Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Camp I am

Day Night shades, up or down while parked?

Thinking if I leave my day / night shades down while the rig is parked for extended times while not in use between trips they will shade the interior from fadeing from the suns UV rays. But if I do leave them down then will the day / night shades fade? I do have tinted windows

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
allentx1

With tinted windows you should see minimal fading if at all. We leave the shades down in the hottest parts of the day since they add a layer of insulation to the single pane windows. We just recently had solar screens made for the larger windows on the 5'er. Made a massive difference in feel and will keep anything from fading. Now I am wishing I had them for all the windows.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Tim&Patty

Day Night shades, up or down while parked?

Camp I Am,
Last season we purchased a roll of silver foil insulation (with bubbles for me to pop when I'm bored) for the large back window and the bedroom windows on the slide. The foil on the windows next to the bed and a large window on the other side of the bed is held in place with velcro squares (tho we don't remove them). The rear window which faces west when stored always had issues raising the night shades, we had to stop and re fold about every 6" while raising. This spring the shade raised to the max without one re-fold, I was sure the shade was going to take another storage season, tinted or not that's a lot of heat and uv on a low end shade. We (RHDW) roll it up and store it behind the sofa when not in use. It was $20 for a 20'X4' roll. She'll cut more for the livingroom windows on our first outting, ya never know what site, or angles of the sun & when it gets above 90 around here we'll use them durning the day.

Works for us, cool campint

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
antiqfreq

We leave all our shades down when not camping and it is stored in our RV port at home.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
RdRmr

We also use the foil bubble insulation, works well here in So. Cal. during the summer. DW has cut them to fit each window. Slide them in and lower the shade. Happy Campin.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We had day/night shades in our Holiday Rambler. It was really nice to have the day part to difuse the glare on bright days and the night part was pretty much a given. Over the years, we left the night shades down to prevent sun fade to the interior of the trailer. When we sold it, there was a noticeable area of fading on the night shade. So, I'd think that if you leave them down, you'll notice some fade over the years, but, if you leave them up, you'll most likely notice fading on the sofa back, dinette cushions over the years. Either way, if the sun shines in, you'll probably get some lighter fabric where it hits. Either you'll lose your shades or the upholstery to the sun. Some people use an additional sheild (aluminum foil, bubble wrap, etc) but that's somewhat difficult to install and take down on a regular basis.

On "eager beaver" camper in the Airstream club went so far as to install the old "roll up/pull down window shades inside his lambricens. They were in front of the day/night shades and he left his "expensive shades up for storage and pulled down the room darkening shades to protect both his window coverings and upholstery. Just a thought if anyone is that concerned with protecting the shades as well as the upholstery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote