Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Willie & Bev

First long trip in our little camper

Bev and I left Newburgh, IN on 01/31/2018 looking for warmer weather. This is our first long trip pulling our small TT. It is a Hideout 177LHS, yes it is a very small unit but to us it is adequate. The last few years we have been spending some of our summers running around the country on our Honda Gold Wing motorcycle pulling a Bunkhouse popup tent camper. So the little 177LHS is quite a step up for us.

Our first stop was To visit Bev's grandson in San Antonio, TX, we spent three nights there and then moved on to Las Cruces, NM to sight see and do a little hiking. After that we headed towards Picacho Peak RV resort in Arizona.

We stayed in Picacho Peak for six weeks and it was a very nice experience. We met our first forum members there the Traveling Texans also known as Danny and Linda. They are a very nice couple and we enjoyed our time with them. Danny and Linda told us all about the area where to go sight seeing and good places to eat. The six weeks went by entirely too fast and we weren't ready to leave. We left this morning (03/27) headed to Pahrump, NV.

We have a wedding for my grandson to attend and then we will head to Colorado to visit family before we head back to southern Indiana. So far it's been a great trip and we are planning to do it again next year.

Willie & Bev
Willie & Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
travelin texans

Thank you Willie! We very much enjoyed the past 6 weeks & looking forward to your return next season. Safe travels & enjoy your summer!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s always nice when you can put a face to the name. Happy to,hear all is going good, may your trip continue to be filled with great memories!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:21 AM   #4
notanlines

Willie, of course the Travelin' Texans are nice people! You know, we don't allow any members here who aren't nice......well, a couple may have come and gone.
Glad you enjoyed your time on the road. In this world there are home-bodies and then the rest of us. This travelling the country is payback for all the overtime worked, all the time spent away from your family taking care of business, responding to all the adult-oriented responsibilities that takes most of our lives.
This is retirement......every day is Saturday! But let me warn you and Momma: It isn't financially smart to just stop and "look around" at a large RV dealer while on the road. I know about those things.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Tbos

Enjoy the rest of your trip. My Daughter lived in Pahrump for several years. I loved the area there.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
CrazyCain

We have a 177LHS also and it is really only "Little" when you are next to the big boys! Works for us...We have had ours going on 2 years and have had "zero" problems with it.

Our only meet with a Forum member is John and his dear DW , uhhhh, hummmmm, damn memory anyway.........from JRTJH, Michigan.. Great couple!!!

Enjoy your travels and trailer and drive safe...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:06 AM   #7
roadglide

Willie I had a timeout and pulled it with a Harley . I'm seeing your visiting las cruces. I'm 70 miles north on I 25 elephant butte nm our weather is the same as las cruces . There is a lot of snow birds here , leave me a message will visit . Our moose lounge is 10 a night camping power and water .
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
travelin texans

We stayed in Elephant Butte (Elephant Butte rv park) a couple years ago for a week, the lake was almost dried up, but interesting little town.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
RoscoeV

Willie, we plan on going to Las Cruces sometime over the next few months to spend a few days to check the place out. Las Cruces is on our list as one of the places to investigate for retirement. What were your thoughts of the city? What RV Park did you did you stay at.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
Willie, we plan on going to Las Cruces sometime over the next few months to spend a few days to check the place out. Las Cruces is on our list as one of the places to investigate for retirement. What were your thoughts of the city? What RV Park did you did you stay at.
I know this wasn't addressed to me but we have spent quite a bit of time in Cruces. What a person wants for retirement can vary hugely from person to person; just sent a person from the FL campground where we were through the area. She texted today and said she stayed "in that area" and was now in northern NM and loved the mountains there. Las Cruces is a nice place. Looks pretty neat coming over the Organ mountains. If you like it will be up to what you're looking for. If you like Mexican food do not miss La Posta; great mex food......try the chili Colorado if you get by there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Willie & Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
We stayed at the Hacienda RV park. Their Wi-Fi didn't work very well from our site but it was a nice park. i think we liked the city OK. We ate at the La Posta and the building has a lot of history and is very interesting. The town of Mesilla also has a lot of shops and history.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #12
Willie & Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Willie I had a timeout and pulled it with a Harley . I'm seeing your visiting las cruces. I'm 70 miles north on I 25 elephant butte nm our weather is the same as las cruces . There is a lot of snow birds here , leave me a message will visit . Our moose lounge is 10 a night camping power and water .
We plan on doing another trip next year. If we get to NM will give you a shout!
Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #13
Willie & Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Willie, of course the Travelin' Texans are nice people! You know, we don't allow any members here who aren't nice......well, a couple may have come and gone.
But let me warn you and Momma: It isn't financially smart to just stop and "look around" at a large RV dealer while on the road. I know about those things.
I know what you mean about looking around at RV dealers. Especially in our case because a bigger truck would be required.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:37 AM   #14
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know this wasn't addressed to me but we have spent quite a bit of time in Cruces. What a person wants for retirement can vary hugely from person to person; just sent a person from the FL campground where we were through the area. She texted today and said she stayed "in that area" and was now in northern NM and loved the mountains there. Las Cruces is a nice place. Looks pretty neat coming over the Organ mountains. If you like it will be up to what you're looking for. If you like Mexican food do not miss La Posta; great mex food......try the chili Colorado if you get by there.
Thanks Danny, I agree Las Cruces wouldn't be everyone's choice but in someway that makes it attractive. We will definitely give La Posta a try while we are there.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 03-30-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie & Bev View Post
We stayed at the Hacienda RV park. Their Wi-Fi didn't work very well from our site but it was a nice park. i think we liked the city OK. We ate at the La Posta and the building has a lot of history and is very interesting. The town of Mesilla also has a lot of shops and history.
Thanks Willie, appreciate your feedback. We hope to get there in May but may have to push it out a month or so.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #16
Dblhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie & Bev View Post
Bev and I left Newburgh, IN on 01/31/2018 looking for warmer weather. This is our first long trip pulling our small TT. It is a Hideout 177LHS, yes it is a very small unit but to us it is adequate. The last few years we have been spending some of our summers running around the country on our Honda Gold Wing motorcycle pulling a Bunkhouse popup tent camper. So the little 177LHS is quite a step up for us.

Our first stop was To visit Bev's grandson in San Antonio, TX, we spent three nights there and then moved on to Las Cruces, NM to sight see and do a little hiking. After that we headed towards Picacho Peak RV resort in Arizona.

We stayed in Picacho Peak for six weeks and it was a very nice experience. We met our first forum members there the Traveling Texans also known as Danny and Linda. They are a very nice couple and we enjoyed our time with them. Danny and Linda told us all about the area where to go sight seeing and good places to eat. The six weeks went by entirely too fast and we weren't ready to leave. We left this morning (03/27) headed to Pahrump, NV.

We have a wedding for my grandson to attend and then we will head to Colorado to visit family before we head back to southern Indiana. So far it's been a great trip and we are planning to do it again next year.

Willie & Bev
Willie & Bev,

We have a 177lhs now for a few months and are planning a long (Texas to Pennsylvania and back) trip next summer (4 week trip). So, I'm thinking that with just the DW and me in the TT the size will be ok. Of course we plan on getting outside as much as possible. Was that your experience?

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Dblhack is offline   Reply With Quote