Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
trueweb

Fans

I'm looking for a solution for a bedroom fan. Something quiet, but not necessarily super quiet, but something that can move a reasonable amount of air and maybe even be oscillating.

We dry camp a lot at events where there are quiet times at night so generators need to be off. The AC can cool things plenty and nights are usually cool enough, but a fan would be really nice to keep air moving throughout the night.

I've seen a lot of 6" size fans on Amazon that can run off 12v, but they have questionable reviews. I can pick up an inexpensive 110V fan and use an inverter to run the fan. I just don't know how that will impact the batteries.

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with this?
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
MotownJG

Good question, waiting to see who replies....we're dry camping this week......
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I would think a desk top 110V fan wouldn't draw that many amps/watts. With a generator you could recharge in the morning.

There are formulas for figuring out how much energy a device will use but I am not a mathematician.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

A small 120 VAC fan and inverter would probably work well (provided you have a dual 12 volt battery setup or a 6 volt battery system), trying to run a fan all night on a single battery will probably be "stretching your luck."

Fantastic builds 3 speed ceiling vents that are very efficient, quiet and move a lot of air. They also introduced a "stand alone 12 VDC fan" a couple of years ago. It is essentially a Fantastic ceiling vent that's been adapted/converted to a 12 VDC box fan. It's not that expensive, doesn't require an inverter and is a very handy addition to hot weather dry camping.

You can review it here: http://www.adventurerv.net/fantastic...ogbl35kp74hnt4

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

We have a Fantastic Fan in our bedroom. It's a fairly basic model -- 3 speeds, thermostatically controlled .. no rain sensor or remote. It is efficient but it also draws 1.86 amps on the lowest setting and it is rated at 39 decibels (low setting) which may be a tad high for sleeping - especially when the fan is almost directly overhead.

We've never used it at night while dry camping so I can't comment how it effects on our 6v batteries.

You might want to check out 12v fans that are used in marine applications - on sailboats, powerboats, etc.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Steve S

I've been looking for a duel 12 volt fan that can be attached to the ceiling with 1 fan blowing 1 way and the other fan blowing the other way.
They are out there I just need to look around a bit.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
GaryWT

When I camp in a tent with the scouts I have a battery operated fan, runs off D or AA batteries. Have used it for a week without changing batteries. It is small and works well and doubles as a flashlight if needed. Probably got it at Dick's or Wally World.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
tommy_z

O2Cool now makes a 10" portable fan that runs on 8 'D' batteries, comes with a 110V adapter, and offers an optional 12V plug adapter. Or you can make your own adapter to wire to existing 12V source.

I bought two and think they do an admirable job of moving air. They are pretty quiet on high, fold for easy storage. Reviews say it will run 40hrs on new batteries.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote