Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
basehorhawk

2011 or 2012?

I'm looking to purchase a new 26BHS Cougar x-Lite sometime before next spring but with this being the first time I've purchased a camper from a dealer I have a few questions.

There's a local dealership that has a 2011 model and I was looking to get opinions on if I should pursue buying it, or if it would be better to wait for / order a 2012 model.

Obviously I could save some money buying the 2011 model but would anyone have any concerns about purchasing a trailer that's been sitting on the lot for over a year. It has some scratches in the wood and a few other cosmetic things on the interior, but I'm more concerned with the slide out being left out for such a long period of time and if the dealer took care of the roof and other maintenance items like that.

If I did decide to go with the 2012 model would I be better off waiting until next spring when the local dealerships stock up - there are no 2012 26BHS in my area - or should I look into ordering one? I know you can get some good deals on campers dealers have in stock over the winter, does that apply to orders as well? Any idea approx. how much more I would have to pay to order a 2012 model vs getting the 2011?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
basehorhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
bgilly

I am partial to the new model year mostly due to the changes such as the new style front cap discussed on this forum.

I ordered my floor plan due to it was a new floor plan for 2012. Keystone did test a few 2011 units with it but when I shopped around no one in my area had it. I then began shopping for the price from local dealer to internet. I ordered my unit, got to choose my fabric colors and even upgraded my A/C to 15k btu at the factory since it was being built to order.

We love all the improvements in the 2012 including the coved ceiling (which was only in some models for 2011).
Do an internet search for the model you are interested in, look for both 2011 and 2012 and compare.

I also found it is the dealer that helps you with the pricing, not the season.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

There are lots of RV's that have sat on dealers' lots for a long time so that is not uncommon. However, I doubt whether too many dealers get up on the roofs of all of these RV's, inspect them, and "take care of them" with regards to maintaining them. If they are being kept in areas where winterizing is necessary, then that is probably carried out. You would hope that they would make routine exterior and interior inspections of their inventory but I suspect that they aren't very thorough or regular.
I would be concerned about buying a unit that has had the slides left out for months without having them retracted occasionally.
Having said that, I wouldn't be put off from buying an RV just because it is last year's model and has been sitting on the lot for a year.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
yankees1

Now is the time to buy for a better price! The dealer probably is the first consideration in getting the best price but this time of year is definitely second! Look for a big dealership. I shopped around everywhere on the net and went with Pete's RV in Indiana. The salesman I worked with ( Jack) made a big difference in getting the lowest price by far . I ordered a Passport 2650bh. PM me for more information.
yankees1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
dmatt

I'm in the same boat as you. What I have noticed is that there is a new aerodynamic front cap on the new 2012s that the 2011s don't have. I really like that look. What I've noticed out here is that the dealers don't have the new ones yet so I'm waiting until spring when they order more. There's an ongoing discussion here http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4112

As for getting older ones from the lot, we purchased our 2007 Class C in the summer of 2008 and haven't had any problems related to it sitting outside. I'm now selling it to downsize and you can see that it has a great shine even for sitting outside that long

dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
basehorhawk

Thanks for the feedback. The 2011 that they have on the lot actually has the front cap, the rounded ceiling and is pretty much equipped the way we would like it. We would probably prefer a different interior fabric but the one in there is acceptable. We are just concerned about it sitting on the lot for so long without any real maintenance being done.

Again thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has any additional comments I would appreciate them as well.
basehorhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehorhawk View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The 2011 that they have on the lot actually has the front cap, the rounded ceiling and is pretty much equipped the way we would like it. We would probably prefer a different interior fabric but the one in there is acceptable. We are just concerned about it sitting on the lot for so long without any real maintenance being done.

Again thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has any additional comments I would appreciate them as well.
One thing, if you purchase now & don't use it untill spring, half of your one year warranty will be gone. If you don't need it now, wait untill spring & start out with a full warranty and i'll bet you will not pay any more. I ordered my TT in late December (after Xmass, when the dealership was starting to get cob webbs on the ceiling) for a spring delivery & got the deal I wanted. Do your online shopping & walk in armed!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

A lot of people talk about buying in the fall and "losing" a part of their warranty. If you look at it realistically, if you buy in October, store the trailer until April, that's 5 months of "lost warranty" <hmmm> if you buy in April, use the trailer until October, store it until April, you have the same 5 months of "lost warranty" so if you get a "great deal" on what you want now, it really doesn't matter if you lose the 5 months in storage up front or next fall (assuming you buy in the spring.......)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
yankees1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A lot of people talk about buying in the fall and "losing" a part of their warranty. If you look at it realistically, if you buy in October, store the trailer until April, that's 5 months of "lost warranty" <hmmm> if you buy in April, use the trailer until October, store it until April, you have the same 5 months of "lost warranty" so if you get a "great deal" on what you want now, it really doesn't matter if you lose the 5 months in storage up front or next fall (assuming you buy in the spring.......)
Who's on third?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
Who's on third?
Sort of makes you think like that, doesn't it?????

I'm always amazed at people who think putting an RV in storage at the "end" of the warranty is better than putting it in storage at the "beginning" or "middle" of the warranty. Last time I counted, 12 months was 12 months, and putting a trailer in storage for 5 of those months left 7 months every time I calculated it.

Actually, from my perspective (others may have a different opinion), I'd like to have enough warranty AFTER the snow melts to make sure everything is working as it should rather than having it work before storage and then being on my own in the spring when the warranty is expired.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
jq1031

Well at least we know who's on 1st & what's on 2nd !!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #12
yankees1

I feel I got a " heck of a deal" on a 2012 ( this month) that I would not have got had I waited until spring. I located a used 2011 identical to the one I ordered and the owner sold his for two thousand and some change more than I paid!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
yankees1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
Well at least we know who's on 1st & what's on 2nd !!
No, he went to third !
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
I feel I got a " heck of a deal" on a 2012 ( this month) that I would not have got had I waited until spring. I located a used 2011 identical to the one I ordered and the owner sold his for two thousand and some change more than I paid!
Same with us last year. We bought for nearly $10K less than retail on an entry level trailer. Great price, already winterized by the dealer, just had to watch it sit during the winter before we used it (except for one weekend last fall). Now that was "torture" but everything came through the snow/ice without a hitch.

I'd say not to be afraid to shop during the fall, it worked for us and, like you, we saved a significant amount, in fact, enough to take one heck of a vacation this past summer <G>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
dmatt

Interesting points made about warranty and sitting for 6 mths. Never thought of that, but then we don't have to put the RV away during the winter. We have the weather to camp yr round
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
yankees1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt View Post
Interesting points made about warranty and sitting for 6 mths. Never thought of that, but then we don't have to put the RV away during the winter. We have the weather to camp yr round
Sure, go ahead and rub it in !!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
dmatt

Sorry. I'll have to restrain myself in Jan when we have 65 degrees and sunny.....

I Promise not to post any sunny day pics during the winter!!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
yankees1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt View Post
Sorry. I'll have to restrain myself in Jan when we have 65 degrees and sunny.....

I Promise not to post any sunny day pics during the winter!!
We will be in Arizona for the month of February. No trailer though! Fountain Hills area!