Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Pocket Door Collapse

After arriving at our campsite, I noticed that, enroute to the bedroom, the pocket door track (and door) had pulled out of the ceiling and board to which it had been mounted. Upon inspection, the entire track which is held in place by about 7-8 screws had pulled out of the ceiling leaving the door "sitting" on the floor instead of hanging on the track.
Somehow, some of screws must have fallen into the track, jamming it and making it impossible to slide the door out. It now rests retracted in its pocket and can't be moved.
One one side of the pocket door there is an entertainment center and on the other the shower. There is no way that I am about to tear down either to get at the door.
The door won't slide on the track and it is impossible to reach inside. I can't lift the door up and refasten the track as there is absolutely no room in which to work.
I am thinking of abandoning the idea of trying to fix the door. Instead, I think I might secure the door where it now rests and install a folding door of some sort to divide the upper sleeping/bathroom area from the lower living/dining area.
We don't use the pocket door much anyway - no kids or company along --- just use it to keep our pooch from going into the bedroom and climbing up on the bed when we are away and the dog is inside.
Will consider any other ideas or suggestions...... repairing this pocket door does not look like an option.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Ron

pocket door

Hello festus2, I had a keystone challenger and had the same thing happen. The door actually came off the end of the track so i was able to take a long screw driver or something flat and fish it back on, then was able to get the door to close so i pulled off the upper trim that was screwed on and the door tipped toward that molding and then able to remove the door from the track, now the pain is to get the new screws into the track attached to the ceiling. I was able to reach in where the door was with a drill and extension with screw on the end and get the track back in place. I thought about also leaving the door in the pocket but I thought of resale so decided to fix it. Hope this helps....Happy Trails......Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

Sounds like the simularities between our 278 RKS's stops there.
My pocketdoor is on the entry side of the passageway to the bedroom.

I'm thinking that you may want to get it fixed due to the fact that if you have any kind of plumming problem with the shower isn't the shower access behind that same wall?

Just gave mine a "Close" look. The mounting screws for the board that holds the track in place are ALL above the doorway (the part you walk thru), behind the wall where it hides there are NONE. Only the 3 screws that hold the track to the board. Makes me think that if you take off the Sides (trim pieces at the top of the doorway), and remove the rest of the screws ( I count 6 on mine), you should be able to do something with it...your option from that point.

I need to pay attention to what I'm reading.....

When I worked on aircraft in the Navy we were always dropping screws and other things in hard to reach places...we were NOT allowed to leave ANYTHING behind sooooo ..... Enter the extension Magnet and mechanical fingers ( http://www.etoolcart.com/mechanicalfingerskd2391.aspx)
They will make it possiable to retreive the screws, a bit of judicious wiggeling of the door to help loosen it's grip on some and you should be able to get them out and then the rest...

Only my observations and thoughts...your mileage may vary...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Hankaye:
I am quite sure our doors are located in the same place --- just as you come in the entrance - to your right at the top of the stairway to the bedroom. And yes, the shower access is behind the wall on one side and the entertainment center and overhead cupboards on the opposite side.
Went back out to double check and I have (or had) 7 screws holding up the track and door. There are 7 "empty" holes where it looks like screws once were and have been pulled out as evidenced by the burr ring around the holes. I can just see that there is at least one screw that is protruding into the top of the track preventing the door from being drawn forward. If I can somehow poke this screw up out of the track, I may be able to get the door moving along its track and out.
More poking around is needed to see what I am able to do - or not do.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

I know that you know of which you speak...

This is MY situtation;
My pocket door hides in the curbside (RIGHT of stairway), wall behind the commode as I look at mine from the livingroom looking into Bed/Bath Combo.
My Entertainment ctr. and shower are to the LEFT of the stairway.
Of course ALL of the walls are stapled in place. Might think about screwing one wall in for access. But, that would make sense and cost more to build and couldn't make any repair $'s from us that way...

Good luck to ya. Don't let it get personnal cuz once it does you loose and an inanimate object wins.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Hankaye:
Well..... as it turns out our doors do live in different locations. Yours hides in the wall behind the toilet. Mine lurks in the wall behind the shower. Doesn't really matter where it hangs out (in my case it doesn't hang any longer), it doesn't work!
I am looking at it as a challenge. Nothing personal but should I lose to a hollow pocket door, I will be really choked! This problem will be solved.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
CarKath

Pocket doors usually have trim at the edge to close off space between door and casing. So pop off casing then remove trim on either side of door and the top if needed. You should have room to work on it, not alot. But room. This should gain you enough space to do your repairs.

If you do own a brad nailer, you may wish to borrow one to reinstall trim and casings.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

Looking at mine, again, I've noticed that the upper trim is screwed into the mounting board for the track only 2 screws on each side.
The mounting board is held into the ceiling by 6 screws that are reach'able'.
Looks designed to fail.

Looks like you are going to be having some "fun"

if you decied to fix it, were it me I'd wrap some twine around the screw threads give each a glob of Borden's carpenter's glue then screw them in.
The string (twine), helps fill the hole so the screw will have something to bite onto. and the glue, well, that's so it won't unscrew itself.

I'll leave you to have ALL the fun ...

hankaye

Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Pocket door - Final Chapter
After various and numerous attempts to remove and repair the pocket door, I have decided that it will reside - forever and permanently lodged in its pocket. It doesn't "dangle" anymore and looks very comfortable resting where it hangs. Removing it just wasn't meant to be. Thanks to those who offered suggestions and encouragement.
The pocket door is closed.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Pocket door - Final Chapter
After various and numerous attempts to remove and repair the pocket door, I have decided that it will reside - forever and permanently lodged in its pocket. It doesn't "dangle" anymore and looks very comfortable resting where it hangs. Removing it just wasn't meant to be. Thanks to those who offered suggestions and encouragement.
The pocket door is closed.
Festus, Now that you and your pocket door have reached an "accord" that both you and apparently it can live with, What, if anything are you planning to do to provide privacy, or have you come up with a "plan" yet?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH:
Up to now, the only use we have had for this door is to keep the dog out of the bedroom area (and bed) when we have to leave it inside and leave the campsite. As mentioned earlier, we have not had anyone staying with us --- so no need to block off the two areas.
We did talk about 3 options: 1) leave the door in its closed position and add nothing to take its place, 2) install an accordian-type folding door , and--3) install a curtain on a track.
For now, unless we know in advance that we will be having overnight company, we will leave things as is and when (and if) that time comes where some kind of privacy screening is necessary, then we will have to rig up something.
And that is as far as the "planning" has gone. The Peace Accord has been signed.

Oh yes --- a chair works to keep pooch out of bedroom and off our bed!