Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
bfurry78

First Trip Bugs

So I had the opportunity to get out this past weekend and I went to turn on the Water Heater (WH) on Electric and after an hour my wife informs me that the water is not hot at all??? So this being my first DSI gas\elec unit thought it would just take a longtime getting to temp on electric only, so in order to make the misses happy i turned on the gas switch and heard the water heater fire and voila sometime later we had hot water. Now I also had to kick the heat on inside the rig and again the next day the wife tells me the water is just luke warm. I went to the panel and I see a new light (DSI FLT). I turned the gas button off and then back on and listened for it to light. It did and then I was sitting outside and I heard the furnace kick on and it sounded like it was starving for gas. I thought this was weird but I heard it take off after sometime and all was normal. Again the misses complained about not hot water and again I looked at the panel and saw that DSI FLT light. I reset again and it kicked off. So why is the DSI failing? Not enough gas flow to the two units to operate at the same time? What gives with the electric heater element maybe? I am new to this style of WH so go easy
2014 Ford F250 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
**Previous**
2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax Turbo Diesel
bfurry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
GaryWT

Some electric heaters have 2 different switches and both need to be on. As for the gas I do not know much but do the rest of the gas items work OK.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Roller4Tan

Basically the propane tanks need to be opened slowly. Close the valves then open slowly. If you have a Suburban water heater there is a switch outside behind the cover. Lower left hand side,,,it may have a cotter key thru the switch. Lots of posts here on gas flow and water heater, furnace issues.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
lindy46

Is this a new trailer? If someone turned on the electric to the water heater with the tank empty, it will immediately burn out the element.

If the piezo lighter fails to operate properly, it may need cleaning. I use an old toothbrush to clean the tip off where it grounds to create the spark.
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
ed cobos

hiya - the first time we took ours out, i connected the fresh water, looked at the the levels, when the tank was at least half full, turned on electric water heater. worked great - haven't used gas yet.
ed cobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed cobos View Post
hiya - the first time we took ours out, i connected the fresh water, looked at the the levels, when the tank was at least half full, turned on electric water heater. worked great - haven't used gas yet.
If this is a brand new camper you should try the gas just to be sure it works.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote