Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
davidjsimons

I would probably not consider it either with a 3/4 SRW pickup. The backing question was about the sway controller added to the hitch. Thanks for all of the advice and varying opinions. As stated, being that I already have it, I will most likely continue to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #22
Javi

I generally stop and pull my friction sway control off before I back int a tight spot, if I don't need to make a hard angle with the trailer I don't worry about it.. The problem happens when you back at an angle that bottoms out the sway bar and bend it..

As for the SWR 3/4 ton vs a dually 1 ton... it isn't the truck thats the problem it is the hitch itself... a class IV just isn't designed for more than 1K tongue weight without the W/D... I used to be in the Ag business and used 1 ton trucks to haul equipment... and the air bags do help with the sag but the load is still on the hitch... the W/D spreads it out to the truck and trailer.. Travel trailers don't balance and tow like them manure trailers...
Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #23
davidjsimons

I appreciate the input and that answers my question on the sway controller. I've just never had sway issues except for when there wasn't enough tongue weight with a loads. I am guess that this concern about sway control has more to do with wind?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
I appreciate the input and that answers my question on the sway controller. I've just never had sway issues except for when there wasn't enough tongue weight with a loads. I am guess that this concern about sway control has more to do with wind?

Yes with a properly setup trailer the wind and the bow wave of passing trucks are the major cause of sway.

Good luck and safe travels...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post

David, Your experience with the manure spreader and sway is very much different than you'll have with a flat wall travel trailer. The manure spreader sits lower, has convaluted sides that deflect the wind away from the trailer. Plus, at the weights you say it hauls, there's not much wind below hurricane force that will affect it. Travel trailers, on the othe hand, are much lighter, have a very large flat side area that acts as a sail and catches the side wind far too easily. This large flat area can (and will) whip a 30+ ft travel trailer all over the road. Also, the bow wave of passing 18wheelers will push the trailerr away from the passing truck, but the vaccuum behind that same 18wheeler will pull it back toward it, so when you're passed by a large truck you'll get a "double whammy" which can be enough force to cause you to move half a lane or more. Add a wet, slippery road and you could be in for a disaster waiting to happen.

Sway control devices help to minimize that "pushme-pullyou" effect and can help to keep the flatwalled RV tracking in line behind your truck. Granted, you have a large, fairly stabile platform with a hitch that should tow your RV without the need for WD help, but sway is something you're going to fight with on the road. Every time you tow, you'll be subjected to being whipped around either by side winds or buffetted by passing trucks.

I think you've come to the conclusion that since you have a WD system already, it's not going to cost you anything to just go ahead and use it. I think you'll find that to be the right choice and I'm sure that others will agree.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
davidjsimons

I understand now, it is not the weight but the lack there of that is the problem with sway. I once had an enclosed car trailer that did not like passing or being passed by empty car carriers. A larger, triple axle enclosed trailer cured that problem. Again, more rubber on the ground and more weight was the fix I suppose.
I wish that I had seen the Andersen No Sway system before my dealer sold me the Reese.