Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
x96mnn

Place to post your dumping stories

With a recent post on a dumping horror story I was thinking most of us may have one or two up our sleeves and more hair on our chest then maybe we should. Thought a thread to exchange some of our mishaps or items witnessed would be fun.

I will kick things off with a story that I unfortunately was part of but not the primary idiot in it all. Honestly it was too much for one person it took two idiots to pull it off lol.

Friend of mine bought a camper, 16ft clipper so his small family could get out an enjoy camping, see if they liked it before jumping in big. On his outing without using a three way hook up and needing to use a dumping station the following went down.

We pull up to the dump station and his camper is low, the dump station was also being used as a extra site so they had this T on it that stood up about a foot for another camper to hook to. I have my plastic gloves on and offer him a pair to which he calls me a Nancy and laughs and does not accept. He hooks up and pulls the black tank as I told him always dump the black first. He has me holding the cap going into the the tank and out it comes, but stops. His out is a full half foot lower then the in and it does not flow from low to high that well. So he starts to lift the stinky slinky, (you know those flimsy blue plastic wrap ones they give away), up and down to drain it, he is about 5 lifts in and I hear it. Huge gushing sound and I look over the stinky slinky came apart at the connector. By the time I turn I see him grabbing the end of it trying to force it back on and its spraying all over him...in his face down his front and I am yelling shut the valve, shut the valve and run over and shut the valve which there are two messes left to deal with, him and the ground and I take to the laughing.

So he is gagging, stinky, embarrassed as people walk by, I am killing myself and he looks down and points out a log and calmly states, "that was my wife". At this point I am laughing/gagging that hard I would be on the ground rolling if it was not full of you know what, he connects the hose back up and pulls it again, its not in the dump station and starts pouring out again...at this point he is ready to leave and I can't stop laughing. Not to mention to finish the job he still has to do this up down motion standing in the middle of this sewage mess to drain all his tanks which is about 15 minutes.

Needless to say one of the full timers there loans us a shovel and we take up about two inches of the are that got dumped on, bag it and get a garbage bag. We then go and get new gravel and fill in the hole we made. We reported it to the owner who comes over and is laughing, said it looked better then when we got there. No harm done other then he now has a beard he needs to shave every day! We still laugh to this day a this story and has become a highlight around the camp fire. Lessons learned as well we now have Rhino Flex sewer hoses!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
CUFFS054

Being less than a wiz at plumbing I should have known better but no guts no glory. Decided to hook the galley tank into the hard sewer line that dumps the black and grey tanks.
Designed this ell using left over pipe and then hooked the blue hose to the rubber reducer to make it fit. Success... was fleeting. I noticed that the new ell was several inches higher than the tank drain. Decided I had done enough for one day. Three days latter the galley tank is full.
Just like a flash (or it may have been a mini-stroke) I started to raise the blue slinky as close to tank as possible and "help" it drain into sewer line.
It was then it became clear that the other end of the slinky should have been clamped to the reducer.
Lesson learned: NEVER lay on your back near a tank drain
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
crash

HOLY MOLY
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

HOLY POOP TSUNAMI BATMAN
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
3P'sInACougar

Well I have one gentlemen. Seen this happen on 2 different camp outings. Another camper was breaking camp having his morning coffee an once he drained the stinky slinking he then unhooked his white water hose an puts it inside the sewer hose to wash it out. They both put it down inside about 2-3 ft inside the sewer hose. This did not make me feel good. They then wrapped up there hosed an left. Boy I don't think I want to drink there coffee. Just fun sometimes to sit back an watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Springer

Dn't dump where you eat

I guess it was our second or third year of camping. The DW wanted to get more familiar with the "outside" duties. I said"great". Hook up the electric, water, and sewer. I was messing with the awning. When she went to hook up the stinky slinky there was a little surprise awaiting. Apparently the gate valve wasn't fully closed after the last dumoing. When she removed the cap out came about a quart of...well, it wasn't Ben and Jerry's..Pretty stinky stuff. Wouldn't have been so bad but these sites are pretty close to each other and a family of five had just sat down for a scrumtous dinner.

I think we killed the ambience.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
HOLY POOP TSUNAMI BATMAN
Barney,

Maybe you just "coined" a new word.... POONAMIE

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
therink

Wow, quite the response on this post already. I don't have any juicy stories, but can't resist to subscribe to this one. This ought to be good ; )

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Pawpod

Personally after seeing RV the movie before our first trip with a trailer with a black tank I went out and upgraded our hoses to a rhino flex with all the extras like the end that elbows into the dump site opening, and clear elbow at the trailer. No brown geysers, poosnamies or anything simular for us ( knock on wood)
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
CUFFS054

Ha, poonamie! Love it!
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
wbatto

Gusher

We just bought a new 381 fuzion this spring. The dealer and keystone said it had one gray tank, while washing it I discover it has two gray water handles. So to figure out which handle is for what tank on the read-out I pull 1 handle at a time and run water to see where it goes. I figure it out and stop water flow but forget to close dump valve for number 2 gray tank ( which is thank you lord the shower and sink). I place the cap on the line and we go on a test run for 4 days. We are leaving the camp ground and I stop at the dump station all my tanks are full and two trucks are behind me. I get the slinky out and remove the cap and 41 gallons of gray water hits me in my belly and completely soaks my lower half. The guys behind are about to fall out of their trucks laughing. My wife gets out and said what busted. My pride was a little busted that day but I always double check to make sure the valves are closed now.
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

I have had owned RVs for about 25 years and helped with my Dads as a kid. Never dump issuse until this year. About the 3 trip with current trailer I go to connect the slinky and out comes galley tank water, all of it. I forgot to close the valve at last dump. I found out I could not connect it with the water flushing out, I held the hose below it and got most. Next trip last week. I go to connect and black tank is dummping, At least the valve is right there, it was open just a small amount and I closed it with afew gallons on the ground that I had to clean up. Always wear gloves and have some towels etc. ready outside to clean up with. Now the progam is push on each valve before undoing the cap. I am begining to think hanging around dump sites could provide afew laughs, like parking near a boat ramp at opening fishing season.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
rode2nowhere

there is a lot of potential in the dumping area
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Linwoodrver

Luckily I haven't had a poonami, however, this may help some of you. I have a 2012 Cougar31sqb. It has the black tank flush and my first time camping this year I connected the hose and started the flushing ( after black and grey tanks had already been drained). Next thing you know, there is water draining out from under my bathroom door and quickly thereafter, my main door!! The atmospheric/check valve is malfunctioning and water just pours out of it as fast as it comes in. There are other posts on this problem, just search black water check valve.
Linwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:46 AM   #15
x96mnn

Any more poonami stories to share?
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
Hercules1978

I have a minor entry.
2 years ago with my first rv with tanks, I dumped successfully with no mishaps/spills. As I was rinsing out the hoses before storage, I didn't have enough hands to hold the non-potable water hose, slinky, and operate the valve. The NP house shot out of my hand and spayed me head to toe AND the guy dumping at the other drain.
Thankfully he laughed it off and we went on our ways a little soggy.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
sherri330

Place to post your dumping stories

Well, we'd been new tt owners for about a year when IT happened. We thought we had gotten pretty good at everything. Even to the point where we felt comfortable giving other newbies advice. Just goes to show that we are always learning something new. For instance...ALWAYS check to see if your tank valve is closed before taking the drain cap off! We spent 4 days at a beautiful state park in VA. My father and his wife joined us with their tt. When it was time to leave, we were both at the dump station at the same time. They were on the other side and I was chatting with my dad as I assumed my DH was getting the hose set up. All of the sudden I heard a gush. When I looked, my DH was standing there in shock saying "why is the valve open?" Knowing that it was not a good time to yell, I calmly reached for the hose and said, "I don't know dear but why don't you reach down there and close it." I had to repeat it twice before he snapped out of it and closed the valve. All the way home, he kept saying that he didn't understand why the valve was open. I have yet to state the obvious to him. He IS the only one that messes with the sewage. We now have a laminated check list that includes checking that the valve is closed before removing the drain cap.
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
crash

2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #19
BOWWOW

Poo Poo

A couple of years back a friend of mine had a similar dumplication that left dumplings all over him and the ground. I was not quite to the dump when it happened but I did see that aftermath.
Now his grandchildren who were with him call him Poo Poo rather than Paw Paw as they previously did.I don't know what is with him but it has happened a few times.He pulls double trailers we call it the Poo Poo train.
Once he he was trying to drain the grey in the woods and pulled the wrong valve somehow and now we refer to his camping spots as Poo Poo bayou.
The valves are now clearly painted black or grey.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #20
TDF5G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwoodrver View Post
Luckily I haven't had a poonami, however, this may help some of you. I have a 2012 Cougar31sqb. It has the black tank flush and my first time camping this year I connected the hose and started the flushing ( after black and grey tanks had already been drained). Next thing you know, there is water draining out from under my bathroom door and quickly thereafter, my main door!! The atmospheric/check valve is malfunctioning and water just pours out of it as fast as it comes in. There are other posts on this problem, just search black water check valve.
Been there done that. I found out about that vacuum breaker valve the hard way!