Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
MadMax

RV Automatic Propane (LP) Changeover/Selector

I am still having difficulty with understanding the Automatic Propane Changeover. I can get it to work fine by having the curbside tank as the ‘Primary’ initially (this is the tank closest to the Changeover Selector). After proper setup of the other - streetside tank (here I following instructions [such as opening valves slowly, etc.] found elsewhere in the forum) and when the Primary tank runs out, the indicator switches from green to red and propane is now automatically being drawn from the streetside tank.
I am using my RV continuously in a chilly invironment so I monitor the indicator daily.
So now the curbside tank is empty and needs refilling. I switch the Changeover Selector to the streetside tank, remove and refill the curbside tank. Now comes the part I’m encountering difficulty with.
I have been shutting off the streetside tank, moving it over to curbside and installing the freshly refilled tank at streetside, move the Changeover Selector back to curbside tank. Then repeat the setup instructions for making the streetside tank available when curbside again runs out. Basically I am setting them back up the way they were initially.
This works fine BUT is it possible to set it up so that the streetside tank is ‘Primary’ and will switch over to curbside when it (streetside) runs out? This will save me constantly switching the tanks each time one runs out. Then I would only have to remove one tank, refill it and replace it.
This is probably quite confusing. Sorry. But anyone that has encountered similar problems will know what I am asking.
Help!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
f6bits

That seems like a lot of work. Here's my routine:
1) Both tanks are full. Selector is set to street side.
2) Street side tank runs out so I'm running off curb side.
3) Move selector to curb side and then take street side for refill.
4) Put street side back and let curb side continue as primary.

I *only* move the selector when that tank runs out. Then I just have to remember to refill the empty tank at the next opportunity.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

MadMax -
You are not the only one who has had trouble figuring out the auto propane changeover system.
This issue has been discussed at great lengths on the forum and there are quite a few posts which offer suggestions and solutions to those who have had difficulty with it.
If you do a forum search and type in "propane regulator", you will find numerous posts about the regulator and the changeover system.
Try doing this first - you should be able to find some answers to this problem that many have encountered.
I recall a couple of posts that have a step-by-step procedure to follow which eliminates the need for you to physically change tanks.
Let us know how you make out with the search.

PS One of the steps involves turning on the propane in the tank. This should be done very, very slowly and that is key to making the process work successfully.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
MadMax

Festus2,
Yes, that part about turning the tanks on very slowly seems to be key. When I referred to a setup under a previous post in the forum, that is what I was referring to. But I seem to be only able to make the switchover work if set up to go from curbside to streetside but not the other way. I tried opening the tanks very, very slowly but still have no luck. I will take a look at those other posts you mentioned.
MadMax.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
mhs4771

There should be an arrow on the little handle of the auto-switch over reg. You point that arrow to the side you want to make as the primary. There should be no need in swapping tanks from one side to the other. Just point the arrow to the full tank and remove the empty, refill and reinstall on the side it came from. When the opposite side runs empty, just flip that handle to point at the newly filled tank.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Bushman512000

auto change over

Just remember to turn the refilled gas bottle back on before the new primary runs out Or nothing will keep working as it should.Never had any trouble with the auto system or ever hear of any one haveing trouble.I do open the door and look at the bottle in use for the wet line in the early morning.That helps Me know when close to refill time.Them new tanks are to be turned on slow but that has never been a trouble spot to Me ..Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
jlarocca

I was on my first outing in my 2013 rig this past weekend and I ran out of gas in one of my bottles. Never could get it to switch over. Finally just moved the tank. Another thing to add to the list of things I'll have to have fixed...GRR
jlarocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Bushman512000

ran out of gas?

Are You sure they were full to start with.I think You were running out to fast or maybe a leak.Full tanks last a long time are they 30#s or 20#s some thing is strange.Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
There should be an arrow on the little handle of the auto-switch over reg. You point that arrow to the side you want to make as the primary. There should be no need in swapping tanks from one side to the other. Just point the arrow to the full tank and remove the empty, refill and reinstall on the side it came from. When the opposite side runs empty, just flip that handle to point at the newly filled tank.
I understand what you are saying and I have done that in the past. But what I am saying is I am unable to make the system switch "automatically" from streetside tank to curbside tank when the streetside runs out. I can make it work the other way with no problem.
I am full-time at present and in a climate that is just above or just below freezing, and with Murphy (and his Law) running rampant in my 5er, the propane tank always runs out during the (COLD) night; not a pleasant experience going outside at 3 AM to switch tanks.
MadMax.