Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
GaryWT

Roads

I use to think New England roads were bad but... Drove from Newburgh NY to College Park MD yesterday and the roads around NYC down to Newark NJ were so bad. Thought I was going to start losing parts off the trailer. We were bouncing all over the place. The roads got better as we went but for about 45 minutes they were pretty bad. Will never complain about New England again.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
{tpc}

Come to michigan. Last trip we stopped half way on the way home for dinner. I recall noticing the side skirting flapping...something I hadn't noticed before. After dinner I went to look at it, sure enough all the screws were loose, some almost backed out all the way.

Had to fish out a screwdriver and circle the trailer as screws on both sides were coming loose.

And this was the northern part where the roads are actually better. I hate going in/out of ohio because the roads as you get to the border and going through detroit are horrible. I've almost got it down to science where to switch lanes now though.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Wantoride

I agree. Just came back from mass. via Delaware water gap thru PA. The roads suck all over. The trip up was the worst. The inside of the trailer was tossed quit a bit. We took a different route back and it wasn't so bad but PA roads, with concrete, really bounced a lot.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:47 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

kinda makes you wonder what they do with that toll money and road use tax we pay doesn't it?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Drive the Alaskan Hwy sometime, you will never complain about roads in the lower 48 again. My parents just got back from a trip, had to replace a front wheel bearing, windshield, and the exhaust downpipe (cracked it). Some of the frost heaves actually pulled the front wheels off the ground as the trailer dropped down in on the back side......that was at 20-25 mph. They sneak up on you without warning.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
koko

We just returned from a trip, and some of the California roads along 101 are terrible. We bounced so badly on one stretch of detour that we had to repair our stove - the screws in the particle board frame around the stove split the particle board, and our stove had slid out a couple of inches into the room. Part was poor design, but most was that road. But you know the old saying, "two seasons-winter and road construction".

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
notanlines

Any Pennsylvanians know what happens to the toll money from your interstate? (I will refrain from snide remarks here) We have traveled this country over and your highways pretty much take the cake, although not without exception.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
RdRmr

Hate to say it but our entire road system is going down hill, have been all across the country and it isn't pretty. Sure would like to know where all the fuel tax and other taxes slated for roads go. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I read about the road/gas tax's in Oregon not long ago. Around 60% collected goes to roads. The rest for bike paths/ ped walk ways, better signals for peds to cross the roads. Trees, yes trees along the roads they must put all that in to look nice for the bicycles in enjoy. We know it is not for vehicle driver's we need to watch the road. In Portland some 4 lane city streets where made into 2 lanes for, guess what bicycles!. I do not mind bicycles and have them myself but, they pay for nothing to use the roads and paths and keep demanding the motor vehicle users pay for what they want. And the public metro bus co. They get metro area home owners to pay a tax along with gas tax money, well OK they drive buses on the roads. Most of their money and gas tax money goes to the light rail line. It moves less than 10% of the people going to work. The buses move much more people. Lt rail Costs about $20 per person to carry them and they charge that person under 6 bucks. Good old state of Oregon used another 50 million of gas tax and other tax money to research building of a new I-5 bridge over about 5-7 years. Old bridge is 4 lanes, they wanted the new to be only 2 lanes but, have a light rail line and ped/bike path. At the 7 year point someone realized the bridge plan put the bridge to low for boat/ship traffic. The feds backed out of all build funds after that fact was found. Even if we could get 80 or 90% of the gas tax put back into the roads we might just have something nice to drive on. Ever wonder if the bad shape of our roads has any thing to do with bent RV axles and blown tires.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
gearhead

I sometimes wonder if it isn't a unspoken conspiracy among tree hugging state and federal road agencies to make driving on roads miserable. Much like facilities in state and national parks for RV's. It's obvious to me that I'm not wanted there.
The amazing thing to me is a brand new road ain't worth driving on. Some state inspector had to sign off on that work.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Don't forget that someone puts a contract out for bidding to the lowest bidder. If they don't have expertise in the construction field (which many contract people don't) they don't include important items about strength/build requirements. Companies place a low bid based on the contract and then build a road that is not going to last long. 5 yrs later they are spending millions more to repair a road that should have lasted 20 yrs.

Although I hate the PA turnpike and avoid it at all costs, I-80 going into CA has to be one of the worst stretches of road to travel. The surface is worn through and the tire tracks pull the trailer all over the place.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote