Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
bmallak

WD hitch for 303TG

I am Real close to signing papers on a 2013 laredo 303TG. I was going to get a blue ox sway pro hitch from my brother in law that is going to a 5th wheel. Its the 5 year old style with the snap up latches. Will this hitch work with this trailer? I see some people modifying where the battery goes but I dont understand what is causing problems. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
bmallak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
game warden

I started out with a reese wd with round bars ..hated it . Then went to a reese dual cam next, I like it but you need someone who knows how to set it up correctly or forget it you will not like it at all.Make sure if you go with a dual cam your dealer has installed them and know how to tune it to work right.I have a 303tg 2012 that i am using this set up on.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

The problem is the front cap. Its kind of aerodynamic, so it sticks out front a little more than the older models. For ex: the front a-frame, may be covered up more than the older non capped fronts. The propane tanks and battery used to be outside but now are covered up in the front cap for protection. The 5vers started this years ago and now its just catching up the the TT's. These wd bars are now in the way, for the shorter front ends.

Personally I like the looks of the new front caps and it probably is more weather prone and may last longer than the older front ends of the TT. Even though mine is the OLDER STYLE.

I just had 2 buddies by a 5ver and TT and at 2 different places and they both had the hitches thrown in, at least thats what they are telling me. Anyways I think these dealers are hurting at this season, not camping season, so see what you could do?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
bmallak

thanks for the responses but it doesnt answer my question. I know the propane tanks are covered but the battery is not. From what i Have read or seen is that the hitches interfere with the battery. I saw one guy posted pics of his dealer raising his battery up and looked like it was on top of the frame. I guess I will just keep researching or wait and talk to the dealer this weekend. No one gets a hitch for free. Your paying for it one way or another. From my experience buying if you try to get free stuff you end up paying more than if you would just get the best deal possible on the trailer and buy the rest later or somewhere else. But to each their own. What ever works. Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

The trouble with the battery is the factory has the it mounted in between the frame down low. This looks good but interferes with the hitch system. My dealer simply ground off the angle iron, moved it forward an inch or so and screwed it to the top of the frame. I use a Reese dual cam straight line hitch with no issues.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
bmallak

So do you have to move the battery to work with any hitch or is that just a problem with the reece hitch?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know about other brands, but the battery was right where the snap up brackets needed to go for the Reese straight line system.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Laredo291OH

I have a 2011 Laredo 291TG, the slightly smaller cousin to the 303. I believe the battery and front cap are the same on both. I run the reese dual cam setup, which works very well btw. I installed the hitch myself, the problem I ran into was with the brackets for the cams, the snap up brackets fit with no problem. According to the directions you can swap the cam brackets from side to side to gain clearance, I did that but part of the bracket was still going to interfere with the battery. I modified the brackets instead of the battery mount. Only had to cut away a small part of the bracket which didn't affect the strength of the bracket at all. I also had to remove the serial number plate, it was in the way no matter how you mounted the cam brackets.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
devoed

My 2013 303TG has the battery box on top the frame rails, this is a different location than previous years. I use the Reese Dual-cam sway control with a 2003 Suburban 2500 as the tow vehicle. I love it.
devoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
bmallak

I Talked to the dealer after we signed papers and they said they have not had any problems with interference and they sell blue ox hitches. I guess I will find out for sure when we pick it up in april. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Bob Landry

I have a Reese Round Bar/Dual Cam and have used it on two different trailers with no issues. I'm not seeing how it's going to interfere with the battery location since the swing-up bracket just slips over the trailer frame and tightens with bolts from the inside. I did have to use shorter bolts to mount it on my Outback, but no big deal there.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
mtl4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmallak View Post
I Talked to the dealer after we signed papers and they said they have not had any problems with interference and they sell blue ox hitches. I guess I will find out for sure when we pick it up in april. Thanks for the help guys.

I was looking at the Reese Dual Cam but heard it was noisy and would like to get some feedback on how the Blue Ox worked on this trailer.

Curious which size you got as well as any updates on likes or dislikes.

Laredo 303TG (soon to be purchased)
mtl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
mtl4

Quote:
Any updates at all?

Looking to get a hitch soon myself.

Laredo 303TG (soon to be purchased)
mtl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
bmallak

I have the older version of the blue ox hitch that is adjustable tilt and sway control. It does work on the trailer. I got the hitch used and it came with a ball with 1" rise. The manual says to use a 2" rise ball with a 6" frame which is what the laredo has. I pulled it home with the 1" rise ball but I could not get the trailer perfectly level. So I ordered a 2" rise ball but have not had a chance to install it and reset the hitch. But the trailer seems to tow ok with the blue ox and I think it can get better when set up properly. I hope this makes sense and answers some of your questions. I will know more in a couple weeks. Im busy doing bunk bed mods to keep the kids from falling out.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl4 View Post
I was looking at the Reese Dual Cam but heard it was noisy and would like to get some feedback on how the Blue Ox worked on this trailer.
The DC is noisy only if the owner/operator lets it be noisy. Reese includes instructions with the hitch on how to properly lube the cams to eliminate the creaking sounds.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
warsw

Quote:
I am Real close to signing papers on a 2013 laredo 303TG. I was going to get a blue ox sway pro hitch from my brother in law that is going to a 5th wheel. Its the 5 year old style with the snap up latches. Will this hitch work with this trailer? I see some people modifying where the battery goes but I dont understand what is causing problems. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
I'm not familiar enough with the trailer you are getting to know if there are any hitch mounting problems.

I do have the newer version on the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and I can tell you that the chain brackets, even though they operate a little differently, are mount to the frame in the same manner and mount in about the same place as all the other hitches. If the Sway Pro won’t fit none of them will.

I also don't have any experience with the older version of the Sway Pro but I can say that the new version is the best hitch I have ever owned. It works as advertised, is absolutely silent and is the easiest hitch on the planet to get set up. The older version should work pretty well but will take a little more time to get set up.

Probably not much help am I .