Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
dandjh1958

Question Question on fresh water in Hideout 24RLWE

We just got back from our second trip in our new Hideout. We were in it for two weeks straight and no issues except for one.

We were on city water- and also watched my tank levels but I don't think they were very accurate so I relied on looking down and toilet for black water level and watching the shower for grey water levels. All went well.
But when it came time to leave, I dumped the tanks and then disconnected the city water, turned off the hot water heater and let it cool then figured I'd just turn on the water pump and pump out any water in the heater. To my surprise, the fresh water tank read it was 2/3 full and it took quite a long time running out the water in it (and the hot water heater).

Do I have a leak in the city water line that is allowing water to go into the fresh water tank? I used a regulator on the city water line but I could probably use a better one.
I thought the fresh water tank was filled from the other side and I know we never added any water in it. We've only used city water hook ups.

This is our first TT - we have never had this problem with our popup fresh water tank.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!
Julie
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Rick1300

When we bought our TT from camping world they filled our freshwater tank and did not tell me.

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat crew cab 6.0 Powerstroke
2013 cougar 21rbswe
Rick1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If you turn on the water pump, you are taking cold water from the fresh water tank (providing there is water in the tank) and if you turn on the HW tap, that water will come from the HW tank. When you turned on each tap at the faucet while the pump was running, did cold and hot water come out of each?

The city water and potable fresh water are two separate systems and any water that is in the fresh water tank would come from the potable filling port. Usually, the city water and the potable water are side by side and on the same side- not sure how they are situated in your unit.

When trying to drain the water from the FW tank, did you run the pump and try to empty it that way or did you go underneath the unit, locate the FW tank and open the petcock or FW drain valve?

When you turned your HW tap on to drain the water from the HW tank, was that to re-winterize your HW tank? To properly empty your HW tank when winterizing , the threaded drain plug should be removed so that the tank is allowed to completely drain.

Remember not to turn on the HW tank if it is drained as you will most likely "fry" the inside.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
campingcpl

Your water pump has a check valve in it and it is possible that the check valve could be bad and allowing water to back flow through the pump and into the fresh water tank. To test this just remove the inlet line from the holding tank to the pump and then hook up your city water connection and see if water is coming out the open connection of the pump. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
dandjh1958

When we first got the TT during walk thru, they showed us the indicators and the grey, black and fresh all showed as empty so I know we started dry.
Then the first time we used the trailer it was only for two nights but that's when the fresh started to show that it had water in it but I just thought the gauge was misreading.
Then after two weeks of city water hook up, the gauge on the fresh showed as full so I unhooked the city water, turned off and cooled the hot water heater and then opened both the hot and cold until the water was spurting and the pump sounded like it was getting dry.

I'm not winterizing yet (I live in denial and try to camp all winter long!!) so I just ran the water out and didn't drain from the low spots or pull the drain plug on the HW tank.

I'll look at the check valve and see if that is the problem.

Thanks again for all your help.
Julie (and Don)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Javi

It don't seem to be that uncommon, my check valve will "leak" from city fill to fresh tank, about a gallon every 4 days... I winterize at the campsite as I'm leaving so I'm draining the low points anyway...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

As stated, the check valves do leak "a little" but yours seems to be leaking more than most. I'd start with a known empty tank (drain it to be sure) and then see how much water you get over time. With the knowledge of how much time it takes to fill (leak) to a full tank, you can better let the dealer know what you're experiencing.

As for draining the fresh water tank, if you use the pump, you most likely won't get all the water out because the pickup to the pump is located above the bottom of the tank. That might leave 3 or 4 gallons or possibly more in the tank when the pump quits pumping water out of the tank. While it wouldn't make a lot of difference in what you're trying to check, if you rely on that method to drain the tank to winterize it, you may find a split or cracked tank come spring. I'd suggest you use the fresh water drain under your RV to drain the tank. You should see three drains under the trailer, two should be pretty close together, they are the hot and cold water "low point drains" and are used to empty the plumbing lines. They normally have screw off caps on them. The other is the fresh water tank drain and is located at the bottom of the fresh water tank and most often has a quarter turn valve on it. Making sure the fresh water tank is as empty as possible is a good practice when storing for the winter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
dandjh1958

Just as an update, this camping trip, I bought and used a better water regulator and used city water. The fresh water tank registered empty at the beginning and end of the 7 day trip. I think it was just a bad water regulator and not the check valve which caused the fresh water tank to fill on my last camping trip.

thanks to everyone for your knowledge.
Julie (and Don)