Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
Bingo 57

tire rotate ?

OK just wondering how many rotate your tires?

Bingo
Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
busterbrown

I'm not sure many do. It's not a requirement if suspension and axles are functioning properly.

With ST tires on most coaches, tires "age out" way before tread wears out. That's usually between 3-5 years of service life.

Trailer tires are a completely different animal than automotive tires.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Bingo 57

Tire Rotate

Yep that's how I'm treating my 5er, but the DW has a single axel of her own running LT's & thinks they should be.... My only thinkin is it would be a great time to CK the brakes.
Bingo
Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
Logan X

I use ST tires and I do not rotate them. I did some research a while back and I came to the conclusion that since the trailer tires are not directional, meaning they don’t turn, they don’t need to be rotated. Just my opinion and as stated above, they will age out before the tread wears out.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

As stated, tires will age out for most of us long before they wear out. I do rotate my ST tires, front to back on the same side every year when I repack the bearings and adjust the brakes.

Why??? That's a good question. My answer makes sense to me, but maybe not to anyone else. I consider that the tires are off the trailer, so why not rotate front to back??? It may not help, but it just might, so I do it. Considering that there "might" be some weight difference between the front/rear axle loading, the trailer "might" be nose high a slight bit, or it "might" be nose low a slight bit (placing more weight on either the front axle or the rear axle) so it seems to me that there isn't "equal weight" on each axle "all the time"... So, since they're off, and it doesn't hurt, I rotate them, more because there "MIGHT" be more weight on one axle than on the other one. If there is, then it will equal the stressors we don't see in tread wear. Things like overheating, sidewall flex, squirming on pavement when turning/backing and loading. Those things "might" show up in tread wear, then again, they "might not" show up.

For me, it doesn't hurt, might help and doesn't take a lick of effort over what I'm already doing.... Does it make sense to anyone else? I don't know, but it makes sense to me, and that's what matters on the Cougar I haul around the country. Maybe it does to you, maybe it doesn't, that's a decision you'll need to make for your trailer and your effort.

As a quick explanation of why I don't rotate "side to side"... I've always been told that radials "set a wear pattern" and shouldn't be rotated to run in the opposite direction, so I don't rotate my truck tires, car tires or trailer tires "side to side"... That may be an "old wife's tale" or it may be completely baseless, but I've always done it that way and at my age, I'm too old to change

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As stated, tires will age out for most of us long before they wear out. I do rotate my ST tires, front to back on the same side every year when I repack the bearings and adjust the brakes.

Why??? That's a good question. My answer makes sense to me, but maybe not to anyone else. I consider that the tires are off the trailer, so why not rotate front to back??? It may not help, but it just might, so I do it. Considering that there "might" be some weight difference between the front/rear axle loading, the trailer "might" be nose high a slight bit, or it "might" be nose low a slight bit (placing more weight on either the front axle or the rear axle) so it seems to me that there isn't "equal weight" on each axle "all the time"... So, since they're off, and it doesn't hurt, I rotate them, more because there "MIGHT" be more weight on one axle than on the other one. If there is, then it will equal the stressors we don't see in tread wear. Things like overheating, sidewall flex, squirming on pavement when turning/backing and loading. Those things "might" show up in tread wear, then again, they "might not" show up.

For me, it doesn't hurt, might help and doesn't take a lick of effort over what I'm already doing.... Does it make sense to anyone else? I don't know, but it makes sense to me, and that's what matters on the Cougar I haul around the country. Maybe it does to you, maybe it doesn't, that's a decision you'll need to make for your trailer and your effort.

As a quick explanation of why I don't rotate "side to side"... I've always been told that radials "set a wear pattern" and shouldn't be rotated to run in the opposite direction, so I don't rotate my truck tires, car tires or trailer tires "side to side"... That may be an "old wife's tale" or it may be completely baseless, but I've always done it that way and at my age, I'm too old to change

Whaaaat? To old to change?!! You gotta stay flexible. At our ages that is paramount. This morning DW told me I was going to have scrambled eggs with my bacon and toast vs fried.....I thought it was blasphemy, but.....I adapted and scarfed down the scrambled eggs. I'm thinking I'm trying to keep my mind and body "dancing like a butterfly" as I adapt to "new" things.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #7
Bingo 57

Thanks all for your feed-back ! It was just a pondering question I had.. Seeing as "shes" running LT's I'll probably swap side to side while I'm Ckin the brakes. Agan thanks to all !
Bingo