Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
SummitPond

Bearing Repacking Inconsistancy?

I have attempted a search around the forum regarding the following question and didn't run across anything.

What is the logic behind a 12 month/15,000 mile bearing repacking on a TT?

My TV doesn't suggest this maintenance item until 150,000 miles (it actually calls for replacing the bearings at this mileage; I didn't spot anything else related to the bearings for my 2WD).

Why the inconsistency?

What brings this to mind is I just had my TT bearings repacked; according to the mechanic they are in excellent shape and he also said I have about 80% of my brake linings left (I assume they are disk versus drum - I should have asked, but I don't think that quickly anymore!) and no scoring of the metal surface.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge on this topic.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
I have attempted a search around the forum regarding the following question and didn't run across anything.

What is the logic behind a 12 month/15,000 mile bearing repacking on a TT?

My TV doesn't suggest this maintenance item until 150,000 miles (it actually calls for replacing the bearings at this mileage; I didn't spot anything else related to the bearings for my 2WD).

Why the inconsistency?

What brings this to mind is I just had my TT bearings repacked; according to the mechanic they are in excellent shape and he also said I have about 80% of my brake linings left (I assume they are disk versus drum - I should have asked, but I don't think that quickly anymore!) and no scoring of the metal surface.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge on this topic.
Just a note... my Ford says repack front bearings at 60K...

As to the trailer... think of the side load on those little bitty bearings...
Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
66joej

My take on this is the fact that grease does not wear out but bearings sometimes do. Another reason for bearing repacks besides inspecting the bearings is to inspect brake linings. Not sure but I don't think your Bullet has disc brakes. JMHO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would say at least 98% of all trailers on the road are drum/shoes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

X 2 on the drum brakes. Size and quality of bearings may have something to do with the schedule but I think type of use and possibly long storage may shorten service times. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just a note... my Ford says repack front bearings at 60K...

As to the trailer... think of the side load on those little bitty bearings...
What Javi says. Who knows what research the axle manufacturer uses, if any. Since some engineering discoveries are the result of trial and error, I'll put it down as that. I guess there is a whole lot of CYA going on as well. If I were towing low miles, but regularly, I would go at least 2 years.
In the rotating equipment world, bearing life was expected about 8 years. But those bearings were run at mostly steady speeds with oil bath or oil mist.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
SummitPond

Update: I asked the service manager at the truck dealership why he thought there was a difference in maintenance schedule between the truck and the trailer bearings. He replied that the rear bearings on the truck are wet - they're lubed by the differential oil, and the front bearings on my 2WD are sealed.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
srvnt

Always find something every year during inspection. This time one magnet was laying in the drum after the 5 cent clip that holds it on broke, and the wires broke off the magnet. I don't know how long after last years inspection/greasing I didn't have brakes on that wheel just lucky no further damage.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
mtofell

I've always figured since trailers sit for so long not being used the grease can harden or break down. Also, it's a risk/benefit thing. It REALLY sucks to have a bearing go out while out on a trip.

All that being said, the 1 year thing does seem a bit over the top. I'll usually go 2 years or maybe even a bit longer.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

To know what type of brakes you have. Simply bent over and look thru the wheel spokes. If you do not know what each type looks like. Go onto the net and type in drum brakes and disk brakes. You could also look at your listed truck wheels. Those are disk brakes behind the wheels. Than no guessing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 AM   #11
notanlines

To further what Ken said: "If you do not know what each type looks like. Go onto the net and type in drum brakes and disk brakes" And then tow the trailer to your local service shop and pay the man....or woman if that's the case.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with notanlines. If you aren't familiar with the differences between disc and drum brakes by appearance, then one would have to guess that you're also not familiar with what's on the inside of a brake assembly or what's on the inside of a hub. If you're not familiar with what good bearings look like when compared to scored or burned bearings, if you don't know how to remove a grease seal, drive out a bearing race and install new ones, If you aren't sure how to adjust drum brakes properly, then the job of inspecting your trailer brakes and repacking your bearings is most likely better served by someone with the necessary skills. It's not a difficult or technically challenging task, but if you don't know what you're looking for or what you're doing, if you don't have the tools to do it right, or if you get your trailer up on jackstands, remove a wheel and have a bearing fall out of the cage or a race that's got a big groove "right down the middle" or a grease seal that won't come out...... Checking Utube videos at that time isn't real "reassuring" and could be "downright dangerous".....

So, if you have to ask, "Do I have disc or drum brakes?" You might be better served letting a knowledgeable person repack your bearings and adjust your brakes. If you want to learn, find someone who can do the job with you "watching over their shoulder" so you can see what is done, learn why it's done that way and know what to look for to confirm that the existing parts are good, bad, salvageable or need replacing.

Doing the wrong thing is probably more dangerous and likely to lead to a breakdown on the highway than just leaving your brakes and bearings alone until you can get the job scheduled and done correctly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
bobbecky

After losing a bearing a couple years ago, south side of Laredo, TX, which also tore up the brake assembly, and this was only a couple months after doing a bearing repack, was very happy that a salesman at a Redneck Trailer supply store suggested carrying a set of bearings and races for an emergency. I also carry brass punches and all the necessary tools to do the work. I was able to be back on the road in less than two hours, without a working brake on that wheel. A week later, I was able to replace all the components. Even if you are not able, it would still be good to carry a set of bearings, maybe a container of grease too, so someone could do the repair if you were not able to.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote