Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
GaryWT

I get excited but not stressed. If you do things right then all will be good. Towing is an enjoyable park of my weekend. I like everyone looking at the rig as we travel. Enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
joeyb

trip freak outs

My husband takes the cake on this. He prepares for everything. usually starting a month to 6 weeks prior to going. he watches the weather daily. checks and rechecks things I didn't even know we had. A few times he even goes through canceling and remaking reservations. but I have to say all that checking and we never had anything go wrong. If he didn't double check and prepare for the worse we would probably be stranded somewhere. Our trips are always fun (after the first night of worry). the kids and dog can't be prepared for as easy as the camper- they will always surprise you with something, thats where walmart fits in. From a wifes view, stress and double check , but don't stress out the rest of the family so they can be the calmness in the trip. enjoy.
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
Family_5ers

I always get pretty worked up before a trip. There is just so much to think about. On our last 5er we had two tire blow outs in one summr (it was older)...now with the new one (only our second trip) I ask DH repeatedy if he's checked tires. I also worry about the weather and forgetting stuff. I've compiled a pretty good check list over the past few years. Now we're camping with an infant again so the list has grown exponentially. I also pride myself on our "glamping" style so I stress a little about finding the most exciting new recipes...no hot dogs and burgers here. My friends look forward to what I'll come up with next. Pressures on.
Super excited about hooking up and hauling out tomorrow to start our season. Yogi Bear Jellystone, here we come!
Current 5er: 2013 Laredo 335TG
Past 5er: 2001 Innsbruk 27FRKD

Family_5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
JeffS

I can relate to 2 of your concerns, tires and back in sites. Last summer before a 4,000 mile retirement trip I solved the tire issue with the purchase of a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that monitors all 4 5th wheel tires and the 2 rear truck tires. I would be willing to bet that relief about tires will take a lot of pressure off and possibly lessen other concerns. As to backing into a site I have finally learned that the best thing after the 20 attempts it takes to get the D@#n thing backed in just right is a cold Micro Brew.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
azlee56

A quick question that might deter this subject (which I am being good and not wanting to do).

I have a 7.3 250, how come put the monitors on the back tires instead of the front (thinking of a blow out). I was trying to figure out what was best.

Answer me in a PM if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
I can relate to 2 of your concerns, tires and back in sites. Last summer before a 4,000 mile retirement trip I solved the tire issue with the purchase of a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that monitors all 4 5th wheel tires and the 2 rear truck tires. I would be willing to bet that relief about tires will take a lot of pressure off and possibly lessen other concerns. As to backing into a site I have finally learned that the best thing after the 20 attempts it takes to get the D@#n thing backed in just right is a cold Micro Brew.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
SAABDOCTOR

HI david I all way get a case of the what ifs. it is normal! Part of me says ok I have done the preflight everything is checked i have AAA and insureance. Now go and have some fun after about a hour on the road I am calm and start enjoying myself. I have one advantage I am a pilot and my biggest fear was that when i got to my destination the gear would not extend (never happened go figure) but i would swet till I had 3 green lights. So I figure the gear on my camper is down and welded so I am safe. The other thing I say to myself is "If any thing bad happens the insurance company owns it" as long as you and the family are safe. the other good news is if you are that worried. you most likely have taken car of everything and are as safe as you can be. now after you get there take some meds they come in a cold 12oz can and enjoy.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #27
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
You know the reason you do this right? You are being protective of your family....plain and simple. I just purchased the tire monitor system, so I can breathe easier and at least have a warning if something goes on with the tires. I, as the woman of the two, try to solve everything before it happens. Because of this I have road service for all vehicles and RVs and have things along because I want them there. lol The BF is cautious as well, but he doesn't "what if" as much as I do.

My suggestion to you is do your best with the safety areas, make sure you know that you have done the maintenance, the caution of not over loading, and the tire checking. Take a deep breath and know that it is out of your hands and when something does happen then you can have a smile on your face because you will be able to tell about it on here and help someone else! Just look up for trees, listen to the wife when she says stop and let them go pee on your journey. All will be good, just know you are a good dad/husband for worrying about them. Now have a beer.
Wow, thank you! I never thought of it that way. I always just thought it was just me being crazy. But you are absolutely correct. That actually makes me feel better about me obsessing about being safe and making sure everything is perfect for my family. Thank you.

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
davidcyndi

Thanks everyone for your kind and thought out replies. I do appreciate them and have taken little bits from every post and going to try to incorporate it into my thought process of camping. I need to make it fun but at the same time safe. If something happens it happens, as long as we are safe that is all that matters. Thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
azlee56

Your welcome. You'll end up having fun after you make sure things are secure each day. This is the essense of a man, as taught for generations, protect and take care of the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcyndi View Post
Wow, thank you! I never thought of it that way. I always just thought it was just me being crazy. But you are absolutely correct. That actually makes me feel better about me obsessing about being safe and making sure everything is perfect for my family. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #30
Jim W

My DW does but I don't. I like to pull the 5er and to me it is just a change of pace for me. I have always enjoyed mechanical things and this is something to do and to get out of the house and enjoy the countryside with the different views.
We have check list which I follow and I know my limitations as to what I can do and can’t do. Everything is mechanical sound and has been service at the proper time interval. Although items will fail due to material meeting its life targets or not I cannot do anything about that; so I do not worry about what I cannot change. My wife does stress out about pulling the 5er and its size with the traffic when on the interstates going through cities like Chicago IL.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #31
schwalbach

I too fit in with the stressed, I spent many years working as a service manager in a truck facility and know how the unexpected can happen. My biggest fear is tires, followed by mechanical breakdown. I have seen new and old units breakdown and it is usually something weird. My wife has no worries because she knows how obsessed I am with the vehicles.

I have gone so far as to measure tire temps on a hot day with an infrared gun. From years of running low boy trailers, I have learned that stopping at least once per hour of travel, even if just to pull over and do a slow walk around, allows tires to cool enough to get you another hour if they are running hot. Can't explain it but it works, seems like that short break gives it enough to cool down, push it to 1.5 hours and would have an issue. So I do the same with the 5th wheel. Have not had any issue since I follow that policy. Also pressure is critical, if you are not checking pressure every time before you go then you are asking for trouble. tires leak off over time and may seem fine visually but be 20 lbs low!

As for mechanical aspects, try to keep unit maintained, don't ignore the small stuff, if you ignore the small stuff it blooms into large stuff!

And last but not least remember that no matter how much you prepare there is a famous quote that covers it all:

"Sh.. happens"

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #32
rode2nowhere

With reading a lot about towmax tires which is what I have my biggest fear is blow outs
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
CincyGus

David,

I read your post and before I even scrolled to the first reply, I looked at the model years of your camper and truck, both being fairly new and thought "I bet this guy is new to RVing."

Part of the stressing is just that, your getting used to everything, your not sure if everything is going to go alright and your worried what if it doesn't.

I am blessed as the other side of the coin. Because of my profession, one that requires changing plans, adapting on the fly, fast pasted, time critical implementation of decisions, I'm used to being adaptable and no surprise is too big to overcome. My wife gets mad at me because I NEVER WORRY and she frankly is like you. Stressed out, worried about what if, etc.

He are my suggestions:

1) Do all you can to get familar with your RV so you know how it works. Read your manuals. ALL of them, even the appliance manuals. Read as much of the repair sections on RV forums as you can. RV.Net along with this forum have a ton of info from people that had a problem and got solutions and advise to fix them. There is comfort in knowledge and familiarity. You know it's only scary the first time you do something new ;-) Use that to your advantage.

2) Slow the pace. I used to be one of those guys that had every roadtrip mapped out in google maps with an eta and worked to maintain the schedule. Then I realized stressing about running behind on a planned time of arrival to go have fun was putting a damper on my fun. I now take the watch off when we get in the car and set the alarm for the day we are leaving as a last defiant act, just before we leave the driveway. It's kind of turned into a family joke that we are not living on anybodies time except our own when we pack up to go have fun as a family. We get up when we want, decide what we are doing that day and thengo do it when we want to. Yes, there are occassions when we have to set the watch to make a planned event like a fishing charter trip or such, but we limit it to those situations where we have an assigned time or appointment. We all come back from our trips MUCH more relaxed using this method.

3) Do the work in advance. Do as much as you can to keep your RV and Tow Vehicle ready to go all the time. Change the oil reguarly for your TV. Check your tire pressures every week or so and while doing it, inspect your tires for wear, blisters, bulges, cuts or other issues. Knowing they are in good shape will help you feel confident everything will be ok. Use an air copressor to spray out the frig vent and check for loose wires. Check your battery water levels monthly. Wash and wax your RV reguarly and you will notice anything that needs attention before it becomes a problem. Doing all these things and the normal maint. on your RV and TV will make you SURE before you even buckle up, your in good shape.

Good luck in changing your ways and finding that "peaceful, easy feeling" as the old Eagles song goes. Many of your worries will disappear as you gain more experience and the unknown wears off on the whole RVing experience. The rest is a matter of knowing you've done everything in your control already to make your trips a great and safe time for your family!

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #34
MarkS

Well said CincyGus

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #35
davidcyndi

Ok guys and gals, last week we took a trip down to the coast and I used all the info you guys gave to me. We had the best trip yet!!! I wasn't freaked out and my wife even said "wow you are having a great time".. she knows I stress so she said it was nice for her to not see me all out of sorts. So thanks again fellow campers.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #36
azlee56

GREAT!!! I am glad you got to enjoy the family and the scenery and know in the back of your mind that all was taken care of to the best of your ability.

Now for the important question............did you take pictures to share with us?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #37
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
GREAT!!! I am glad you got to enjoy the family and the scenery and know in the back of your mind that all was taken care of to the best of your ability.

Now for the important question............did you take pictures to share with us?
Thanks.
Sure I did!!!

First we took a short trip to Sargent Texas. Its a small fishing community on the coast. There is a great rv park their called Sargent Shores Rv Park. www.sargentshoresrv.com Its a great place with very big flat pads, full hookups for 30$ a nite. Had a great 4 day visit with them. Highly recommend. Now on to the pics.

My wife and kids in the gulf

Dinner one night. Krogers only had bone in ribeye. The tinfoil is ears of corn de-husked with 3 slices of butter and some Tony chachere.

Here is a jelly fish washed up on shore. Think its a man-o-war.

This is a view from the beach looking at the sunset.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #38
davidcyndi

This is site 16 where we stayed. To show how big the pad is our TT is 36 feet and then the f250 and there was still pad 5 feet past the end of the f250. Huge wide pads. And again full hook ups

From our pad looking at the sunset.

Sunset again

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
rode2nowhere

wish I was there.....
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
azlee56

ewww, all I could think of when I saw the jelly fish was never would I go walking bare foot. Those sunsets are awesome.