Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
davidjsimons

Circus side show

As I am sitting at my campsite today, a truck pulling a fifth wheel camper proceeds to pull into the site across from me. I've never witnessed such a goat screw in all of my life. They pulled in and out almost a half a dozen times before finally stopping but not without scaring me half to death. As I watch from a safe distance, I saw the woman bend over to pick something up. The problem was that it was between the truck and the trailer. She stepped between the two and the driver never saw her, the other folks with them yelled and he stopped. The entire ordeal was exhausting just to watch. In the meantime, since getting set up, the guy has been in and out with the truck every ten minutes. They are a one family traffic jam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
f6bits

I see you posted from an iPad. You didn't get a video of the ordeal?

I witnessed a similar escapade with a new-to-them Super Duty and toy hauler in a tight spot next to me, minus the near-carnage. Some campsites just aren't a natural fit for a long combo.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
labs4life

I guess it takes all kinds. Have fun camping!!

It is sometimes funny to watch the ordeals people get into that have no idea about pulling a trailer.
We rode through the campground his morning and there is one sharp curve going to a group of sites. I thought it would be tight for me to clear that tree, I looked up and the tree looked like a log skitter had scared about 12' high!!!!! That would ruin a trip!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
iamrwnut

At 54' long, I have to look over campsites to ensure I can get in. I have had some hair raisingly close calls backing in to tight spaces.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
davidjsimons

This whole episode was anything but fun to watch. I was in no danger whatsoever, but I was nervous until they finally got everything set up. There was the serious potential for somebody to not go home before this was over.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrwnut View Post
At 54' long, I have to look over campsites to ensure I can get in. I have had some hair raisingly close calls backing in to tight spaces.
The site was a straight, pull through site.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
iamrwnut

Glad to hear no one got hurt. Lol on the pull through. Hmmm

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

While these "circus side shows" may provide entertainment and laughs for some, you have to feel for the poor guy and his family who are trying to get their rig parked and be as inconspicuous as possible.

Many of us, including me, have at one time or another found ourselves having a dickens of time getting our RV's backed into a spot. The last thing I would want is for people to start gathering, plunking down their lawn chairs and video taping my ordeal on their smart phones. As we know, sometimes the harder we try, the worse it becomes and all I need is for some bonehead to put my side show on YouTube for the whole world to see.

I am wondering if anyone, seeing how much agony this person must have been going through, offered to help or did everyone just stand around, watch and do nothing? For some, even a pull-through presents a real challenge.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
davidjsimons

Festus,
Everybody there knew everything. There was no helping that bunch. I would have been more than glad to have given some assistance. Some people, you just can't help.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
f6bits

Festus does bring up a good point. For the event I witnessed, I did offer some tips and it eventually worked, but it was not a good site for their rig.

As David said, some people think they know everything, and I find it difficult to politely offer help to a bunch of know-it-alls. Then again, it's not like they need one more know-it-all trying to help. So just sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

And a half-a-dozen attempts? I think we've all done that. But with patience, it can usually be done safely with good results.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
davidjsimons

Well, I'm happy to report that they are settled in and enjoying a game of corn hole.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of years ago, we went to NC to visit our son. On the way back, we stopped in WV for the night. Great municipal campground, on a hill with about 20 sites. They were somewhat tight, but easy to get into, no trees, no tables, and the clerk was assigning every third site so people had an empty site on each side. We had met a couple of Airstreamers around our age at a truck stop, chatted briefly and they were going to that campground also. We dallied for a while at some tourist attractions along the way and didn't get to the CG until about 6PM (dark about 10 so no rush). The Airstreamers were already there, we were assigned a site across from them and parked with no problem. I walked over to say hello and we were chatting when an elderly couple (remember we were all in our mid 60's) came in with a 22' Summerall travel trailer and a Chevy 1500 short bed supercab. That poor man tried a number of times to get the back of the trailer to turn into the site driveway. He just couldn't do it. The three of us walked over to ask if he needed any help. He said he'd never towed before, they just bought the RV and stopped at WalMart to get something to cook, but didn't have any pans or dishes so they just bought plastic utinsels and TV dinners. We offered to help him back in, he asked if anyone would just please park it for him. I jumped in and put it in the site, asked how far back he wanted to go, he said it was fine. I got out and asked if he needed any help stting up. He didn't know how to operate the jacks, or the tongue mechanism. We got him set up, but not before having to back up further. He only had 25' of water hose and needed about 35'. So, pulled up the jacks, moved him further back, and reset the RV. We asked him if he wanted to unhitch, his reply was, "HEAVENS NO!!!" he honestly didn't know how to rehitch in the morning.

Now, I wonder why anyone would try to tow like that, and even more, I wonder why any dealer would send someone out on the roads with that limited knowledge of how their RV works. I sometimes wonder if that elderly couple ever made it home, They pulled out as we were breaking down camp, the Airstreamers waved goodbye to them and commented to me that they were going to sit it out for a couple of hours before they left to give that poor couple a good headstart.

So, along with the "know it alls" there are some honest "first timers" who do need the help, encouragement and even a little teaching. It's rewarding to help someone when they honestly appreciate your assistance, it's much different than trying to help a "know it all"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
davidjsimons

John,
Trust me, these were not first timers. I believe the man driving the truck would have been much better off if he had no help at all. There were too many cooks working on that pot of stew. He was driving a 3500 with not for hire decals on the cab. When I park and set up, that's the way that I prefer it, no help. I get out of the truck, take a good look around and up, then figure out where I need to be for my hook ups and distance from the pedestal for my slide to operate. The driver was no rookie, the crew on the other hand left a lot to be desired. He knew very well how to chock his unit, level it and operate the stabilizers. They just came out of the truck like a pit crew but none of them were on the same sheet of music. As I said, I would have been more than happy to help him. When I was racing, I used to park some of the other teams trucks on a routine basis, the driver did not need any more help, he already had too much.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
tileman

LOl back in march we went to the daytona supercross.
My daughter was racing we had a spot by the nascar garages.

When we pulled in a guy on a golf cart takes you to your spot
he shows me my spot to back into. Well after like 3 times trying to back into the spot I have a guy come over to help me and that's fine with me. Then I look out my window and have 3 more to help out So as I look into my rear view mirrors all I see is 4 guys all pointing in diff ways

Well long story short I got backed in by the help of a older truck driver that came over and walked beside my drivers door as I backed in and all the other guys were pointing to go diff ways LOL

But in the end my daughter got 8 place that night.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

David, I see your point. I think I'd stay on "my side of the road" too LOL

Tileman, Sometimes too much help is more than anyone can afford LOL Congratulations to your daughter

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Javi

Six tries, heck I wouldn't get excited about six tries to park a 5'er I've done that with just my pickup before.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
Bob Landry

I spent a lot of time with my first trailer in a large parking lot practicing backing it into spaces between the painted lines. But in fairness, I've towed trailers off and on most of my adult life. I took my Outback to a custom hitch shop to have some welding done on my rear bumper and the guy stood and watched in amazement while I backed a 35' trailer into a service bay with 6" on each side. Like the old duck says, there's no substitute for time on the pond.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
Dhuhn

Backing a trailer is hard for someone who has never back one before, it just takes practice, the more you do it the better you will get at it.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Knucklehead

backing a 5er

with my dw help we backed up our old 26" TT and full size bronco TV any where we wanted it with problems Now we have a 350 dualy and a 30" 5er for 7years now and can not get our signals straight any advice to make this easier would be helpful as i am sure that i have enterained many other ampers while we parked our 5er thanks for info
1999 F350 7.3 MTans DRW 4Door 4X4 4:10 gears
2013 Raptor 297 SE
2005 Sprinter 276FWRLS
1990 Jayco 26 Special
1985 Jayco 1008 SG Popup
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Ken / Claudia

Last summer as we pulled into a national forest camp ground a older couple was moving a truck with travel trailer pointed towards us going agianst the one way. Not knowing if they where coming or going I stopped, could not back up with camper and boat behind me. They were yelling at each other. She was behind the trailer, he could not see or hear her. I got out to help and just started walking towards them and he backed the trailer into a tree. It caused a big hole in trailer left corner area near the roof. He pulled foreword, stopped on the side of the roadway and yelled at me that it was my fault, why did I have to be in a big hurry. I suppose some would have been in a fist fight. I did not say a word to him and drove around him to my site. They took off wrong way, fast out of camp ground. I do not know if anyone could have helped them. Trailer looked like nearly new, truck was older.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote