Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Nomad2009

Camp,

I do have the HD trailering package.

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Nomad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
Nomad2009

Paddler,

I was told that the tow haul mode is to be used in downgrade situation only. I think the manual said that as well. Are you saying use the tow haul on upgrades as well? Also are you saying I should be in Tow/Haul the whole time?

TX

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Nomad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Nomad,
GM recommends using the Tow Haul mode whenever you are towing 70% of your max towing capacity or when you encounter winds or terran that would cause the engine/transmission to strain.

Tow Haul mode changes the transmission shift points to prevent lugging the engine and applies extra pressure to the pressure plates to prevent transmission slippage which reduces heat build up in the transmission.

You will also need a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. When I had bumper pull trailers, I used the Equal-i-zer brand hitch and was very pleased with the sway control it provided. Other members are quite happy with the Reese Dual Cam. Both will cost a bit more than your current hitch but they can help remove some of the white knuckle driving you have already experienced.

Good luck, be safe and enjoy your new rig
X2

And you should most assuredly use Tow/Haul all the time; up hill, down hill and on the level. When you hook up your trailer, get in the vehicle and put it in "D"; hit the Tow/Haul button and don't turn it off until you unhitch; your engine and transmission will thank you later, years later.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
bennydog

Trip report first long trip with the new Dodge. Woodinville WA to Klamath Falls OR for the masters regional rowing competition. (Not me but my wife 3 gold 2 silver awesome racing) then on to Lassen Volcanic National Park then home up I-5. What trailer? I am happy to report that having more truck then you need is way more relaxing than not. Used to be that I would limit our days with the RAM 1500 to 350 miles, now I could drive all day....today we did 500 miles and only stopped for fuel once, average for the trip was 12 MPG and around here diesel is the same or less than regular. In the 1500 5.7 hemi it would have been 9MBG using premium.

Go Big or go slow....sorry

B

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #25
Vidorcom

I would upgrade truck or downgrade trailer. My truck, even though diesel it is a 3/4 ton diesel....Has plenty of towing power but looking to upgrade to a dually... I can feel the trailer behind me, I'm looking for stability while towing. I am also looking at a kodiak.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidorcom View Post
I would upgrade truck or downgrade trailer. My truck, even though diesel it is a 3/4 ton diesel....Has plenty of towing power but looking to upgrade to a dually... I can feel the trailer behind me, I'm looking for stability while towing. I am also looking at a kodiak.
Never, Never downgrade the trailer!
Upgrade the TV, diesel is now cheaper than reg. gas in the NW!
I know diesel is not for everyone, but the harder they work the better they feel and run! They don't feel like they are going to puke their guts out pulling a hard hill!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote