Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
RV Newbie

Thanks everyone!

I truly want to thank everyone for your feedback and advice! These RV threads are wonderful sources of info and a great resource for first time RV buyers. Thanks to the information that you all provided, we have now changed our focus completely to hybrid trailers. They seem to be the best combination of usable space (when opened), short length and low weight.

We have found one that we really like that offer great features for our family with the following specs:

GVWR = 6432
DHW = 432
Ext. Length = 24'10"

It seems to be a much better fit for us and being tent campers prior to having kids, there is nothing like hearing all of the sounds of the outdoors at night (as long as the campground is quiet right?)!

Thanks again!
RV Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #22
davidjsimons

If you look on the Virginia Campers group page, there is a member selling a very clean and fairly new Shamrock 21 SS. I know it's not a Keystone product, but it may be worth a look. It is located in Oak Hill, Va.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
The Sod Father

JMHO, but I think you can stick with your current combination of a 35' trailer and your Infinity if you lash them together with a Hensley Arrow. I had horrible sway issue with my Expedition and 35 trailer lashed together with an Equalizer. I went back and forth with the folks at Equalizer and at one point, a guy suggested I ditch the Expedition for a pickup truck. Before going to that extreme, I bought a refurbed Hensley directly from the factory. I have not had a single sway issue since.

Food for thought.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
JMHO, but I think you can stick with your current combination of a 35' trailer and your Infinity if you lash them together with a Hensley Arrow. I had horrible sway issue with my Expedition and 35 trailer lashed together with an Equalizer. I went back and forth with the folks at Equalizer and at one point, a guy suggested I ditch the Expedition for a pickup truck. Before going to that extreme, I bought a refurbed Hensley directly from the factory. I have not had a single sway issue since.

Food for thought.
I agree with your assessment that a Hensley may help or even completely eliminate the OP's potential to encounter sway, but the Hensley weighs even more then the Reese he was considering. With his rear axle weight as well as the GCWR and GVWR, he will still have issues with overloading even if he eliminates the sway. His choice of RV with the TV he has just isn't a good combination even if the sway is controlled by a Hensley.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Newbie View Post
I truly want to thank everyone for your feedback and advice! These RV threads are wonderful sources of info and a great resource for first time RV buyers. Thanks to the information that you all provided, we have now changed our focus completely to hybrid trailers. They seem to be the best combination of usable space (when opened), short length and low weight.

We have found one that we really like that offer great features for our family with the following specs:

GVWR = 6432
DHW = 432
Ext. Length = 24'10"

It seems to be a much better fit for us and being tent campers prior to having kids, there is nothing like hearing all of the sounds of the outdoors at night (as long as the campground is quiet right?)!

Thanks again!

I agree with you, the hybrid RV's do offer much more usability in a shorter length. In reality, they are good 3 season campers and offer most of the conveniences that a hardwall RV offers. Some problems you'll encounter are potential leaks around the fabric/vinyl attachment points, issues with mold if you close the RV when it's damp or when it's raining (and don't open to dry when you get home), heating and cooling the bed areas in extreme temperature (both hot and cold climates). However, as a compromise RV, I'm sure you'll make many happy memories with your family in your new choice. Plus, travelling will be much more enjoyable for the driver and I'm sure the kids will appreciate a smiling parent once they get to the campground LOL

As for numbers, with a GVW of 6432, you will realistically see tongue weights between 635 to 965 lbs. That's 10% to 15% of the trailer weight.

IMHO, you'll be much happier travelling with this RV in tow vs a 35' monster.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
gregrc75

Another possible option for a shorter trailer would be the Keystone Outbacks with the rear slide out. It is sort of the same concept of a hybrid but without the tent ends if that is not desirable to you.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

It's not what's desirable to any of us, rather what's desirable to you and your family. The last thing you want to do, I think, is use opinions on here (or anywhere for that matter) to mandate your final selection. They are opinions and may help guide you in a general direction, but certainly they are only that, suggestions from others who have used RV's in the past and currently enjoy them. The final choice of what's right for your family should be YOUR decision, based on reviewing the options available and the opinions of others, but ultimately, you're the family that will be sleeping in it, towing it and hopefully making many happy memories in it. Be sure that whatever you buy, it feels right to you, makes you confident that you and your family will enjoy it and that it gives you a smile (or a grin) every time you look at it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS