Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2022, 04:01 AM   #21
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you have not yet "smoked baked potatoes", give them a try. Just clean the potatoes, put a little olive oil or butter on the skins and put them on the grill. Smoke them until tender and ready to eat... Unlike eggs, they WILL have that sweet aroma and smoked flavor...

Some smile at doing this with yams or sweet potatoes, some frown, saying the flavor is too "complex" (whatever that is supposed to mean). To me, the cinnamon kills the "complexity" anyway ROFL
I'm not refined enough to know what constitutes "complex flavors."
I'm still at the I like it or don't like it stage...lol.
I tinkered with making homemade wine for a few years now. I often laugh
when reading a wine connoisseur's review of a wine. I never notice a 'hint of almond smokiness follow by an aromatic hint of sweet cherry with a glazing of vanilla truffle."
To me, a wine either tastes good or it doesn't. And how it pares with some summer bologna and horseradish cheese is all this simple man needs to know.
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:49 AM   #22
notanlines

I believe 'complex flavors' can be experienced by eating souse in the dark and writing down all the parts that might be included....
https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ins...ig-snout-jelly
Danny, can this be made on your smoker?

On edit: When I read this I thought it was out of The Beverly Hillbillies!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:16 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe 'complex flavors' can be experienced by eating souse in the dark and writing down all the parts that might be included....
Pig snout jelly ???

Put in pig SNOUTS, cook them until they jellify and out comes "pig SNOUT" just without the U .... Hmmm, you can have mine. Trust me when I say that it'll still be in the pot, unsampled and untasted.....

We eat some "strange things" in the swamps of Louisiana, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.... Jelly from pig snouts ?? That's just a bit too far...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #24
Texas Steve

Quote:

I like the part about skimming the foam and random gunk out of the boiling pig snout water!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Yee Haw! Pig Snout Jelly!! Now that there will get your taste buds squirtin. Just looking at that pic of those cute little snouts all lined up in the pot...some descriptors suddenly come to mind; cute? complex? Larapin? Ummm, not really. Boiling/pressuring them to make some sort of "jelly"? I'll pass. Now putting them on the smoker? That might be a way to make those cute little things palatable. Sort of reminds me...

Back home we have a very large Mexican population that eats traditional Mexican fare. You can find all kinds of "pig parts" like whole pig heads, tripe, livers, raw feet, etc. Before we left I was perusing the meat counter as I usually do and came across a big sack of "something". Upon further inspection, and reading the fine print, found they were pig's ears - maybe 5lbs. or so. Maybe you could use them in the above recipe or smoke them...hopefully someone will try it and let us know. In the "old days" I would probably have tried them both, sort of like sitting around eating pickled pigs feet with crackers - seemed pretty good at the time. Of course that was after about a 12 pack regaling with friends. Since I don't indulge myself like that any longer the lure of the potential "complex" flavors of those kinds of things has left me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

If you eat processed meats, i.e. hot dogs, sausage, deli meats, etc. then you've most likely consumed much worse.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you eat processed meats, i.e. hot dogs, sausage, deli meats, etc. then you've most likely consumed much worse.
Oh yes !!! Pig snout jelly is probably that "gelatinous stuff" that I scrape off the "square piece of mystery meat" that comes out of a SPAM can... So, not only is it found hidden in most "processed meats" but is "out there in plain sight" in some others....

A question "for the masses":

When you put a pound of hamburger in the bottom of the refrigerator, a week later, it's dark, ugly brown clump, sitting in a pool of dark red liquid under it...

Put a pound of hot dog weiners in the bottom of the refrigerator, a week later, they look just like they did the first day... Bleached white, dyed pink, packaged with enough preservatives that they could make even a 40 year old Twinkie look stale LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Oh yes !!! Pig snout jelly is probably that "gelatinous stuff" that I scrape off the "square piece of mystery meat" that comes out of a SPAM can... So, not only is it found hidden in most "processed meats" but is "out there in plain sight" in some others....

A question "for the masses":

When you put a pound of hamburger in the bottom of the refrigerator, a week later, it's dark, ugly brown clump, sitting in a pool of dark red liquid under it...

Put a pound of hot dog weiners in the bottom of the refrigerator, a week later, they look just like they did the first day... Bleached white, dyed pink, packaged with enough preservatives that they could make even a 40 year old Twinkie look stale LOL

Hmmm, I thought that was "aged" beef, have I been messing up?
Old 02-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Hmmm, I thought that was "aged" beef, have I been messing up?
Steak, roast, chops, yeah, they age and get better (or we accept the taste as better).. Ground beef mixed with "lardy fat", well, as it ages, it takes on a much different look, texture and taste than "fine aged steaks"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2022, 03:33 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
The Davy Crockett looks interesting. I like the bluetooth idea as long as you can still use it without it. I had a full size smoker once that you couldn't use without the bluetooth connection.

Does anyone have the AS350 smoker? I was wondering if the features it has is worth the extra $150 over the AS300?

Does anyone else have recommendations and why? I am really getting into this now.

I don't think I will be smoking any eggs. Stuffed sausage is my favorite though.

I remembered this post as I was looking at a review of a GMG smoker. The person making the video comments on his experience with a previous smoker. Look at his comments directly under the video - it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about the AS300/350 smokers (along with the videos/reviews I've watched).