Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
jtodd

2010 rb passport

I use a Ram 1500 Hemi. 4 wheel drive 3.21 rear end. I tow the 2010 at around 8000Lb? ish. I have an Equalizer hitch.

My question as a new tower is this: at around 63-65 MPH the trailer feels like it floats. Of course I slow down but I need to figure this out in case I need to pass or just run at 65. Any experience on this? I am considering lowering the front end of the trailer a bit to reduce lift??? Thanks folks. I am just learning!

2210 RB keystone passport
jtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
jasin1

I’m sure someone has a better answer but I think my friend you found “the edge”…or at least a taste of it

..I’d slow down

From one of my favorite authors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAD5F3DB-47F7-4356-9607-076D5357C6C1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	38462  
Old 02-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #3
jtodd

thanks

Yes, I do believe this would work. I am still hoping for suggestions for lowering front end to reduce the floating feeling. Basically I am asking if this is a "thing" that others experience or if this is just "me" and I need to buck up. This is not a giant deal to me but I do like to solve problems where I can. Thanks.

BTW thanks Jasin
Old 02-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I agree with the edgge theroy. TAt 31' that's a lot of wind resistance behind a 1/2 ton truck. Not sure how to percieve "lift" caused by airflow in a trailer. Do you have LT tires on the truck or passanger tires? Have you weighed your rig? Having a trailer loaded with insufficiant tongue weight can cause sway.

Start with a trip to a CAT scales to figure out where you are with tongue weights and axle weights. By recording the weight 3 times you can get all the info you need. Instructions are on their website at catscale.com along with a good app that makes the experience easy. Check all tire pressures and depending on the scale results you may need to redistribute some weight and adjust your WDH. Travel trailer tongue weight should be between 10%-15% of total trailer weight.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #5
markcee

You mentioned the trailer is 'around 8000 lb ish'....GVWR on any Passport 2210RB I can find is 7000. If that is the right trailer I'm looking at and your weight estimate is accurate, you are really overloaded.

As mentioned, how confident are you that the Equal-i-zer is setup properly? Is the front end of the truck riding high? Is your truck stock height or lifted or leveled?

I was towing 8300 lbs with a 1/2 ton and also had that floaty feeling from time to time. I was confident the hitch was set up properly, I added LT tires and Bilstein shocks as well. Still felt it. Problem was ultimately resolved with an F350....
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
jtodd

towing

Thanks to all. I will weigh and then make adjustments as needed. I can't afford a larger TV at this point so I will have to work it out. It can be exciting on the "edge".
Old 02-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd View Post
Thanks to all. I will weigh and then make adjustments as needed. I can't afford a larger TV at this point so I will have to work it out. It can be exciting on the "edge".
It could very costly as well as exciting if, God forbid, you have an accident & found to be "over the edge" with weights.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #8
jtodd

towing cautions

Thanks travelin texans. My humor is not real clear on posts so I will clarify. I will certainly be cautious and I thank you for your note and concern. I have actually learned a lot on this site. I also appreciate people such as yourself sharing your experience and knowledge, and support.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #9
jtodd

Thanks. I actually messed up on the numbers. The 8300 was my max tow capacity for the Ram. The trailer is much less. I do still need to weigh it and balance as needed. Sorry for my confusion and thanks again for responding
Old 02-23-2022, 05:30 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd View Post
Thanks. I actually messed up on the numbers. The 8300 was my max tow capacity for the Ram. The trailer is much less. I do still need to weigh it and balance as needed. Sorry for my confusion and thanks again for responding
A vehicle "max tow capacity" is not a constant. The GCWR and the GVWR are much more important and they don't change or vary based on other factors...

As an example, if the GCWR is 14000 pounds and the truck GVWR is 7200 pounds, then if the truck is "fully loaded for travel and weighs 7100 pounds, then the maximum trailer you could tow is 6900 pounds, regardless of the "max tow rating"... When you "top out at any of the ratings, the other ratings no longer apply. In this example, when you hit the GCWR, you can't keep "adding trailer weight" up to the "max trailer rating"... So in this example, when you reach 6900 pounds of trailer, it's time to take off a glass slipper, get in your pumpkin coach and wait for Prince Charming to bring you a pass.... (storybook fantasy is all that'll get you "rated for a heavier trailer"...

So, relying on a 8300 pound max trailer rating and only having a 8000 pound trailer may well still put you well over your GCWR or your GWVR, either of which overloads your rig, potentially long before you reach a "Max Trailer Rating" which is the same thing as a "Max Tow Capacity"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #11
jtodd

Excellent. You are moving me in the direction I need to go. I will do these calculations with what you have mentioned in mind. I have already been in the storybook area with a couple previous trailer purchases. It seems that some, only some, people selling the trailer might actually have a different "understanding" of length, weight, etc. I will do some math and thanks again.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #12
linux3

Which Passport RB? What length?
Our TT has a double closet in the rear and a pantry just behind the rear axles.
MY wife packs lots of clothes and we never go out to eat so they are full.
This puts a lot of weight behind the axles. My fresh water tank is in the front.
I find that everything pulls better if I put around 20 gal. of water in the fresh tank. It puts more weight on the nose of the TT and really helps.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #13
CampNBrew2

My current truck is the same with the same towing capacity. My trailer tows great (even passing at 75 sometimes ) but it's likely smaller than OPs.

The only time I notice the handling change (and even then only slightly) is when the fresh tank (near the front) is almost empty, and the grey and black tanks are full (behind the axles). It doesn't wag at all with my WDH and sway control it just feels different. I definitely watch my speed more closely when hauling in this condition.

We still have enough weight in the front storage to keep the hitch weight high enough and my truck bed usually has the motorcycles or at least firewood.

All this to say to the OP- Even though "it feels fine", I know I am overloaded in this truck. The payload on the sticker for this Ram is only 13XX lbs. Yours is likely the same.

My new 2500HD should cover it, if it ever arrives.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport