Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
gearhead

Hmmmm..I've only used the black tank flusher once. I didn't use a different hose! The tank was empty and I could hear the spray. If the water smells chitty next time, I guess I will know the source.
Seriously..I guess black tank water could get in the hose, somehow. Another trip to WalMart for a different hose!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
S&Dfz331

Has anyone hurd of putting liquid water softener and some water in their tanks after dumping at your camp site and letting it work around in the tank while driving down the RD. It slick up the tank it helps keep it cleaned out then give it a good flush be fore storing it. I do this at least once a year and it seems to work.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
audio1der

I just heard the water softener trick the other day.
I'm leery about putting anything except my tank chemicals down the hole in case they cause harm to the bacteria or whatever digests all the "stuff" in the tank.
And, lo and behold, despite what I considered over and above efforts, my black tank now reads full all the time. I would like to think it's the half roll of TP my 6 year old uses every time, sigh...
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
geo

There is not much "digestion" done in the holding tanks. If there was, well your nose would tell you! The chemicals are more of a deodorizer and dispersant. The black tank is not a septic tank.

With a search, you will find the following forum posts: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...dium+carbonate. Putting sodium carbonate or water softener in the tank will not affect any bacteria, etc., except maybe to help it slide out.

Do let me correct the article, though. Arm and Hammer now packages Washing Soda in a YELLOW box, not blue. Don't pick up the orange box- that's sodium bicarbonate. Not the same thing.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

As Ron said, the holding tank is NOT a septic system. There is really no "bacterial action" to "digest" or "break down" the contents. About the only bacterial action that does occur is the multiplication of the bacteria introduced through the toilet. That is where the "intensified smell" comes from. As the contents "perk" in the tank, they release the gasses that seep up through the toilet when flushed or get sucked into the RV through the roof vent.

Deodorizers or perfumes to cut down on the smell are what is in the chemicals sold as "black tank agents" and as "good" as they are at "covering" the smell, occasionally, even the best will have an odor problem.

Don't be "misled" into believing that your holding tank "digests" and "breaks down" the contents through bacterial or chemical action. The only "breaking down" that occurs is the occasional mechanical "churning" that happens as you tow the RV down the road.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #26
taylspin

black water tank flush.

I had the same problem with my brand new Sprinter, opened waste dump valve handles, attached "other" hose to inlet, turned water on and nothing happened. There must be a valve inside somewhere that must be opened to allow water to flush tank. No water made it into tank. Unknown location. I flushed it the old fashioned way via the toilet.
taylspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #27
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Dfz331 View Post
Has anyone hurd of putting liquid water softener and some water in their tanks after dumping at your camp site and letting it work around in the tank while driving down the RD. It slick up the tank it helps keep it cleaned out then give it a good flush be fore storing it. I do this at least once a year and it seems to work.
Before and after every season I mix a cup of bleach and 2 gallons of water. Pour it down the toilet and drive to the park where we dump the trailer then drain it out. Seems to help what little bit of smell is left over from time to time. Did it for 13 years in my TT and just did it this year in the Montana.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote