Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
T3/T4 Hybrid

Dont want to be rude?

Being a new person to RVing I have found that on two of my families four camper trips this year. I have had folks (mostly older guys) wanting to come over and talk my head off. While I am getting the camper packed and set up for the return trip home. This has caused me to have longer times on getting out of my camper lot and also forgetting to get gear properly stored away. I was wondering if anyone has a good way of telling these folks to back off during this critical time. I don't want to be rude to them and I don't sound that way in my post but I forgot a small vent closer on the last trip to the NC OBX so now I have to repair it. Plus I don't want this distraction to cause me something major on any future trips.

Thanks for any help on a newbie.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Wow! I think we all have run in to this situation a few times.
I try to put the problem on me. (and it is truthfully mine) I say that I have a routine that I follow and if I am distracted I will screw up. Thank them for their concern keep right on following my routine. When I am done and ready to leave I make it a point to at least give an extra friendly wave as we are pulling away. In my mind, anyone who has been RVing for a while will understand. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I try to put the problem on me. (and it is truthfully mine) I say that I have a routine that I follow and if I am distracted I will screw up. Thank them for their concern keep right on following my routine. When I am done and ready to leave I make it a point to at least give an extra friendly wave as we are pulling away. In my mind, anyone who has been RVing for a while will understand. JM2˘, Hank
Yup!! Been on both ends of that conversation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Javi

Well, I'm an old fellow but I pretty much keep to myself unless approached... then I might talk your arm off.

And since I'm also a crotchety old man, I got no problem telling you that I'm busy. Always respect a fellow who just gets to the point.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post

Thanks Hank I like this idea.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
GaryWT

You wonder where they were the rest of the trip. Why did they wait until the last day... If you kindly tell them you are on a time limit, they will hopefully get the point and move on so you can get things done. Just because it might not be close to checkout does not mean yo don't have somewhere to be. As a note for you, be sure to do a final walk around to look at everything to be sure you did everything.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
theeyres

Many there many times. I have never had anybody take offense when I just politely say, "Sorry, Joe, I have to be on the road in 10 minutes so I have to get this rig ready to travel. Thanks for dropping by. Safe travels." They understand because they have been there many times.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
outwest

Been in that situation a few times myself. I can't break camp and visit at the same time. It messes up my routine. I usually do the same sort of thing as Gary and theeyres, and say something like, "I'd like to chat more, but I guess I'd better get back to it. I'm already behind schedule and have a lot of miles to cover." Anyone who has RV'd any amount of time will understand.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:41 AM   #9
notanlines

I'm familiar with the goings on, but sort of in reverse. We find that on occasion people want to "help" guide you into the space, sometimes to the point of being a nuisance. I am one of those "old men who talk" that was mentioned earlier. RV'ing is a great place for gathering, sharing a cold one, and telling as many lies as possible in a short period of time. But it is hard to explain that my wife is most capable at giving me the directions necessary. When I'm done THEN the lies start.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote