Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
vallboss2

new to towing

Going on our first trip next week with our new Bullet Premier 30REPR travel trailer and towing with a F250 Ford Diesel. What are some
good tips for towing on Interstate and in the heavy traffic. Going to Pigeon Forge Tenn. which is about 200 miles on I81 & 40.

Moderator's Note-
This post originally appeared in the Prospective Owner's Forum and was moved to here. The poster has already purchased the Bullet and is asking a towing question.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
f6bits

300 miles is about the outer limit of how far you should drive in a day. 5 hours of attentively pulling a trailer is pretty draining.

In heavy traffic, leave lots of space in front of you so you don't have to stress about stopping distances. In light traffic, I use cruise control so I don't have to keep an eagle eye on my speed.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
vallboss2

THANKS! appreciate the info.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
KanTC

Welcome to the forum Vernon & Regina!

Trailer tires: check the lugnuts & air pressures... and keep in mind that trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph.

Most of all have fun & relax

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
muddynoll

Keep to the right lane. 60 - 65 mpr, don't be in a hurry. You will enjoy the journey much more if you're not pushing just to get there. You will learn your limitations on how far you can go before getting tired of driving.When you push beyoun your limits ,thats when mistakes are made and bad things happen. You will be fine. Enjoy your travels.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Javi

Above all else watch for the idiots, they will ride your bumper, pass on the right shoulder and pass then slide in front and hit the brakes...

Be safe, have fun and enjoy the ride...
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
davidjsimons

Look in your mirrors as much as you do out the windshield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
GaryWT

Stay wide on corners on city streets, don't get upset if no one lets you change lanes people do not want to be behind us (others are very good about it), watch for people cutting you off to get to their exit, do not worry if you are only comfortable doing 50-55 to start off, don't worry about what others think.

You can generally tell who has towed at some point in their life as they will give you the space you need.

Be aware of trucks and pay attention when they pass, some will move you if the speed is up, so won't.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallboss2 View Post
Going on our first trip next week with our new Bullet Premier 30REPR travel trailer and towing with a F250 Ford Diesel. What are some
good tips for towing on Interstate and in the heavy traffic. Going to Pigeon Forge Tenn. which is about 200 miles on I81 & 40.

Moderator's Note-
This post originally appeared in the Prospective Owner's Forum and was moved to here. The poster has already purchased the Bullet and is asking a towing question.
Here is a blog post I wrote with some tips, it was aimed at fifth wheels but most are transferable to bumper tows.

One thing to be wary of with a trailer is wind, it can have a big effect when towing, always check the forecast.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Wayne

All good advice. You have plenty of truck & hopefully also have some type of equalizer hitch with sway control. I feel this should be a requirement for any TT & it really helps when big rigs are passing plus when you are close to a big rig & getting the backwash air. X 2 on the watch the rear mirrors as much as the front.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Wayne

I forgot to mention...should you decide to venture over to the Cherokee area, I suggest going the long route (forget the #) instead of going on the tale of the dragon. It is very winding and tough on tranny & brakes.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
hankaye

Wayne, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum.

As you will be going through "The Gorge" on I-40 W
there is a seperate speed limit for the Truckers as the
road is like a wet noodle (curvy), and some fairly steep grades.
The Trucks are not allowed to pass on the down grades (some will
as they think they be 'Special"). DON'T let them force you into an
uncomfortable situation.
Handy Hint;
When going down hill don't go faster than you went
UP the hill. Figure your SAFE speed and start 5 mph below that,
allow your speed to creep up to the SAFE speed then use moderate
breaking force to slow to the 5 below speed.
Repete untill you are on the flats... Take a deep breath let it out slowly,
and flex your fingers (one hand at a time)....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
vallboss2

Good first trip, but a sad trip

Click image for larger version

Name:	pine mt.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2603
We left on Monday, March 8 and headed to Pigeon Forge, weather was nice when we left. As we got on down the road the wind started gusting at about 20 to 25 mph. We are very glad we traded our F150 for a Ford F250 diesel because it sure made a difference with the dual cam hitch. We had no problem at all. We got the camper set up and the only issue was that our septic hose was too short, but a quick trip to Walmart took care of that. Settled in for the night with a pizza, a good movie and the rain pouring down, but it was fun!. The next day we decided to go to Gatlinburg for the day and were having a great time when I received a phone call saying my Dad had passed away. We were booked for five more days, but called the rv resort and told them the situation and they were very kind and refunded our money. Since it was late we packed up and left early the next morning with unexpected snow flurries coming down. The closer we got to home the worse the weather - snow and gusting winds - sometimes it was almost white out. The temp was warm enough that the roads were clear. We had no problem towing in that type of weather. It was a very sad time and it seemed it took us forever to get home.
We are going back in about two to three weeks. I will miss my Dad!
Regina Delph
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Love2camp

Valboss2, sorry to hear about your father. In November of 05 we drove seven hours to Key West, set up camp, went to sleep and awoke to same phone call. I agree the trip home was horribly long, especially with two young kids in the back seat. Thank God for great memories of lost loved ones.

2012 Keystone Alpine 3700RE
2006 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 DRW
Love2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallboss2 View Post
Attachment 2603
We left on Monday, March 8 and headed to Pigeon Forge, weather was nice when we left. As we got on down the road the wind started gusting at about 20 to 25 mph. We are very glad we traded our F150 for a Ford F250 diesel because it sure made a difference with the dual cam hitch. We had no problem at all. We got the camper set up and the only issue was that our septic hose was too short, but a quick trip to Walmart took care of that. Settled in for the night with a pizza, a good movie and the rain pouring down, but it was fun!. The next day we decided to go to Gatlinburg for the day and were having a great time when I received a phone call saying my Dad had passed away. We were booked for five more days, but called the rv resort and told them the situation and they were very kind and refunded our money. Since it was late we packed up and left early the next morning with unexpected snow flurries coming down. The closer we got to home the worse the weather - snow and gusting winds - sometimes it was almost white out. The temp was warm enough that the roads were clear. We had no problem towing in that type of weather. It was a very sad time and it seemed it took us forever to get home.
We are going back in about two to three weeks. I will miss my Dad!
Regina Delph
So sorry to hear of your father's passing. Best wishes for lots of safe and pleasant future travels.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
ThePressureIsOn

Vallboss2, my heart goes out to you. I lost my father almost four years ago. Hold on tight to the memories. Pigeon Forge will be there in the future.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
azlee56

That loss just hurts. Be kind to yourself and let yourself think of him with positive memories and laughs. Talking to him won't hurt either, I believe they aren't that far away. We just can't see them, but they can see us.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
davidjsimons

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I too recently lost my father and well know that feeling. Life is short, enjoy every sandwich.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
vallboss2

Thank you so much for the kind words! My husband and I are so grateful to be part of such a caring group of people. Your response to the loss of my Dad means a great deal to me and my family.

Regina & Vernon