Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
billb800si

ST verses LT tires

I know some may have their own preference so I thought it may be good to know what the PROFESSIONALS have to say about ST (Special Trailer) verses LT (Light Truck) tires.
If you disagree take it up with the professionals - not me....
Happy trails,
---------------------

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...-a-tire-guide/
Rolling Along Safely: A Tire Guide
June 2013 issue Trailer Life Magazine....
Tim Walton
June 19, 2013

ST VERSES LT.

What is a trailer tire and how is it different from a light truck tire? Most trailer tires are specifically designated “ST” because as Special Trailer tires they are designed to handle stresses that are not common to “LT” or light truck tires.
You may have noticed that tight turns with your tandem- and triple-axle trailer put tremendous side loads on the tires. You can see it in the sidewalls or hear it coming from the contact patch. ST tires are designed to handle these side stresses; LTs usually are not.
ST tires are also specifically designed to resist movement that can cause trailer sway, which can be a tremendous advantage in trailer handling.
According to some ST tire manufacturers, the polyester cords used in ST tires are bigger than those found in a comparable P-metric or LT tire. For the most part, the size of these components is directly relative to the tire’s size and load rating regardless of the tire’s type, be it ST, LT or P-metric, and the components are correctly sized for a given tire.
ST tire compounds contain chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking, which are conditions that trailer tires often endure during long-term storage. Characteristics
of these tire compounds also address the inconsistent duty cycles of trailer tires that go from extended inactivity to hard use.
Use of non-ST tires should only be done at the recommendation of the trailer manufacturer. There is no shortage of “experts” online who will swear that ST tires are a conspiracy and that LT tires are better for trailering, but problems with ST trailer tires are likely to stem from not properly maintaining tires, running them underinflated, speeding or a plethora of other trailer-tire mishandlings. We are going to go with the recommendations of the trailer makers and the tire industry.
With that said, some RVers have experienced seemingly unexplained failures with ST tires on appropriately set-up trailers, especially off-brand tires imported from overseas and sold in this country at bargain prices. Some of those people solve their problems by switching to comparably sized LT tires with the same or higher maximum load ratings. This is one option to keep in mind in the event you’re experiencing ongoing trouble with ST tires.

Carlisle’s illustration shows the anatomy of a radial ST trailer tire.
Bias-ply or Radial?
Bias-ply tires are designed with cords that are oriented at about 60 degrees from the direction of travel and are layered to crisscross over each other. This design makes bias-ply tires more rugged, which is a good fit for some rougher terrain and some off-roading. The cord pattern creates a greater resistance to sidewall punctures.
Radial tires feature plies that run perpendicular to the direction of travel. Radial tires deliver a smooth ride, better tread wear and retain less heat, which also extends tire life.
Since bias-ply and radial tires have dramatically different construction and handling characteristics, you should never mix the two types of tires. Always choose one or the other for your trailer. Bias-ply tires are rarely found on new trailers these days.

Blow Up or Blow Out
Tires should be inflated to the pressure recommended for the trailer. A majority of trailer-tire blowouts are due to an underinflated tire, which creates excessive heat, damages the tire liner and causes the tire sidewall to rupture. If a trailer tire has a maximum pressure and not a maximum load at a minimum pressure printed on the sidewall, it should not be exceeded, but trailer tires like all tires should be inflated based on load, which will not necessarily require the maximum or minimum pressure printed on the sidewall.
Tire pressure should be checked when the tires are cold, before use and not when they have been directly exposed to sunlight. Visually inspecting trailer tires before use is important, but also use a tire-pressure gauge to read the actual pressure. The stiffer sidewalls of ST tires can often hide the potentially underinflated tire.
Goodyear recommends that a tire that has been run even 20 percent underinflated be dismounted and inspected by a trained professional. Tires that have been run underinflated shouldn’t be aired up without a full inspection. A tire puncture causing a slow leak can go undetected if you’re not diligent in checking tire pressures. Also, tires naturally lose a pound or two of inflation pressure per month.
Trailers with multiple axles require the tires to be identical in size to properly manage the weight of the trailer for their expected load capacity. Maxxis recommends consulting with your trailer manufacturer when considering larger tires as an option for your trailer. The trailer manufacturer can give you specific information on load capacities and tire sizes. In general, you can replace the same size tire with a higher load capacity, but never go to a lower load rating for your trailer.
While tire-care products can make tires shine and look great, don’t use those that contain alcohol or petroleum distillates. They can cause tires to dry out, become weather cracked and wear more quickly.
Tire Lifespan
It seems counterintuitive, but trailer tires that are regularly used can have a better lifespan than those that are kept in storage. During use, tires release compound lubricants that can help extend tire life. A tire that is not in use can degrade from ultraviolet (UV) exposure.
The life expectancy of a trailer tire varies from manufacturer to manufacturer; however, most are between 3 to 8 years, regardless of mileage. Carlisle Tire estimates that one-third of a tire’s strength is gone in approximately 3 years. Carlisle says to consider replacement after 3 years, regardless of tread depth remaining; and at 5 years definitely replace. That’s just one company’s recommendation.
Other tire manufacturers generally suggest a tire be replaced at 7- or 8-year intervals. Frequent and detailed inspection can help you gain perspective on the tire’s ongoing condition as its projected lifespan nears its end.
Tips for Storage
If the trailer is fitted with bias-ply tires and will be stored for an extended period (say, six months), it should be put on blocks to avoid flat spotting the tires. For shorter-duration storage, place each tire on a waterproof surface — such as a plastic kitchen cutting board, some type of thick rubber mat or a piece of sheet metal on a piece of plywood — to help isolate the tires from groundwater that can soak up into the tire and accelerate tire degradation.
Weather cracking occurs naturally in trailer tires from exposure to heat and sunlight so they should be protected from ozone, UV and heat-related exposure during storage. Storing the trailer in a cool, dark garage will prolong tire life. A less-costly option is to use tire covers available at RV accessory retailers, as these covers shield the tires from sunlight and other storage abuses.
Speed
Speed kills trailer tires. Most ST tires are designed to be run at a maximum of 65 mph. Higher speeds cause the buildup of heat, which seriously impacts the life and wear of the
trailer tires.
Alignment
Trailer alignment can be the cause of tire wear and tear. Finding a shop that is equipped to check and fix alignment issues could mean better trailer-tire life.
Alignment items to be checked include camber, toe-in, and ensuring that the axles are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the hitch pivot point. A well-equipped shop can adjust all of these characteristics to help you achieve long and reliable tire life.
Balance
It’s not a commonly known practice, but balancing trailer tires can help extend tire life as well as the lifespan of wheel bearings and other axle components. An out-of-balance trailer tire is a bad idea just as an out-of-balance tire is a bad idea on a tow vehicle. There’s no one in a trailer to feel the shaking and vibration from out-of-balance tires, but that doesn’t mean the shaking isn’t happening or it’s not affecting the trailer’s hardware. Trailer tire balancing is cheap insurance.
Read the Manufacturing Date
Tire makers are required to display the four-digit manufacturing date of the tire at the end of the DOT number on the tire sidewall. Check this number even when you’re buying new tires to make sure they were recently manufactured and not already missing a part of their useful life sitting on a shelf. The first two digits are the week and the second two are the year of manufacture. So, if the number reads “1912,” they were manufactured in the 19th week of 2012.
Keeping your trailer tires up to date not only avoids delays on your trips, but keeps your family and fellow travelers safer. Save your creativity for your camp cooking and not for selecting trailer tires. Replace with the right tires as recommended by the trailer’s manufacturer or by qualified engineers in the tire industry. Following are popular trailer-tire options.

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
W5WI

Very interesting and it reinforces some information I have from years past!

cheers,

dale
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Thank you

Very informative post. Makes sense.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
dankent

Thanks, great reading post. Very informative.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Jim W

I read the article too and was not impressed with this article at all. No facts where present such as test date to support the use of ST tires over the proper LT tire to use; other than the authors opinion.

I will continue to use my LT tires on my 5er especially since the LT tire is standard equipment on the HIGHER END 5er’s that are being sold.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
thewhitehat

I don't think the article was intended to be a peer-reviewed scientific study, but is probably more a compilation of previously published information made for general audience reading. It will probably, in and of itself, not sway the opinions of those who do their own research and choose to put truck tires on their trailer.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Jager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
. . . .
I will continue to use my LT tires on my 5er especially since the LT tire is standard equipment on the HIGHER END 5er’s that are being sold.
Jim,
What 5ers come with LT tires as standard equipment?

Everyone,
When I first found out that ST tires were only rated to 65mph I got sick. Who in the world hasn't had their trailer over that? It is complete BS to put tires on trailers that can't run over that. Even if you tell me that you never run faster than 65, ok fine. But wouldn't you like a little margin designed into your tires? Who would design something that is at it's absolute limit of use? Just completely dumb.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
allmi01

This is getting a little too serious.

As to speed ratings, I use the best rule fo thumb I ever heard.

Never drive faster that your guardian angels can fly.

It works for me.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

here we go got the fox hole dug and the helmet and flack jacket on... let it fly!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Jim,
What 5ers come with LT tires as standard equipment?

Everyone,
When I first found out that ST tires were only rated to 65mph I got sick. Who in the world hasn't had their trailer over that? It is complete BS to put tires on trailers that can't run over that. Even if you tell me that you never run faster than 65, ok fine. But wouldn't you like a little margin designed into your tires? Who would design something that is at it's absolute limit of use? Just completely dumb.
New Horizons RV Summit uses a Goodyear LT235/75R 16 tires and some of the NUWA RV models use a LT215/75R17.5 tire. Also DRV Mobile Suites uses Goodyear 17.5” H-rated Re-Groove able tire which I believe are not ST tires.

Here is the Goodyear RV tire document and see page 10 of the PDF attached which list LT tires for RV trailers usage.
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
CWtheMan

Here is a reference to the Summit. It has the standard LT235/85R16G tires. There are some misprints on other pages.

http://www.horizonsrv.com/summit/standards-and-options

The 17.5" tires you have mentioned are medium duty truck tires and are most often used on low profile/low platform commercial trailers.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
therink

I would think that is LT tires were dangerous to use as trailer tires, Camping World would not have installed them as an $800 add on when I took delivery of my new fiver.They are by far the best tire I have ever had on any of my 5 rvs.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
diugo
Permanent User Ban

If Keystone and other trailer manufacturers weren't so hell bent on paying absolute bottom dollar for OEM tires, this whole ST vs LT thing would be a moot point.

Because those who replace the BlowMax with quality ST tires seem overwhelmingly pleased with the results.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
CWtheMan

This particular topic is currently running on at least four other RV trailer forums. It's a subject that quickly gets unmanageable.

Without getting into a longwinded, overbearing description of tires, it's probably best to just stick with the basics.

The tire industry is huge. Without regulations and safety standards it would run rampant.

For the most part, vehicle manufacturer's task tire manufacturers with their needs. They, the vehicle manufactures, have the sole responsibility for tire selection and fitment to the vehicles they build. During the vehicle certification process they are required to insure their tire/rim selection is displayed on the certification label. Along with that information is the vehicle's GVWR & GAWR information. Recommended tire pressures are also part of that information.

Just because vehicle manufacturer (A) selects a particular tire design for fitment to their product does not mean vehicle manufacturer (B) has or wants to do the same thing. Remember, that decision is an independent decision for each vehicle manufacturer to make. So, when you're in the market for replacement tires your first inquiry should be from the manufacturer of your trailer.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
elkhorn98

I like the part of the article where it says people with blowouts with st tires switch to lt tires and solve the blowout problem.
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension Upgrade
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 C tires
elkhorn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
abneynormal

i cant drive 65

I did 63 mph when I drove for usa truck. my freight shaker likes 72. the firestone transforce ht 235/85-16e is rated maximum 106 mph. the powerking towmax's had less than 6000 miles on them when I blew 3 of them. it was a complete separation of the cap from the tire. yep the sidewalls were intact but the tread was on the side of the road. ive blown several like this on big rigs they were called recaps. not new tires. I will run lt's from now on
however, I will advise you if you only have 2 axles and or 15" tires you have to consider your weight more than speed. my total axle weight is 18000 my tire weight is 18270. my actual weight on my tires (fully loaded) is 14000. 3 axles and 16" wheels
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
2014Fuzion300

Good reading thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote