Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Deeds

City water filling tank

Hey all I have a 2015 laredo bumper pull 26ft, my issue is that I've had the water selector changed twice now and both times getting it home or to campgrounds the darn camper is filling the holding tank and then leaking the first night out of the vent, I'm not using the pump when it's on city selection, but 2 different rv repair facilities have supposedly fixed my issue but nothing has changed! Can anyone help me this is getting very old and embarrassing when people keep seeing my camper leaking tons of water out of the side! I dont feel two different selector valves would both be put in broken! I've also tried it reversed for tank fill and yes still fills the tank
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It may not be the selector valve, it very well may be the back flow preventer in the water pump.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Deeds

Thanks chuckster, is there any way I can tell for sure what it's doing? I feel lost looking at the maze of tubing under the stairs next to the bed...
Old 06-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

LOTS of rags. Remove the intake side of the water pump. Hook up the city water. Have someone turn it on but be ready to turn it off. Set the selector valve to “city water”, if water flows out the “IN” side the pump has failed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Deeds

Alright I will give it a shot! Thank you for your quick response! I've been dealing with this for too long! I have gotten to the point of filling the tank as needed and leaving the water source off! Like I said 2 repair facilities who said they checked the whole system assured me it was the valve! I'm done wasting the money so this helps a bunch thank you!
Old 06-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Your mire than welcome. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
skids

Before you do all of that, try this to flush the check valve in the pump (easy).

1. Disconnect city water
2. Turn pump off
3. Open all faucets and have someone strp on toilet flusher
4. Turn on the pump

With reduced flow resistance, the pump should be at maximum flow. This worked for me. After the pump flows for several minutes (maybe 5?) shut all of the faucets and valves. If the pump no longer cycles on and off, you have likely successfully flushed the check valve.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
skids

PS, check your area where the pump is located because the overflow hose (corrugated big one) may have a clamp that isnt water tight and you have been moving water out of the overflow!
Old 06-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
Deeds

Skids, thank you! I'm heading out first thing tomorrow. Unfortunately I got stuck at work about 8 hours longer than planned so I am going to have to try it at the site... but easy is good and i appreciate your reply! I appreciate everyones! I'll let you know what I find, this forum is awesome and thank you guys for not making others feel stupid when they dont know!

Tags
tank, water