Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks John. I really hadn't thought of that as I just had him tell me what he thought the options were. When we get home I'll look that over and see what might be done. Our open property is on one end of the house and the power entry/breaker etc. is on the other but we might be able to do that. It would for sure make the natural gas line run shorter and miss 95% of the water lines.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:16 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Generac is located about 15' from the house on the west side. The master bedroom is on the east side of the house, makes it possible to sleep in our bedroom, but impossible to ignore the generator in the other two bedrooms which are 15' away from it.

If I had it to do over, the Generac would be located "out by the road" which is where the electric service line goes underground to the house. One neighbor installed his "behind his pole barn" and changed his "service entrance" from the house to the pole barn which now "feeds the house"... He can barely hear his generator from anywhere in the house because of the location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #23
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Weather app says it won't get over 30F today and everything is covered in ice already. Have heaters on in my shops.... brrrrrrrr Oh yeah, as far as using Rotella T 15w40, suggest you use full synthetic as it won't get thick as the temps drop near that 15F mark.
Yes, that's all I use...T6 Rotella synthetic in the truck, generator, lawn mower, B&S GoDevil motor, etc etc.
If you get serious about placing the generator, read the required clearances before signing the check. Generac had specific clearances all the way around.
I had my builder put up a brick & stone pony wall about 42" tall, hoping to reflect the sound away from the back porch. Ours is a good distance from the bedroom and is closest to the garage. It really isn't particularly noisy, just a steady hum.
I may have previously said it is 20k watts, but it's 22k watts. We have as many gas appliances as possible, and the gen carries the entire house with 2 central A/C units.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:39 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
No more than I run mine I use the "straight fuel" from any number of places with no ethanol. At $20 gallon not cheap but doesn't present all the problems of fuel with ethanol.
If you are buying it in one gallon cans you are really paying a premium. I am sorry $20 a gallon for non ethanol gas in west Texas is crazy! I can take a 5 gallon Jerry can 20 miles down the road and get it pumped for $4.79 a gallon!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:20 AM   #25
MCBadgett

While on a motorcycle trip a couple of years ago, when we got out of Texas, ethanol free gas was everywhere. In Texas, it's very hard to find. Some kind of regulations I guess.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
If you are buying it in one gallon cans you are really paying a premium. I am sorry $20 a gallon for non ethanol gas in west Texas is crazy! I can take a 5 gallon Jerry can 20 miles down the road and get it pumped for $4.79 a gallon!

No ethanol free anywhere in sight where I live unless I drive 70+ miles so I don't mind the 1 gal. cans. Now here in FL? Ethanol free pump at the store at the end of the road....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #27
gearhead

If I understand it correctly, no one can sell non-ethanol gas in a EPA (Federal) Non Attainment Zone. Ethanol is supposed to help the combustion be more complete and create less pollution.
I can't buy non-ethanol in Harris County (Houston) or in most counties that adjoin it because of existing pollution. However, it is sold in joining Galveston County and Waller County. I don't understand why considering the big refineries in Texas City, Galveston County. It can also be bought in Port Arthur, Jefferson County, home to many refineries.
I can buy it in quart and gallon cans locally for presumably off highway use.
I don't understand it either.
I've got a couple of places to buy it across the river in Louisiana when I go that way.
Here is a web site that has locations in each state:
https://www.pure-gas.org/
Old 02-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
If I understand it correctly, no one can sell non-ethanol gas in a EPA (Federal) Non Attainment Zone. Ethanol is supposed to help the combustion be more complete and create less pollution.
I can't buy non-ethanol in Harris County (Houston) or in most counties that adjoin it because of existing pollution. However, it is sold in joining Galveston County and Waller County. I don't understand why considering the big refineries in Texas City, Galveston County. It can also be bought in Port Arthur, Jefferson County, home to many refineries.
I can buy it in quart and gallon cans locally for presumably off highway use.
I don't understand it either.
I've got a couple of places to buy it across the river in Louisiana when I go that way.
Here is a web site that has locations in each state:
https://www.pure-gas.org/
I have to disagree that ethanol has any benefits in combustion whatsoever! If it did the fuel mileage would be increased, but typically 10% ethanol mix will result in about a 10% decrease in fuel mileage over 100% gasoline. It's detrimental to small engines that may sit idle for periods of time, it doesn't store well & unless the vehicle is rated to use it it will harm fuel lines.
The ethanol blend gasoline is a subsidy to farmers providing a market for their corn & a lame attempt to lessen dependence on fossil fuels by folks that had no clue about an ICE.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:09 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I have to disagree that ethanol has any benefits in combustion whatsoever! If it did the fuel mileage would be increased, but typically 10% ethanol mix will result in about a 10% decrease in fuel mileage over 100% gasoline. It's detrimental to small engines that may sit idle for periods of time, it doesn't store well & unless the vehicle is rated to use it it will harm fuel lines.
The ethanol blend gasoline is a subsidy to farmers providing a market for their corn & a lame attempt to lessen dependence on fossil fuels by folks that had no clue about an ICE.
I believe Danny is spot on. The corn oil in the gas was an attempt to lessen US dependence on foreign oil. You can add 10 percent without substantially affecting performance in a regular motorcycle engine or car engine. Now you add 15 percent like they do in San Antonio at some stations and it can only be burned in cars rated for that stuff. My 2013 F150 was rated for Flex Fuel (I think it is called) and the dealer warned that while it is cheaper, gas mile and engine life would suffer and to not use it. While corn growers make money on selling their produce to gas companies, corn feeding suffers and there is additional cost for beef. Texas applied to the Fed a few years ago to stop using the ethanol gas because it was hurting beef producers but was rejected.

Ethanol is a bane to boat owners with fiberglass gas tanks and a few motorcycles (more exotic types). The stuff rots fiberglass. It draws water moisture and the water is actually heavier than the ethanol gas and it sits on the bottom of gas tanks. It causes the gas to crud up if it sits and thus I make my living rebuilding carburetors when an owner pops a float bowl and has a brown glop in there. Great stuff that ethanol. Use of Stabil reduces this issue if you store gas for your generator.

If I put in a generac (if if if... money) it would be away from the house and the transfer switch would be by my pole with my meter as that is where the breakers are for my well pump and booster pump and could tie into the main breaker serving the house. It is far enough away that noise isn't much of an issue. I use my current Wen inverter generator out in a car port with both ends open and sides closed on a level platform and connect to the house via an outside power outlet I have to pull the plug to when I run the house. My transfer switch is inside adjacent to my main breaker box.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #30
gearhead

I'll just repeat what I've read. Ethanol is used to oxygenate gasoline, which is supposed to produce more complete combustion, thus reducing pollution. It has less energy per gallon than gasoline but it has a higher octane.
It attracts water and forms the junk in tanks and carbs.
A couple years ago the talk on boat and fishing forums was that isobutanol was going to be added to gasoline instead of ethanol. It doesn't have the issues that ethanol has. Gulf Oil Co was supposed to market it. I haven't heard anymore about it though.
For more info: gevo.com
Old 02-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #31
snoobler

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Benefits aren't limited to mpg.

10% less economy for 10% less gas due to addition of ethyl alcohol? This could only be true if ethyl alcohol had zero energy content, and that's not true. E10 has 2% less total energy content than E0, and controlled efficiency tests demonstrate the same 2% decline in mpg.

Quote:
I'll just repeat what I've read. Ethanol is used to oxygenate gasoline, which is supposed to produce more complete combustion, thus reducing pollution. It has less energy per gallon than gasoline but it has a higher octane.
It attracts water and forms the junk in tanks and carbs.
^This. Ethyl alcohol is an exact and comparatively simple molecule compared to the complex and varied hydrocarbons comprising gasoline ranging from C4 to C12 based molecules. The more complex the hydrocarbon, the more difficult it is to achieve "perfect" combustion resulting in CO2 and H2O. Ethyl alchol burns very cleanly.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #32
gearhead

Ethanol drinks pretty good too. My first job in the chemical plant was at the EA unit. I was the gauger and was responsible for watching the levels on the EA tanks. It took awhile to understand why I had so many visitors on weekends and off hours. The IRS "Revenuer" worked 9-5 M-F only. Most guys knew which tanks had the good stuff and would loosen the packing on a valve or pipe fitting and get their sample. The tanks were enclosed with 12ft tall fence and all the valves were car sealed. But, if you got the wrong tank it could be fatal.
This wasn't corn alcohol. It was made with syn gas (hydrogen,etc) that was run through a reactor and then separated. It was minimum 99%, or 199 proof. A couple of good snorts would set you free. It was our most popular mixer in the plant during the holidays.
After being processed at the EA unit it was sent to the denaturing plant where old Buck made it undrinkable. Dang you Buck. LOL
Old 02-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #33
trucker LOU

Hey Gearhead, can you send me a PM with your email address. I have a picture i want to send you.----Lou----

2010 Springdale 242FWRL
2019 Ford F 250xl PSD
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:44 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Ethanol drinks pretty good too. My first job in the chemical plant was at the EA unit. I was the gauger and was responsible for watching the levels on the EA tanks. It took awhile to understand why I had so many visitors on weekends and off hours. The IRS "Revenuer" worked 9-5 M-F only. Most guys knew which tanks had the good stuff and would loosen the packing on a valve or pipe fitting and get their sample. The tanks were enclosed with 12ft tall fence and all the valves were car sealed. But, if you got the wrong tank it could be fatal.
This wasn't corn alcohol. It was made with syn gas (hydrogen,etc) that was run through a reactor and then separated. It was minimum 99%, or 199 proof. A couple of good snorts would set you free. It was our most popular mixer in the plant during the holidays.
After being processed at the EA unit it was sent to the denaturing plant where old Buck made it undrinkable. Dang you Buck. LOL
If it isn't "cut" drinking anything with high of an alcohol content can easily render you blind or kill you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #35
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If it isn't "cut" drinking anything with high of an alcohol content can easily render you blind or kill you.
Oh yeah. I never saw anyone drink it straight. Usually with orange juice. The Process Operators frequently had lab beakers with what looked like KoolAid on their desks.
Several problem drinkers came out of that unit. One was a long time friend and ended up working for me. A fine man after he gave up drinking.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #36
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
Hey Gearhead, can you send me a PM with your email address. I have a picture i want to send you.----Lou----
you got it