Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
I’m 250 lbs which is right at the weight limit of my ladder. I send my 8 year old 50lb son up and down the ladder with the blower to blow off the leaves each trip prior to pulling in the slides. If I need to check or do maintenance on the roof I use an aluminum collapsible ladder and use the camper ladder to lean it against. Even my 50lb son puts a bend on the support bars that connects the ladder to the back panel. I can’t imagine what it would do if I stepped on it.

That said I still like having the ladder as my son loves climbing up and down it. He thinks he is a big deal that he gets to blow the leaves off each trip. Looks forward to it.
Enjoy these years. Soon he will be rolling his eyes and asking you for the truck keys!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:39 AM   #22
Bobbipen

We recently bought a Keystone 2022 Fuzion 379. You reallly need to do a thorough job of inspecting and questioning the salesperson before signing any papers for the new Fuzion you are looking at.
We bought ours the beginning of March. We had the walk through before bringing it home. The next morning upon trying to open all the slides, the bedroom slide was stuck and wouldn't open all the way. We drove the 150 mile trip back to dealer to be told it needs a new track. We had a trip planned and went with the broken slide and a barely usable bedroom.
On this trip of two weeks dry camping, we discovered the solar panels did not work, the toilet in the garage bathroom wasn't put together correctly and wouldn't hold water in the bowl. The fuel pump didn't work and we ran out of water twice! The idea of an instant hot water heater in a toy hauler in not a grand idea. My husband bought a water measuring device and found out our 106 gallon fresh water holding tank is only 86...same as the grey water tank. The shower wasn't chalked, the sliding bedroom and bathroom doors will easily fall out of the track and bend the cheap plastic door rungs. My husband called Fuzion head quarters, and was told the fresh water holding tank that is wrong comes under their disclaimer notice and we are stuck with the wrong sz tank. Apparently there is a 'recall' on the solar system because it's wired incorrectly.
After 4 weeks of waiting, our slide part in finally in. We have to drive the 150 miles to have that installed and hopefully get the solar system fixed. My husband notice a hydraulic lick coming from the under belly just this AM.
SOOOO, as I mentioned, be through on your inspection. GOOD LUCK. 👍
Bobbipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:15 AM   #23
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atileman View Post
...........My concern is that it doesn't have a ladder.........His reply was they didn't have any at time of build (02/24/2022) and the price reflected that...............He said they can order a ladder in and install it when it arrives at my cost. Am I crazy to walk away from this deal and see if I can find that model elsewhere over a ladder?..........
If you cannot find that model with a ladder elsewhere, buy the trailer from the dealer and pay the added cost for a ladder OR purchase a low-cost ladder that is long enough to get roof access. Besides, you will need a separate ladder anyway to access the underside of your awning. I have an Ohuhu 12.5 ft aluminum telescopic extension ladder I use for that purpose.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:48 AM   #24
jazzman4

My new 2022 Keystone Hideout had no ladder. Salesman said some do, some don't. It's reflected in the price. I see a need to get on the roof for inspection, maintenance and to install cover in the winter. I cannot see climbing an a-frame collapsible ladder and trying to get on the roof with that unless it reaches clear to the top of the roof. Even then, there is nothing to grab onto the roof to steady yourself while climbing on the roof or getting back down. I see the mounted ladder as a necessity with the curved handles on top of the roof. I will have one installed soon.
jazzman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:07 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman4 View Post
My new 2022 Keystone Hideout had no ladder. Salesman said some do, some don't. It's reflected in the price. I see a need to get on the roof for inspection, maintenance and to install cover in the winter. I cannot see climbing an a-frame collapsible ladder and trying to get on the roof with that unless it reaches clear to the top of the roof. Even then, there is nothing to grab onto the roof to steady yourself while climbing on the roof or getting back down. I see the mounted ladder as a necessity with the curved handles on top of the roof. I will have one installed soon.
Unless you weigh a buck fifty I'd skip the mounted ladder & get a telescopic, not the A frame, or some other type ladder that will extend above the roof. With this you can go up anywhere on the rv, much more sturdy, safer & no screws or other piercings in the rv to leak.
I had the "little giant" imitation ladder from Harbor Freight that could be configured in multiple positions, it was a bit heavy but so am I, it fit nicely under my toolbox, much better, safer & likely cheaper than the attached ladder.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

12.5' telescoping ladder will serve you well. There are some with hard plastic feet which may slip on asphalt or concrete but most have rubber feet that don't slip. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=collapsin..._ts-doa-p_3_17

I'd strongly recommend against a "mounted RV ladder" on any trailer with a wood frame. Leaks, vibration from travel and stress from climbing the ladder will loosen the attachment screws and once they start leaking, the wood trailer frame quickly becomes compromised.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:32 PM   #27
jazzman4

Thanks gentlemen for the suggestion of a telescopic ladder. I hadn't thought of that and it seems like a very good idea. I canceled my order for a mounted ladder including installation at Camping World and have ordered a 14' telescopic ladder from Amazon. Brilliant! Thanks again . .
jazzman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:01 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman4 View Post
Thanks gentlemen for the suggestion of a telescopic ladder. I hadn't thought of that and it seems like a very good idea. I canceled my order for a mounted ladder including installation at Camping World and have ordered a 14' telescopic ladder from Amazon. Brilliant! Thanks again . .
My 12.5' ladder is about 8 or 9 years old. The only "caution" I'd offer is to keep your fingers out of the space between the rungs when collapsing the ladder. Not too bad toward the top, but near the bottom few rungs, things can get "very painful very fast" if you don't pay attention to what you're doing....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My 12.5' ladder is about 8 or 9 years old. The only "caution" I'd offer is to keep your fingers out of the space between the rungs when collapsing the ladder. Not too bad toward the top, but near the bottom few rungs, things can get "very painful very fast" if you don't pay attention to what you're doing....
I will not bother asking how you know this! There is a sticker on my ladder at each rung telling that your fingers will be lopped off if you leave them between rungs when collapsing the ladder.

BTW: 12.5' is the right height for my camper, an old Cougar 5th wheel.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:36 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I will not bother asking how you know this! There is a sticker on my ladder at each rung telling that your fingers will be lopped off if you leave them between rungs when collapsing the ladder.

BTW: 12.5' is the right height for my camper, an old Cougar 5th wheel.
Yep, and even if fingers don't get "lopped off" they sure as hell turn blue, swell to 2 times their size and hurt like stink for a week or more..... Stickers???? I'll have to check to see what those yellow and black stickers say next time I drag the ladder out of the trailer passthrough.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
ladder