Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Htfiremedic

Fuzion Onan generator issue

Hey y'all. I am having an issue with my generator. It is a 5500 Onan. I used it to go to Myrtle Beach and on the trip down I had no problems. On the way home, a 4 hour ride, it stopped working after about 3 hours. Now it will run for 5-6 seconds and stop.
Any ideas? The dealer rep said that when service is due, it will shut off. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
tileman

Maybe a dirty fuel filter or low oil.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
IdahoSRT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
Hey y'all. I am having an issue with my generator. It is a 5500 Onan. I used it to go to Myrtle Beach and on the trip down I had no problems. On the way home, a 4 hour ride, it stopped working after about 3 hours. Now it will run for 5-6 seconds and stop.
Any ideas? The dealer rep said that when service is due, it will shut off. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
Do you use the generator while the RV is moving down the road?
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

To state the obvious, have you checked the oil level? There is an automatic low-oil-pressure shut down on them.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
grtoutdoors

I had a very similar issue - mine was bad gas.

There is a quick way to make sure gas is getting to your genset and to clean out any gunk that may be sitting in there. Under the carb, there is a screw that you can loosen ... it will drain the bottom of the bowl and clean out anything that is sitting in the bottom of the carb bowl. (there is a picture in the manual under winterization).

What I did was loose the screw, let what was sitting in there drain out (drain into a white container) - view the contents.

Then use the prime button on the genset ... as you prime more gas will come into your container.

If you have anything wrong with your gas or it's not getting regular gas - you will QUICKLY notice.

C
Old 06-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
CUFFS054

gr,
Good idea. Never thought of that.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
grtoutdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFFS054 View Post
gr,
Good idea. Never thought of that.
Also, I forgot to mention, not sure what control panel you have on your genset, but when your genset shutdowns irregularly it will generally produce an error code (by flashing a certain number of times). It is a two digit code so on either the prime button on your genset panel or in your coach it will flash steady X times, the press the stop botton, then flash steady again for Y times (giving you your actual error code). So your error code with be XY (ie. 36). In the manual, it will tell you what each error code means - although the error codes are not so useful in all instances (see page 23 of owners manual). This might also help you track down exactly what the issue was/is. PS - I have the manual in pdf if you require.

I ended up having to drain my fuel tank which was suprisingly easy, then put in some fresh gas. As soon as I did that and reprimed ... it runs like a charm. Now I always add stabalizer to my gas even if I plan on using it a lot. It just makes sure the gas "stays together".

If you need anything else let me know ... I have become quite knowledgeable - LOL.

C
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Htfiremedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
To state the obvious, have you checked the oil level? There is an automatic low-oil-pressure shut down on them.
Oil level was good!!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Htfiremedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtoutdoors View Post
I had a very similar issue - mine was bad gas.

There is a quick way to make sure gas is getting to your genset and to clean out any gunk that may be sitting in there. Under the carb, there is a screw that you can loosen ... it will drain the bottom of the bowl and clean out anything that is sitting in the bottom of the carb bowl. (there is a picture in the manual under winterization).

What I did was loose the screw, let what was sitting in there drain out (drain into a white container) - view the contents.

Then use the prime button on the genset ... as you prime more gas will come into your container.

If you have anything wrong with your gas or it's not getting regular gas - you will QUICKLY notice.

C
I will try that tomorrow. I sent you a PM about the PDF file!!
Thanks all for the info.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
abneynormal

stabil is worth it

on my 3912 I use stabilizer in the fall. also I mix it by using my filling station. this is a two way fix it mixes the stabilizer and keeps my fuel station pump from giving me problems. i put the nozzle where you fill er up and let it flow for a few minutes. i try to do it a couple of times a year
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Htfiremedic

Alright, I am getting a code 45. I tried a reset and after many failed attempts, it reset to a 23. I tried charging the batteries and checked the oil. I am headed to the house in the AM to try one more time. Then off to CW for warranty work if no luck is had.
The PDF owners manual is a lifesaver!! I want to find a service manual as well. I may be able to gather one up if no one knows where a "free" copy is.
Any ideas???
Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
rnkburg

Mine was because the battery was low. I was told to run a battery charger while running the generator to maintain charge. The generator doesn't put out enough charge to keep electronics going to run generator . My raptor has a seperate battery for the generator and it is not connected to the charging system of the trailer

If you think its a fuel issue spray carb cleaner in the intake and see If it runs on that. If it does and keeps running you have a clogged carb or other fuel issue. Do not use either as it could blow the head. Carb cleaner will run it safely for testing.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
Rabbit Sheriff

I had problem with mine shutting down. Was over heating in hot weather. Opened compartment door and solved. Won't do much good while traveling but just something to look at.
Rabbit Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
KenBob

http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/GMANquickguide.pdf

Here is a diagnosis PDF. There may be a way to do some tests w/o using the special tool. The code 23 may indicate a oil switch problem. The gen runs for a few secs then shuts down. The "brain" does not see oil level/pressure and shuts the engine down. JMHO
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
rnkburg

If you are sure it had oil I believe you can disconnect the switch wire and try it. It will work on some other small engines like that as a test.

If it is the switch then its internal

Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
randy69

I think I tried everything on my 5500 onan . It runs 4 or 5 hours with ac and tv on but when you turn on a light and it doest matter if it's ac or a dc light it shuts the engine down. Things I have tried oil switch, vaccum valve on the governer, solenoid needle valve in the fuel bowl, gas cap vent , leave gen tt door open maybe heat issues. Bad gas. Ok maybe a long shot could it be a bad voltage board ?If it gets hot then gen turns off. By the way when this happens the gen will start until any type of power is applied usually voltage regulator. Microwave clock refridge. If you let it sit for couple of hours were ok for another couple of hours. Mike Thomson rv dealer said they could not make it fail . But it happens everytime we go out.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
chain_dogg

Mine ran for a short while, then shut off, after sitting, run for awhile and shut off again. Weak diaphragm in the fuel pump. I replaced the pump with a after market pump....no more problem. Here is the article below, along with part numbers.

http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2...-pump-problem/
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_dogg View Post
Mine ran for a short while, then shut off, after sitting, run for awhile and shut off again. Weak diaphragm in the fuel pump. I replaced the pump with a after market pump....no more problem. Here is the article below, along with part numbers.

http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2...-pump-problem/
The only thing is if I turn off all breakers it won't shut down.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
howdy
Permanent User Ban

Remember the Onan has its own warranty. You don't have to take it back to an RV dealer. If I have problems with mine it will go straight down to the experts at Cummins West. If I had an option(which you do) I would not take it back to an RV tech to trouble shoot and fix, but to the people that made these and see them all day long. Check your onan owners manual. Isn't it one year free parts and labor and 2nd year free parts, but you pay for labor?
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #20
rnkburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post
Remember the Onan has its own warranty. You don't have to take it back to an RV dealer. If I have problems with mine it will go straight down to the experts at Cummins West. If I had an option(which you do) I would not take it back to an RV tech to trouble shoot and fix, but to the people that made these and see them all day long. Check your onan owners manual. Isn't it one year free parts and labor and 2nd year free parts, but you pay for labor?
Yep, bypass the dealer at this point and go straight to Cummins. Most of the time the rv dealers take it to them anyway.