Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2022, 05:51 AM   #1
markcee

Lucky Guy!

This illustrates how getting distracted when behind the wheel (handlebars in this case) can have real repercussions! I don't ride, but think I would have gotten off the road instead of driving that rig in the wet and rain.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
rhagfo

I want to know how he missed the gate with flashing lights! I thinking he was trying to beat the bridge!
Can’t fix it!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I don't ride any more, but did a lot of it in my late teens and middle 20's. My dad rode also, as did my sister and her husband and a good neighbor. We'd often take off for 4 day week-ends or longer. Even traveled in Canada, all the way to Tenessee.

It was not uncommon to get caught in weather shown in the video above and there was really no choice but to keep pushing on. I think every serious rider has been caught in weather conditions that was far, far less than 90 degree sunshine weather. Ever tried riding 2 wheel in snow? That's a new challenge for the bold and crazy.

The difference is though, you can never forget you are on 2 wheels. You can never forget that automobile and truck drivers do not pay attention to you, or think of you a glorified bicycle and you have no place on the road. They cut you off, often don't even see you, or pay attention to you. Railroad tracks need to be crossed with much more care and in the right fashion, where a 4 wheeled vehicle can just zoom over them. The stopping distance is much shorter, and did I say, you are on 2 wheels, you can never forget that.

Obeying the traffic laws is absolutely vital on 2 wheel. Things like ignoring a rising draw bridge, or think you can beat it, or trying to beat a yellow light, or being a jerk and forcing your way into an interstate when you have the "yield" is just a serious accident (for you), just waiting to happen.

No, I don't think the guy in the video was not paying attention. Just the opposite. He was fully aware of what what happening. He was attempting to beat the draw..... and lost!

Some people call that "Karma", I call it ... serves him right. Maybe next time he'll not be so stupid and think he's the exception to the rules.

It's a good lesson for all of us ... we speed, fail to stop completely at stop signs, and run railroad crossings when light are flashing. We are no better. We just have 4 wheels under us and don't fall over when we slam the brakes.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of the comments were "golden"...

What a stupid thing to do! Loud bell is ringing, signal lights are red, and the crossing gates are down. I've crossed that bridge a million times and may live long enough to cross it a million more. You can't miss the warnings. And the bridge was wet as well. I hope the fool didn't get hurt.

Freedom, Freedom, Freedom.... some people think THEIR personal freedom far out weighs the need for stop signs, stop lights, no shoes no shirt no mask no service social policies!!! CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!

Helmet not strapped either, big squid

I started riding in 1960 on a Cushman Scooter and have pretty much always had a cycle of some kind. A Honda "Pujing" in Thailand, a BMW in Germany, a Bultaco in Turkey and now that I'm an "old fart" a Polaris Slingshot that doesn't require support at stoplights... In all my years of riding, I don't think I was ever "quite that stoopid". After all, he was dragging a trailer and already soaked to the bone......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I read he told police he was wiping rain from his shield which is obviously a lie; he was trying to beat the bridge. He ran through the flashing barricade bar and tore it off and STILL proceeded to try to beat it. He actually deserved a lot worse than what he got. I believe they just cited him for careless driving.

Now to assess the mental acuity of that individual would be a lost cause I suspect as I'm not aware of any test that measures negative IQ scores. Rain and fog, wet highway, crossing gates down with red warning lights activated, bridge raising, tears down the gate and proceeds....with his helmet unstrapped on a big bike with a trailer? What can you say? Rode bikes for many years, on and off road, and you have to know what it is you have, what to do and what you are doing or you don't need to be on a bike. This guy falls into the latter category.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
jasin1

Wonder if he was trying to avoid having to stop in the rain pulling a trailer. Would that trailer even have brakes? I imagine the trailer inertia just pushes the motorcycle all over the road and it takes a while to slow down..especially if the trailer was loaded heavy. He likely had a few close calls before this stunt.

He was probably prepared for stoplights and stop signs but a randomly dropped drawbridge gate probably blew his mind….lol
Old 03-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Stupidity, pure and simple in my opinion. Idiots get killed every year trying to beat out draw bridges, railroad crossings, and red lights. When they kill themselves I view it as "Social Darwanism" and when they take someone else with them a "tragic loss".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:45 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Motorcycle trailers typically don't have brakes. If he started a skid, the trailer pushed him and down he went. I have been riding for 56 years and am still alive by the grace of God! When riding, situational awareness is critical as the highway is a combat zone and all the cagers will try and snuff you as they text, apply makeup, scream at the kiddos, etc.

The folks who design roads don't always put overhead bridges to hide under when it rains. We now drive a Goldwing trike conversion which is a bit safer for a geezer and especially in rain.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
notanlines

I pretty much agree with most of what was said so far. I'm not so sure that he deserved more than what he got. A wrecked bike, plenty of tickets, a bruised head and helmet, and a trip that has come to an end. Plenty of punishment.
When traveling we do tow a trailer and no, no brakes. I've never seen one with brakes but they probably exist. We have brakes on all three wheels and I can tell you that in acceleration and braking we don't know the difference. But when traveling in the rain we are very, very careful with the riding and the stopping.
As the saying goes: There are old bikers, there are bold bikers, but very few old, bold bikers.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I pretty much agree with most of what was said so far. I'm not so sure that he deserved more than what he got. A wrecked bike, plenty of tickets, a bruised head and helmet, and a trip that has come to an end. Plenty of punishment.
When traveling we do tow a trailer and no, no brakes. I've never seen one with brakes but they probably exist. We have brakes on all three wheels and I can tell you that in acceleration and braking we don't know the difference. But when traveling in the rain we are very, very careful with the riding and the stopping.
As the saying goes: There are old bikers, there are bold bikers, but very few old, bold bikers.

Jim if referencing my post about "deserved a lot worse than what he got"....he did. The listed items you reference don't amount to much. He should have lost that bike and trailer, either over the edge of that bridge or by forfeiture. All he had was cosmetic damage to the bike and really nothing to him except embarrassment. Should have been MUCH worse for him; not saying he should have died etc. but he should have lost his ability to be on a bike as he obviously had/has no clue what he is doing (loss including his motorcycle endorsement).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:48 PM   #11
Ellen

Can’t fix stupid…
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote