Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Randy_K

Question First weigh in !

We got the first Camping trip in with the new rig this past week. On the way home we passed a weigh scale and thought we would check out the weights. The trailer was to have been set up by the dealer. When they set it up i had two 325 lb motorcycles in the bed of my truck. For this trip and weigh in i had left the bikes at home. I would have thought the rear axle would have been real light. I did notice the rear of the truck felt like it was floating a bit.

Can someone tell me what these numbers should be ? what % should be on each axle ? I was surprised that the TT loaded was 4,600 lbs which is the advertised dry weight.

2010 Ford F150 4X4 screw with 6.5 box. Air Bags and 10 ply tires & 2013 Passport Elite 23RB

Thanks , Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
labs4life

You would also need to weigh the truck empty at the same time to get tongue weight. Your trailer axle weight is not taking into account the tongue weight of the trailer. That weight is now mixed in with the axle weights of the truck.

I hope this is not confusing you, it is straight in my head....
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
You would also need to weigh the truck empty at the same time to get tongue weight. Your trailer axle weight is not taking into account the tongue weight of the trailer. That weight is now mixed in with the axle weights of the truck.

I hope this is not confusing you, it is straight in my head....
So there is no way to know if i should change anything ? I guess i will take the bikes on my next trip and see how it feels. Perhaps the extra 700 pounds will make it feel better.

I have been following a lot of the "can i tow this " threads. My trailer is about half of the tow rating of my truck so i think i should be fine there.

Randy

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
GaryWT

With the bikes and the trailer I would be interested in the payload.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
So there is no way to know if i should change anything ? I guess i will take the bikes on my next trip and see how it feels. Perhaps the extra 700 pounds will make it feel better.

I have been following a lot of the "can i tow this " threads. My trailer is about half of the tow rating of my truck so i think i should be fine there.

Randy
Unfortunately no. You will have to weigh combined unit and truck solo. If you take the bikes, leave them in the truck for that weight. The difference between truck and trailer and truck only will give you total trailer weight. If you take coupled truck axle weights minus truck only weight, that will give you trailer tongue weight.

Sounds like you are relatively certain about the bikes weight, so you subtract that and get empty truck curb weight. Remember how much fuel in the truck will play a part, ie. full vs bone dry.

Hope this answered your question a bit better.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Randy_K

For this past weight the truck just had $140.00 worth of gas in it plus the DW and myself.

Sorry for not being more clear. Should the two axles on the truck have the same weight on them or should one get a percentage more then the other ?

I was thinking of trying to change the distribution bars myself but was wondering what my goal should be.

Thanks

Randy

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
labs4life

You will get more results after next weight. The trick is to keep the front axle close to the same so you still have good steering effect.
I am probably not the best to get real specific, but there threads already out there with a wealth of specifics if you search a bit. I will look now and give you some guidance. (Hopefully)
Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
labs4life

If you search "axle weights" there are at least 3-4 threads that will give you a lot of reading material. Also conveyed more eloquently than I could. Hope this gets your questions answered. Come back with more if you have them after you weigh again!!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
B&T

Quote:
I was thinking of trying to change the distribution bars myself but was wondering what my goal should be.
Simple but effective:

With both Trailer and TV loaded for camping;
On level ground, trailer unhooked, measure and record the distance from the bottom edge of both front fender wells at your TV front Axel. Hook up the trailer and adjust your WDH bars to return your front fender TV measurements to at or near the unloaded measurements.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm thinking a reweigh isn't really needed. Here's why:

The OP states he weighed his truck/RV combo "WITHOUT" the bikes in the bed and the rear axle weight was 3880. The maximum rating on the F150 rear axles is normally 3860, and the increased payload axle is rated at 4150. So to tow the rig he weighed with the bikes in the bed (added 700 lbs) he is going to be about 900 lbs over his rear axle rating. So, reweighing, adjusting the bars, etc, is only going to be an exercise in weight shifting. I don't believe he is going to be able to shift 900 lbs off the rear axle and still maintain 10-15% tongue weight.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote