Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
lachristopher

Towing Issue

I know this may sound stupid (you'll be getting a lot of those kind from me I fear), but getting ready to move into another spot in the rv part and if you've read our history know that I haven't pulled this rig anywhere and hubby isn't able to help -- we have a ram 3500 and it is quite high. When our salesman dropped the trailer here, he didn't use anything to drop the tongue down onto. It is raised as high as it can go and is still really quite a bit lower than the truck. What can I do please?
lachristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
gkainz

Regular trailer (non-fifth wheel?) find some blocks to put under the tongue while its up as high as you can get it. Lower into the blocks.
Retract the jack all the way and put more blocks under the jack.
Extend the jack again onto the blocks and you should be able to lift the hitch high enough to hook up.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
davidjsimons

Or you can use an automotive jack stand. Place the jack stand under the tongue. Lower the trailer onto the jack stand. Place a block under your landing leg, once it is off of the ground and then raise the tongue of the trailer back up off of the automotive jack stand. This is a very stable and safe method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
SteveC7010

If you have SteadyFast or other angle stabilizers, loosen them.

The front stabilizers on the trailer need to be all the way down to do this.

Then retract the nose jack as far as you can and place some blocks under it. They need to be stable!!!! Use blocks that are 6"x"6 or larger Don't build the blocks all the way up to the tip of the jack - leave several inches of space.

Then lower the nose jack until it almost touches the blocks.

Retract the rear stabilizers all the way.

Drop the nose jack some more until it takes quite a bit of weight.

Retract the front stabilizers all the way. At this point the whole trailer should be on the tires and the nose jack. Everything else is retracted or removed or loosened up.

Now raise the nose with the nose jack until the bottom of the coupler is just a bit higher than the top of the ball.

Back the truck up to the ball and drop the coupler onto the ball. Secure it with the latch.
------------------------------------------------------------

Think of the trailer as a teeter-totter. If you lower the nose, you raise the rear end and vice versa. Consider where the weight is at any given time and you'll quickly figure out what to raise or lower when.
------------------------------------------------------------

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
lachristopher

Red face Towing Issue

The tongue is wound as high as the handle will allow and the 'pole' part of it is still on the ground. So can't get anything under it.

Don't have the ability (or maybe even the equipment) to jack it up and not sure what the third reply means at all. We're talking about a 60 year-old woman who has only driven Class A's. This is a travel trailer and I can fill and replace propane, keep the holding tanks almost empty and replace fuses. That's about it. My husband is still too ill to even go to his dialysis without me helping him get out the door. I need very plain layman's terms. I'm willing to attempt almost anything as long as it doesn't require me getting under the trailer, but I only have a few tools, new weight distribution, sway bar equipment and a ball to put on my truck (which I'm not sure how to do either).

It's a whole new ballgame, folks!
lachristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

From your previous posts several days ago, one of our members did come to your assistance I believe. We also suggested that you try to get some help from other people in the campground - manager, camping neighbor, etc.

There must be others in the campground who have travel trailers and who can help you. I know you said earlier that no one around you seemed very friendly but surely, given your predicament, there has to be a good Samaritan somewhere in the RV park.

If you try any of the suggestions above, make sure that your have placed chocks in front of and behind your trailer tires!! You do not want the trailer to be moving while trying to raise or lower it.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
GaryWT

Is there anyone at the park, the owner or a worker that can help you out, maybe a friend or neighbor? Just a thought, it is always nice to have help.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
SlowPoke

Having a 6 pack of Bud or similar, should be the only tool you need, offer a cold 6 pack to someone hanging around the campfire, and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help. Just don't let them have the booze, UNTIL AFTER you've gotten safe assistance. Also, after they leave, maybe have another neighbor check the setup for you as a second opinion...(may require a second 6 pack though...)

Good luck with it! and as Festus2 said, make sure those tires are chocked before letting anyone help!!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
SteveC7010

There are dozens of videos on youtube showing how to hitch up or level or tow a travel trailer. If you'll view a few of them, you will learn the language and how to do all the tasks I described in my previous post.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
hankaye

lachristopher, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachristopher View Post
The tongue is wound as high as the handle will allow and the 'pole' part of it is still on the ground. So can't get anything under it.
From the above quote, I take it that the tongue is sitting on the ground
or close to it. If that's the case, then extend the "pole" and raise the front
of the camper high enough to place something (jack stands, extend front
stabilizer jacks, whatever), to support the front of the camper while you
retract the "pole" and place (as recomended), a 6"X6"X12" block under the
"pole". You may also want to have a 4"X4"X12" block handy in case
the 6" block dosen't allow the camper's hitch to rest compleatly on the ball
on the hitch.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

A pic of how the RV is currently sitting would be helpful.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

It is really easy to care take of unless you have not done it. Do you have the members phone # that is going to help you move. If so phone him about that problem so he can come with the stuff needed to take care of it. If that help fell thru let us know.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote