Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #1
paulinri

Single Axle Springdale Tires

I have a Springdale 1750 that I bought in August. We've had two good trips within 45 miles from home. We hope to travel further (200-300 miles) when the weather gets warmer. I love my trailer and it tows very well, even in wind. I hear horror stories about tires blowing at 60 mph. Can I increase my safety margin by buying better tires... hopefully bomb-proof? Should I just limit my speed lower?

My TV is a 2020 Ford Ranger XT with tow package, using a Fastway E2 LD hitch. Thanks for any suggestions.
paulinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:11 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinri View Post
I have a Springdale 1750 that I bought in August. We've had two good trips within 45 miles from home. We hope to travel further (200-300 miles) when the weather gets warmer. I love my trailer and it tows very well, even in wind. I hear horror stories about tires blowing at 60 mph. Can I increase my safety margin by buying better tires... hopefully bomb-proof? Should I just limit my speed lower?

My TV is a 2020 Ford Ranger XT with tow package, using a Fastway E2 LD hitch. Thanks for any suggestions.
If you look back through the threads on the “ tires tires tires “ section of the forum you will find a lot of info to help you. There are also a few tire industry guys on here that will tell you the “official” stance on tire replacements as far as the government is concerned.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Since everyone on this forum has tires on their RV, this makes them experts and you will hear a zillion different opinions. If you look at the threads that have been posted, many will go in the same direction and it would be scary to have a blow out with a single axle camper. Read through and make up your own mind. Not sure what tires you have now makes this a bit of a crap shoot to give any specifics.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
rjrelander

Never mentioned what year your trailer is or what tires came with it. You just bought it so I assume it's at least a 2020 model. 2017 and earlier models came with bare minimum ST205/75R14 LRD tires. The newer 1750s should be coming from the factory with ST215/75R14 LRD tires to meet the new extra reserve capacity rules. We switched out the original tires (Sterling Sport ST) with Goodyear Endurance ST215/75R14 LRD tires and put two seasons on them so far. Several 1000+ mile trips.

Tires typically lose about 5% to 10% capacity per year with aging so we are likely back down to minimal capacity of the original ST205 tires. Was planning to replace again this year but will definitely swap them out before 2022 season. Really don't want to be blowing tires on a single axis trailer. Although with a 1750, you can probably have the DW hold the trailer up while you change the tire.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
MarkEHansen

There are a couple things to consider. One is whether your tires are rated to carry the load. You don't say what year your trailer is, so it's hard to know what tires you have on it now.

Second is a tire pressure monitor system (TPMS). I feel a good TPMS is a necessary part of any trailer. It can warn you before your tires get into a situation where they would suffer a blow out.

To make these type of questions easier on those trying to help, please put your truck/trailer details in your signature - so they are available on every post.

Tags
axle, springdale, tires