Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
rosede

Poor TV signal

I don't care where I'm at, the signal for the TV is pathetic. Initially, I couldn't get any signal, I suspected the cable and replaced it. That helped some what. Now I can get a signal, but its still pretty weak.

Can I put in a HDTV signal amplifier? If so, where would I install it?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Daryl -

I've installed a Winegard Wingman on our antenna and it seems to have improved reception considerably. It is available at CW for around $25 -$30 and is very easy to install.

Have you pushed in the small TV antenna booster button on the wall template? It will glow red when depressed. If you haven't, your reception will be restricted and poor.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
B&T

Quote:
You already have an amplifier -- as Festus2 said, push the button, until it glows red---oops green it is -- just checked here.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
You already have an amplifier -- as Festus2 said, push the button, until it glows red.
Just a note that what these two have said is true that the amplifier needs to be on but mine glows green.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
Just a note that what these two have said is true that the amplifier needs to be on but mine glows green.
Yes, I checked the button. As a matter of fact, that was the first thing that I checked, and as TandE said, mine is green.

If I already have a signal amplifier, will installing another one help? Maybe the one that I have isn't working? Where is it installed? Should I try and replace it?

Thanks.

Daryl

Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
TandE

I don't know about adding another one will help at all but as Fetus2 said many people have added a wingman to their antenna and have greatly improved their reception and got more channels than before or have gotten channels when they never did before. Mine does not pick up that many channels but I haven't messed with it that much. I do know that the antenna needs to be pointed in the direction of the signal too and that terrain greatly plays a role in reception also.

Personally I am going to add a wingman to mine since it is cheap and I don't watch tv that much when camping.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to remember about the wingman (I have one also and they work great) is that it makes your antenna more "directional" What that means is if you're able to get weak signals in about a 45 degree area where the antenna is pointed, once you install a wingman, it will reduce that cone to about 20 degrees... So, you may have to move the antenna between stations if they are located in the same "general area" but not real close together. and you will not get the signal until you're pointed "almost straight at the transmitting station.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
I don't care where I'm at, the signal for the TV is pathetic. Initially, I couldn't get any signal, I suspected the cable and replaced it. That helped some what. Now I can get a signal, but its still pretty weak.

Thanks

Daryl
The the built in amplifier is actually in the head unit that is on the roof. If the Amp is bad, the easiest fix is to replace the head. You said you replaced a cable but you did not say which one. My first usual suspect on bad reception is the cable connections on the roof -- make sure they are firmly connected as it sometimes works loose.

additional note on a wingman addon: only helps reception for channels in the Uhf Band which is ch 14 and up -- will do nothing for the Vhf Band, ch 13 and down.

Adding any additional amp without repairing what is not working is not something i feel will really help you.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
Old 08-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
hankaye

rosede, Howdy;

Check ALL of the coax connections, everyone of them.
One loose connection and it just won't work right. I found most were just twisted on a few turns and not snugged down tight. I even had to remove the antenna base from the roof to tighten up one connection then re seal the base to the roof.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Dave45039

I've found that aiming the antenna is critical, especially with the Wingman. Using a map and compass to aim at the closest big city works wonders. I have recently found an App for my phone that does the work for me.

Dave & Janet

2013 Cougar 333MKS
2013 GMC 2500HD 6.0L / 4.10
[/LIST]
Dave45039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE
Personally I am going to add a wingman to mine since it is cheap and I don't watch tv that much when camping.
We don't watch a lot of TV either. However, I do like having the TV on when eating at the table. Also, I want to be able to have TV reception in case of bad weather. I've been out several times over the years when bad weather has moved through. If a person has to seek shelter, its nice to have information available letting you know what the weather is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye
Check ALL of the coax connections, everyone of them.
One loose connection and it just won't work right. I found most were just twisted on a few turns and not snugged down tight. I even had to remove the antenna base from the roof to tighten up one connection then re seal the base to the roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T
You said you replaced a cable but you did not say which one. My first usual suspect on bad reception is the cable connections on the roof -- make sure they are firmly connected as it sometimes works loose.
Checking the coax connections were the first things that I did. The cable that I replaced was the cable from the wall outlet to the TV. That helped, but not well enough.

I rotated the antenna to see if that will help the reception, but that doesn't make a difference. It doesn't matter which direction I point the antenna, the reception does not improve.

Last night I looked at the actual antenna and checked the connections there. The only issue that I found was that the rubber boot that seals up the hole in the roof where the cable enters the camper was not seated. I pushed the boot down and covered it up a bit with the putty. Since the hole was exposed, I don't know if any water had gotten down in there. If so, I guess I'd be more concerned about water causing damage to the interior. I've never seen any water spots on the inside ceiling,so I guess everything in there is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T
The the built in amplifier is actually in the head unit that is on the roof. If the Amp is bad, the easiest fix is to replace the head.
How difficult is it to remove the antenna head?

Thank you.

Daryl

Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave45039 View Post
I've found that aiming the antenna is critical, especially with the Wingman. Using a map and compass to aim at the closest big city works wonders. I have recently found an App for my phone that does the work for me.
Installing a Wingman on our antenna helped tremendously. Also, I use http://www.antennapoint.com since the addition of the Wingman not only increases the antenna gain but also makes it more directional.
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
B&T

Quote:
How difficult is it to remove the antenna head?
It just bolts on the existing mast. Out with the old -- in with the new, connect the cable to the connection on top of the rv -- done.

Here is one place selling a replacement head with a wingman, you should shop around for best price though.

http://www.adventurerv.net/winegard-...FUSi4AodPiAAPg
2003 R-Vision Traillite
Old 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

If it is the same as mine, and on last 2 RVs I owned they are not real good to start with but, you need to add a wingman to get much TV now days. I would not change anything , add the wingman and if it is still a problem, it is a 2013, still under waranty. Let them fix it. I went from 2 channels to 15-20 by putting it on. Takes 10-15 minutes. Do you get TV signals there with other TVs such as in the house etc. Just the location good be a problem. In the nearby mountains there are no signals over the air.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote