Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
johnnybadger

Curt A20 Slider Hitch Problem

I have an issue with my Curt A20 Slider Hitch. It has eight roller wheels that the hitch rolls on when you move it back and forth from maneuvering to towing position. After our last run, I found one of these roller wheels laying in the bed of my truck. After further examination, I can see that these wheels are connected to the hitch head with a six-inch bolt. I cannot find a loosened or broken bolt in the truck bed. Not sure what happened. I called Curt about this. It was their speculation that the bolt broke, most likely due to rough terrain (we have been surprised by rough roads and/or unavoidable pot holes).

I have ordered two replacements for these roller/bolt sets; one to fix my lost bolt, and one as a spare in case this ever happens again. I have two questions for you all:

First, have any of you ever had this happen to you? If so, any advice regarding repairs and/or avoiding having this happen again?

Two, in noodling this repair, I have a concern that if this happened because the bolt snapped, wouldn’t the tip of the bolt still be screwed into the hitch? If it is, how do I go about getting it out of there?

Thank you in advance for any coaching you can provide.
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:19 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I don’t/won’t own a slider so I’ve never had this happen, but if the bolt broke, yes the end will still be in the nut plate. Sometimes there is enough thread exposed on one side to use a vise grip to turn it. If not, an easy out/bolt extractor will work. If you have a welder, you could also use a smaller diameter bolt to tack to the existing bolt and remove it, just have to be careful not to weld the broken bolt to the hitch.
Not sure what Curt uses for bolts, but it sounds like they’re a weaker grade, I’d probably go get replacement grade 8 bolts from a hardware store and replace all of them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't have a sliding hitch, so never had that problem, but....

On to the repair.

If you're lucky, you may be able to get a set of vice grips on enough of the broken bolt to just unscrew it from the frame. But, if you have a broken bolt that you can't get a grip on to remove it, you'll need a "screw extraction set" (commonly called an EZ Out set). You start by turning the hitch upside down so you can get good access to the broken bolt, use the proper size drill bit to drill a pilot hole in the broken bolt (centered on the end of the bolt), then insert the correct size EZ Out (they thread into the hole reverse of the broken bolt thread direction) and turn the EZ Out to unscrew the broken bolt. It's much easier than the directions sound, but the key is to CAREFULLY start your pilot hole without "bunging up the bolt hole or threads"....

All that said, if you're lucky and the entire bolt did unscrew from the hitch frame, you won't need the EZ Out kit <this time> .....

I'd use Locktite BLUE (NOT RED) on the new bolt when you install it, especially if you find the bolt did vibrate out of the hole.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #4
johnnybadger

As Popeye used to say, “All’s well that ends well!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't have a sliding hitch, so never had that problem, but....

On to the repair.

If you're lucky, you may be able to get a set of vice grips on enough of the broken bolt to just unscrew it from the frame. But, if you have a broken bolt that you can't get a grip on to remove it, you'll need a "screw extraction set" (commonly called an EZ Out set). You start by turning the hitch upside down so you can get good access to the broken bolt, use the proper size drill bit to drill a pilot hole in the broken bolt (centered on the end of the bolt), then insert the correct size EZ Out (they thread into the hole reverse of the broken bolt thread direction) and turn the EZ Out to unscrew the broken bolt. It's much easier than the directions sound, but the key is to CAREFULLY start your pilot hole without "bunging up the bolt hole or threads"....

All that said, if you're lucky and the entire bolt did unscrew from the hitch frame, you won't need the EZ Out kit <this time> .....

I'd use Locktite BLUE (NOT RED) on the new bolt when you install it, especially if you find the bolt did vibrate out of the hole.....
Brent, fortunately the problem was not caused by a snapped bolt, so I avoided what, given my lack of mechanical skills, would have been the worst case scenario.

John, it was due to the screw somehow coming loose. The replacement roller and screw went in without a problem. I cleaned up all the slider rails and lubed them and should be all set for use in the future.

I also have added a step in my “Prepare to Travel” checklist to check these bolts and to clean and lightly lube the slider rails. On my next trip into town I will pick up some blue Loctite and use as you suggest.

Thanks again for both of your help.

John
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, slide