wheel bearings could go bad even if not used for 10 years. Propane tanks might be due for replacement or close. Have someone that really knows RVs to check it out or pay a dealer to check it. If the batteries are over 5 years old they likely need replaced. Run the slide in/out afew times, you will know if it is working correctly. Unless it has had elect. issuses that should not be a problem. List the actual model. Is it a 5th wheel or travel trailer and maybe someone who has that same one will have better advice.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

samahi72

You might be interested in a poll that was taken here on the forum which asked this question...."Keystone; Would you buy from them again?"
You can see the results by going to the Keystone Questions section of the forum and look for the poll thread where the results are posted as well as a number of posts with comments.
In a nutshell, just over 90% of the respondents answered "yes" to this question.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
samahi72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If It were me, I would be looking at how or if it has been maintained. The more important items are roof and anywhere that could have or is leaking water into the trailer. Being that old check the date of the tires, 5 years old they need replaced no matter what they look like. If they are 10 years old they might not last the trip home. Brakes need adjusted yearly if used and wheel bearings could go bad even if not used for 10 years. Propane tanks might be due for replacement or close. Have someone that really knows RVs to check it out or pay a dealer to check it. If the batteries are over 5 years old they likely need replaced. Run the slide in/out afew times, you will know if it is working correctly. Unless it has had elect. issuses that should not be a problem. List the actual model. Is it a 5th wheel or travel trailer and maybe someone who has that same one will have better advice.
I don't have the model number but it is a 28foot fifth wheel. One slide.
samahi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
suza

Other factors to consider: was kept under cover when not in use and in what climate. And, ask if there are there maintenance records.

We have had our Cougar less than 2 months, but are very happy and hear good things about Keystone quality. Big tip: find a good service department.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

HI! As others have given you good advice. and were very truthful. here are some other tips after you confirm everything works and does not leak. Look down the sides. Stand at one end and sight down the side, look for waves. as in the side has been replaced. crawl under the unit look at the frame and the axles look for any signs of damage or deformity. the only thing hard to check are the brakes and bearings ,there you will need to remove the brake drum/hub you can run the vin number through DMV so you don't get any when you go to register it. Hopefully they will have records. just take your time looking it over and if it is too good to be true then it is! good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
therink

Welcome. What is more important than brand on a used trailer is how well it has been maintained. A good eye can see the difference. Look at overall cleanliness, odors, get up on the roof and closely inspect the caulk seams. Get on the ground and look underneath. Open the compartments and look for signs of leaks. If fiberglass exterior, examine all surfaces for irregularities, ripples, bumps, etc.
Look at age of tires (date code is stamped on them). Tires over 3 years old on used unit should be replaced (with no knowledge of how they were used).
Look at lots of units. Your eyes and hearts will bring you back to the right unit.
Are far as brands go, I am on my second Keystone and am happy. I will say that most brands are basically built the same. You can have a lemon matter what brand.
If you decide to buy, do a search on this forum for the term "PDI". You will find a link to a previous delivery inspection form and instructions on how to carefully inspect an rv before you sign the dotted line. The trick is "before" you sign.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Robby9

In the last few years I've owned two Forrest River products and one Keystone. I wouldn't say the Keystone is any better or worse.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote