Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
Ken / Claudia

Dry camping cold weather

I spend 9 days dry camping while elk hunting Eastern Or. 1st time with this trailer. Over all it worked Ok.
Elevation 4600 ft night temps 33f to 23f. Daytime 43f to around 35f. 3 men with all gear needed to do this hunt.
I tested the batteries before the trip which were new 4-2017 with. CCA 775 each. They were charged up and tested 13.4 with shore power and 12.4 without.
I have a yamaha 2000 genny.
Fresh tank was full, both gray tanks 2/3 full at end. Black was full on day 6.
I ran the genny all night each night with furnace set at 65F. Inside the trailer the furnace was loud compared to the genny noise outside. It was a low hum as it was ran fine. It needed oil added about half way through the trip.
We were away all day and the volts would show 12.0 down to 11.8 when returning with nothing left on during the day. I think 2- 6 volt batteries are my next purchase.
Traveled on gravel, dirt and mud roads while pulling the trailer about 30 miles each way. Got stuck on the way in as the trailer tires were in 2-3 inches of mud. 20 minutes later I got the vehicles backed up 100 yards onto a solid dirt roadway. Roads here do not follow the 6% grade rule. Really unknown how steep some are, but guess 3 times that much. Coming down the steep hills I had the freezer door open and spill it's containers on the floor. At times I was in low gear. No other problems with the trailer. I power washed the mud off the underside of the trailer at home and looked over the trailer and tires for cuts, scrapes etc. No problems seen. I drove in the 10 to 15 mph or slower to avoid damage to the tires or the trailer while on the dirt and mud parts.
I used 1 and 1/2 of the propane in 2 propane tanks during the trip. I used the water heater a few times, but mostly heated water on the stove for washing hands and dishes.
Partner got a elk, I helped my son more than me hunting and he missed a nice one. No complaints about the adventure or trailer.
Oh, the getting stuck part would have made a good photo, but I was to busy. After putting the truck into 4x4. It backed the the trailer OK. My main job was keeping the trailer on the road as the truck was sideways in the road the whole way. It was at a nearly level part of the road with a curve.
About 18 years ago we came upon a pickup with TT that had attempted the same road with the steep uphill grade while on snow and ice. It made it part way up the hill and slid backward only stopping after the TT smashed into a large tree.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a fun trip to me actually. Glad someone filled their tag and I learned a long time ago the "trip" and the "hunt", especially if you were helping your son, are worth far more than filling the tag. Glad you had fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Canonman

Used to hunt a lot and took my fair share of elk and deer. Now I hunt a little differently.
Nothing beats putting the sneak on some big game.
I call this first image "The Rocky Mountain Gentleman's Club"
The second is "Autumn Majesty"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8154.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	19333   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8231.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	19334  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This isn't a "great photo" because it was done "spur of the moment" with my "keep it in the truck" cheapie Fuji digital. Anyway, the first one was in the back yard and the second was about half a mile from my house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2488.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	19336   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2491.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	19337  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS