Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
DennisT

Anyone run Schwab Gladiator TT tires? Quality?

I want to replace my 5 YO Carlyle tires on our Keystone Sprindale 266 bumper tow TT. It came with ST205x75-15R. I will NOT buy Carlyle. Was thinking Maxxis 8008's, but hard to find here in rural America. Local Les Schwab store sells Dynatrail's, but they are the same load range C I have now. I want a stronger tire.

So they recommended their Gladiator tire in the same size, but 8-ply. I looked at one; husky tire, beefier road shoulder. VERY different tread design. Chinese made, which is too bad, but the Maxxis is Asian too, just different country. Good looking; reminds me of a light truck design.

Price quoted: $106.88/tire.

Anyone know anything about the Gladiator tire?
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Regarding the availability of Maxxis ....have you checked with Discount Tire? If you're not in a rush to get them, I'm sure that they can be found at one of their stores in WA and will ship them to an outlet near you or they might be ordered online.

I was told the same thing but one of Discount Tire's retail outlet did some searching and found 4 of the 8008's in Marysville, WA where I purchased them for our Cougar.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
DennisT

tire

Yes, I've considered shipping in Maxxis tires. It's still on the table.

What intrigued me was the heft and rugged look of the Gladiator, having never seen one before. Totally different tread pattern. A lot of rain grooves. And I have heard the farm folks around here use a lot of their slightly heavier trailer tires with good luck.

Maxxis lists, as I remember, an 8 ply, LRD, version of the same size I have, ST205x75x15. So I was looking hard at that because I would really like moving up strength/capacity a bit. I'd like to run 15% or more reserve while keeping my TT as light as possible, (6,400# factory dry wt.) Not sure if both versions of the Maxxis are equally available. Some places, Discount Tire Direct I think was one, does not tell you which you're getting.....LR C or D.

The Gladiator was also an 8 ply.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Agent 405

I just replaced my Carlisle tires with 6 Gladiator 235/85/R16s. The Carlisles were only 4 years old but badly dry rotted. I had noticed some small cracks in the side wall this spring. I went for a 30 mile trip and the cracks had grown to 1 to 2 inches. The tread was at 8/32" but I didn't feel safe due to the dry rotting sidewalls. The Gladiators are 14 ply and look like comerical trailer tires. I have just over 1000 miles on them and so far they seem fine. Only time will tell if these will dry rot like the Carlisles did.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Bob Landry

I'm going through the same thing. After a lot of reading and hand wringing, I decided on Maxxis. I really wanted LT tires, but my rims are 6" and 15" LT tires for those rims are scarce. Maxxis had one but it called for a 6 1/2" rim and Discount Tire didn't want to mount them on my 6" wheels, liability reasons I suppose, so I went with these. These are 10 ply tires so the load rating went up to 2,830 as opposed to the 2,540 on my China bombs. It's the only ST tire that's not made in China so I'll give them a shot.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
saltytuna1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
I want to replace my 5 YO Carlyle tires on our Keystone Sprindale 266 bumper tow TT. It came with ST205x75-15R. I will NOT buy Carlyle. Was thinking Maxxis 8008's, but hard to find here in rural America. Local Les Schwab store sells Dynatrail's, but they are the same load range C I have now. I want a stronger tire.

So they recommended their Gladiator tire in the same size, but 8-ply. I looked at one; husky tire, beefier road shoulder. VERY different tread design. Chinese made, which is too bad, but the Maxxis is Asian too, just different country. Good looking; reminds me of a light truck design.

See my post titled Towmax blowout. I'd never heard of Gladiators but in my size tire your limited to a very few choices. So far happy with the Gladiators.

Steve
saltytuna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post

If you have 6" - 7" rims this tire may work for you.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....13674x012-tire

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote