Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
jencox5508

Illinois Campgrounds

Looking for recommendations for campgrounds in Illinois. Our kids are 8 and 11 so activities or a place with things to do would be great!!

Jennifer
jencox5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
JeffS

Jennifer,
We have never camped in Illinois but my daughter and her family (kids are about the same age as yours), who live in the Chicago area, really like Starved Rock State Park.
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...rk.htm#Camping
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
DJ85

My advised is to go to either Reserve america or the Federal parks web site and do a search on parks in Illinois. We are from southern Ill and do alot of camping at Rend Lake mostly go to the state site, but it also has federal ran sites the north and south Sandusky are very nice. Been to Eldon state park by carlyle lake. All sites are adult and kid friendly with plenty of site seeing and have plenty to do for the kids. Hope this helps you

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
KanTC

We're New Mexico transplants, originally from So IL... Rend Lake is where we typically stay when visiting
family. North & South Sandusky both have nice sites, and Wayne Fitzgerrell is the State Park on the lake.
http://www.rendlake.com

If you prefer RV Parks w/ full hook-up's try Whittington Woods... we've stayed here twice. Owners
are RV'ers who live onsite, nice folks, very clean park with a playground & pool.
http://www.whittingtonwoodscampground.com

Hope this helps.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
FlyingBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
Jennifer,
We have never camped in Illinois but my daughter and her family (kids are about the same age as yours), who live in the Chicago area, really like Starved Rock State Park.
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...rk.htm#Camping
We're headed to Starved Rock in a few weeks! I haven't been there since I was a kid. We're not staying at the State Park though - we'll be staying at the KOA down the road a bit. (LaSalle/Peru)
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
oldfamer

Rend lake has some nice campgrounds. Two of my favorite are Coles Creek and Dam West on Carlyle Lake. Both are federal parks and are nice campgrounds. Eldon Hazlet is not as nice as the federal parks and they charge more per night.
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencox5508 View Post
Looking for recommendations for campgrounds in Illinois. Our kids are 8 and 11 so activities or a place with things to do would be great!!

Jennifer
Jennifer, I would check out RV Park reviews .com This is an excellent site for camp ground reviews I use this all the time. As you can see I am from IL and I have stayed at The KOA in laSalle/Peru I would rate this a 7 out of 10.
Jim W
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote