Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
rusty rider

45deg fridge

Have followed all the fix-it ideas and had rvs for 40 yrs so know how to use them....[didn't take it out and turn up side down yet] If I take it out ,it will go to the dump...

this is a 03 Tail Gator and the only way we can use it at all is a block of ICE in the bottom and ice in the freezer also..

My question is there any way I can turn up the flame on the burner????

Don't have much of a change of useing the a/c part as out in doonies most of the time..

Have 2 other RVs and the fridges work fine in them...

Any help would be great!!!!! thanks Rich

04 Keystone Tail Gator 35fter
05 GMC 2500 D Max wilh Slider
00 Mountain Air 39fter Ranch house
07 Keystone Cougar 28fter w/ Slide
07 ST 1300 Honda the tour bike
09 Kawa Versys 650 street bike
2012 Polaris RXR XP Moded out
rusty rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
rusty rider

Warm Reffer

HEY,, I need some help here.... Somebody must have some suggestions to help with this problem...

Gettin really tired of keepin ICE in this ice box....

Who's got a another one for sale with a ADJUSTMENT on the Temp????

Bummer....do I sound unhappy??? Yea I am.. Sorry for ventin here...

Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
BeaverRZR

By what you've said I would suspect the thermocouple. Slap a new one in there. They're cheap.

Maybe have an HVAC tech check the refrigerent charge
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
rusty rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverRZR View Post
By what you've said I would suspect the thermocouple. Slap a new one in there. They're cheap.

Maybe have an HVAC tech check the refrigerent charge

Thanks ,,thats helps as I didnt know about a thermocouple in there..

Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
jumpy

Hi Rusty I have recently been working on a new model fridge in my new TH and found electrical problems with it that I repaired. I have also worked on older models as well does your fridge have a 12v operating system or is it manual start for your 120 volt or gas system? What I have read and experinced is that it needs three things Heat source ie. gas or electric and air flow for cooling and level unit. If you have these things and it still not working than it could be low on gas. There is help in the online web pages that the different manufactures have on line. Just offering help good luck.
jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
rusty rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy View Post
Hi Rusty I have recently been working on a new model fridge in my new TH and found electrical problems with it that I repaired. I have also worked on older models as well does your fridge have a 12v operating system or is it manual start for your 120 volt or gas system? What I have read and experinced is that it needs three things Heat source ie. gas or electric and air flow for cooling and level unit. If you have these things and it still not working than it could be low on gas. There is help in the online web pages that the different manufactures have on line. Just offering help good luck.
Mine has the 12v system but NO temp setting at all....not even the fin slider that I have in the 07 Cougar...

I think the next step is a tech person to check on the gas system..

Thanks for the reply....Rich

Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Rich,

It sounds like your refrigerator is not working on gas or electric... If that's the case and if you do have a small flame when on the gas mode, then the gas section is probably working correctly. There's a very fine line between not enough heat and too much heat in the chimney. Dometic has a big warning about cleaning the burner assembly. They say to NOT use anything to clean the "ruby orfice" as any damage will render the gas operation inoperable. There is no adjustment on the flame. Any increased flame temp will cause the ammonia to perk faster and boil too early in the refrigeration sequence and most likely damage the cooling unit.

Have you checked the two fuses inside the "black box" on the back of the reefer? If they are good and if you have no cooling on gas or electric, my guess is you've lost your ammonia charge and either a new refrigerator or a new cooling unit is the next step.

You can often find a reconditioned cooling unit with a longer warranty than a new reefer for less than half the cost of a new one. Check online, there are a number of rebuilding plants located around the conutry. If you're handy with tools, pulling the refrigerator, removing the bad unit and installing the new one is very straightforward and as long as you follow the instructions "CAREFULLY" it's an easy task.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
rusty rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Rich,

It sounds like your refrigerator is not working on gas or electric... If that's the case and if you do have a small flame when on the gas mode, then the gas section is probably working correctly. There's a very fine line between not enough heat and too much heat in the chimney. Dometic has a big warning about cleaning the burner assembly. They say to NOT use anything to clean the "ruby orfice" as any damage will render the gas operation inoperable. There is no adjustment on the flame. Any increased flame temp will cause the ammonia to perk faster and boil too early in the refrigeration sequence and most likely damage the cooling unit.

Have you checked the two fuses inside the "black box" on the back of the reefer? If they are good and if you have no cooling on gas or electric, my guess is you've lost your ammonia charge and either a new refrigerator or a new cooling unit is the next step.

You can often find a reconditioned cooling unit with a longer warranty than a new reefer for less than half the cost of a new one. Check online, there are a number of rebuilding plants located around the conutry. If you're handy with tools, pulling the refrigerator, removing the bad unit and installing the new one is very straightforward and as long as you follow the instructions "CAREFULLY" it's an easy task.
That looks like what we are going to have to do... We do get what you would call a decent flame and about the same cooling on electric on the Gen,,[not adequack cooling] on either..

Am away from the rig now so will check out so more ideas when back in it....

Thank you for your input and suggestions....It does help... Rich