Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScheirer View Post
We just bought a Raptor 3712 and I noticed just on bringing it home and on some small hills my truck is struggling, temps going way up. We used to pull a 25' with no problem but now I am worried about the extra strain on the truck. Anyone else pulling such a monster with a Chevy 2500HD? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
That is a big step in size and weight.

You are correct you need a stronger truck and a Diesel engine. I am a Cummins man myself. I would say you are safe with any newer Dodge/Cummins combination.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
LittleJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhopkins52 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I thought I would pass along my experience with my 2008 1/2 ton Silverado with the Max towing package. It has the 6.0 gas motor pulling a Cougar 325 SRX toyhauler; wt.9320 empty,and around 10,500 loaded. Just 250 over Chevy's recommended weight for a fifth wheel. We just returned from a cross country trip and encountered a lot of mountains including the Camp Verde moutain south of Flagstaff,AZ. The gas 6.0 performed very well with this trailer weight, but I would not want to tow anything heavier.
I tow the same trailer and it is right at the 12000lbs loaded with one bike in the back(scaled).My 3500 DRW handles it well and I could not imagine towing in a 30mph crosswind with a halfton. Every time I tow any distance it always seems to be in less than ideal conditions(to put it lightly) and reinforces the fact that it is well worth the inconveniences of DRW for the stability and stressfree bad weather pulling.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote